What everyday household products are cheaper in N.I.

I

IsleOfMan

I am thinking of heading up to Northern Ireland to stock up with non perishible household goods and the like. Has anyone found this worthwhile and could you recommend some products.

In my experience, food & clothing is easily 20% cheaper.

Apparently the Sainsburys in Newry sells more alcohol than any other Sainsburys because so many people drive up from the Republic to buy booze.

I heard on the tv the other day that the Sainsburys in Newry takes most of their income in Euro, not sterling! I also heard on the news that people are travelling up from Kerry to do shopping in Newry!!

Sainsburys

Went to Sainsburys in Sprucefield Centre on Tuesday. Much nicer than the Newry one. Does not take Euro though. Even so, I definitely agree that products are much cheaper, and what a selection.

Because we were running late and just stopped in on our way home from the city centre, here is an example of what I bought.

Pizza Express Margherita Pizza -small STG£3.15, costs €4.99 in Superquinn.
La Scala Pasta Sauce 99p STG. - €2.63 in Superquinn.
Blossom Hill Californian Chardonnay STG. £3.65, €7.99 Superquinn. I checked the above prices in Superquinn this afternoon while I was there and could not believe it. Have compared the prices to Superquinn as Sainsburys would be on a par.

Another wine I bought before Christmas in Musgraves, a Douglas Green Chein Blanc which cost €7 plus 21% VAT was STG.4.69 in Sainsburys.

Stella Artois beer 40p STg.

This is just an example. Every item works out well cheaper even taking the conversion rate into account. I am also lucky as my partner is an engineer and has a couple of customers in Belfast, it would be worth my while going with him and doing some shopping while he visits his customers.

I am also planning on buying a new suite and am certainly going to price it in the north before I purchase anything here. We have access to a large van and can collect.

Sainsburys

When you say the Sprucefield Sainsburys is nicer, do you mean it is a bigger store and has a bigger selection?

Sainsburys

The Sprucefield store is brand new, brilliantly laid out, absolutely huge and would have a bigger selection than the Newry one, although the downside is that they dont take Euros.

Sainsburys

There's also a Sainsburys at Forestside in South Belfast. There's also a Marks & Spencers there at the same shopping centre, as well as many other stores.

Annual purchase.

How about toothpaste, loo rolls, shampoo, cat food, deodorants, tea, coffee, tinned foods. Is it worth while making the trip for these items?

cheap shopping

Most of that is cheaper but if you don't mind buying their own brand (not economy) you will save a lot more, Sainsburys toileteries are great, you get deodrant (identical to Sure) for about 89p, their babywipes are about half the price.
log onto their website and it will let you view their aisle and any special offers they have on.
We go up every 4 months and stock up and all we have to buy down here is fruit,veg milk & bread.

North

Beer, biscuits, breakfast cereal etc is much cheaper up North. Enniskillen is the place to go.

North

Why Enniskillen? Is it cheaper than Belfast or Newry?

N. I.

Its a bit friendlier than Newry. Its also slightly closer to me than Newry. Belfast has the biggest choice obviously.

Shopping in NI

Sainsburys in Newry accept Euro at an exchange rate of 73c, which is quite good.

My partner has ordered himself a new digital camera(he is a camera buff) from Northern Ireland. It is costing about STG £1,300 against prices he was quoted of €2,500 here. Thats some saving.

digital camera

I'd be interested to know which camera shop or is there a website ? I want to buy a camcorder and the North makes sense. Any suggestions ?

Camerashop

For cameras etctry Jessops.....they seem to be the people to speak to. Looks like they have 4 shops Ballymena,Newry, Belfast Arthur Sq. and Belfast High Street. [broken link removed]

Sainsburys

Sainsburys in Newry accept Euro at an exchange rate of 73c, which is quite good.

0.73 isn't really that good currently. At the moment eurogbp is trading at 0.6835. You should be getting .71 really.
Can't you use a credit card?

How come Newry isn't as friendly as Enniskillen? Is Newry the northern version of Dundalk?

Exchange Rate

If Sainsburys are giving 73c against each £1 STG. is that not better than 0.71?

Sainsburys at Sprucefield

Hi Amanda C

Can you tell me where this Sainburys branch is exactly? I've never heard of it. I usually shop in Newry myself.

Just as a general comment on the UK/Euro prices, I find that Sainsbury's do great 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 offers. You should watch out for these especially for shampoo/deo's etc.

Thanks and regards

Jellybean

Exchange rate

If Sainsburys are giving 73c against each £1 STG. is that not better than 0.71?

You are right AmandaC. My mistake. I live in the UK so looking at it from the wrong point of view.

Well looks like you are getting a great deal at .73 with the foreign exchange market around 0.6850. A greta incentive alone to shop in NI. Ship it in while its at that level.

Apologies again.

Sprucefield

Sprucefield, Hillsborough Road, Lisburn BT27 5UJ

Back