What is the best alternative to PermanentTSB - EBS?

TestLink

I am with PTSB - Current account. As per the letter I got yesterday PTSB would be charging 18 euro quarterly if 2500 euro is not maintained every day. I wont be able to maintain this amount all the time.

What is the cheapest alternative - EBS? Any disadvantage in switching to EBS? No bills would be paid from this account. Just shopping + ATM cash withdrawal.

What other current account offers the best value for money even if has to pay a small monthly/yearly amount?

Same as yourself, I'm going with KBC. I'm also moving my regular saver to them, good rate with this at the mo. Very easily done & been excellent to deal with so far

Same as yourself, I'm going with KBC. I'm also moving my regular saver to them, good rate with this at the mo. Very easily done & been excellent to deal with so far

How would you compare KBC with EBS?

I can get free banking with the KBC extra once u deposit €2500 & approx 2% on regular saver. Looked better than EBS

Again, PTSB customers, who are subject to these charges, are best off simply asking PTSB to switch their current account type to PTSB Explore. PTSB Explore costs 4 EUR per month but has a debit card rebate of up to 5 EUR per month or more if you are a Sky customer.

I'm in the same boat. Trying to weigh up options. I like having a branch nearby so KBC will probably be out for me. I get cash and cheques every now and then. EBS is probably the best option.

Was interested in switching to EBS as they have zero charges. Handed over all the relevant docs to one of the EBS branches this Monday. No reply yet on my application. Also at the branch there were only two staff dealing with every thing. So bit reluctant at the moment to go EBS way due to their customer service.

Might go to AIB as they have good customer service eventhough Euro 2500 must be there in every quarter.

Any one on the same boat?

I have the EBS free account, IMO you get what you pay for. It has very basic online access, you can't see any direct debits or standing orders, nor can you add or amend any. There is no mobile app as far as I know. Also, the debit card I have from EBS is not contact-less. I don't use the account day to day, its purely for bills.

I have the EBS free account, IMO you get what you pay for. It has very basic online access, you can't see any direct debits or standing orders, nor can you add or amend any. There is no mobile app as far as I know. Also, the debit card I have from EBS is not contact-less. I don't use the account day to day, its purely for bills.

Hi username123, How do you rate EBS customer support? Can you do all the normal banking operations with EBS?

Can you transfer money to other Irish and Non Irish bank acounts? Cn you pay bills from EBS current account?

Last edited:
So most probably I would go to AIB
Why bother, they have the a minimum balance requirement also, as far as I know.

re: EBS, I have never deal with EBS customer support. As I said, I dont use the account day to day. I got it as part of my EBS mortgage 2 years ago and we setup all our for shared bills from it. I dont use it for groceries, I don't use it for personal daily use. The fact that the card is not contactless is a downer for that. The only thing I use it for is petrol, which is about once every 2 weeks.

You can transfer money to Irish payees definitely, I never tried non-Irish ones. However, the online banking is definitely a number of steps down from PTSB and AIB. It feels cumbersome, and as a heavy online user, I wouldnt have it as my main current account being honest. However, if its free banking with no conditions, you are after, then it does what it says on the tin, its no frill and no cost. Depends what is your main criteria, low cost or rich online functionality.

Last edited:
Any possibilities of An Post going down the ATM route? I'd move from my bank straight away if that option was available.

An Post already offer a current account service called Smart Account. It is expensive and has got some very bad reviews.

Is EBS ok for normal day to day banking?

I would be using the EBS card for ATM cash withdrawals, grocery shopping, online purchases etc. Would EBS charge me for this ie. switching from PTSB to EBS make any difference.

EBS Money Manager is totally FREE. If you have a smartphone you could get a Revolut basic account and this would give you a Visa debit contactless card with a great mobile app.

You can just top up from your EBS account. EBS is a great FREE option and more people should move to them but us Irish would prefer to keep complaining and take no action and make excuses etc. for not moving.

When BOI years ago changed fee's with Current Account I was gone straight away to PTSB.

EBS Money Manager is totally FREE. If you have a smartphone you could get a Revolut basic account and this would give you a Visa debit contactless card with a great mobile app.

You can just top up from your EBS account. EBS is a great FREE option and more people should move to them but us Irish would prefer to keep complaining and take no action and make excuses etc. for not moving.

When BOI years ago changed fee's with Current Account I was gone straight away to PTSB.

Thanks ...

I was using skrill, but they started charging 1% transaction fee.

I recently got revolut card, but havent used it yet.

Would I be able to use Revolut in EU and Non EU countries with out any charge?

Also can I use it to purchase online, pay in shops like Aldi / Tesco/ Lidl etc?

Back