EBS What does an EBS "Variable Base Rate" mortgage mean?

Yes exactly
and it was not A fixed to variable just a variable and
their one stated Variable ECB Base +x.x %

what I got when i asked for a tracker ( via my broker) was a loan offer that said - variable base rate 5.25%

BTW They did not get this loan in the end - they were told its was no longer available and ended up with a fixed - that was months before the cut off in oct 2008

So the other person’s loan offer included the interest rate basis but yours did not.

If you compare the 2 interest rate types in the 2 offers (starting on tracker vs. fixed to variable base) but remove the interest rate basis, as is the case with the variable base offer, both loan offer interest rate types read as follows:

“Variable base (currently xx%)”
vs.
“Interest rate (variable): xx%”

Impossible to differentiate between the 2 offers without the basis of the interest rate being included as per the EBS mortgage terms & conditions.

Hi all, i wish to acknowledge that Peter Burke got back to me and ive replied to him.by requesting that his committee questions whoever comes in from EBS on our issue on behalf of my partner, eg his constituent.

I am hearing Aib customers who never had a tracker are being given over 1,000 euros for not being offered it , yet I have the term
“ tracker for the life of the loan “ with ebs (now Aib )and still no sign of my tracker , beggars belief , Aib need to address this now ...

Some promising news today in Independent.ie. Link below.

"BANKS have owned up to thousands of new tracker mortgage cases.

An additional 3,400 customers have been identified by the banks who were overcharged.

And the Central Bank said it was now taking enforcement proceedings against EBS, in addition to AIB, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, KBC and Permanent TSB."

https://www.independent.ie/business...-tracker-mortgage-scandal-rises-36843335.html

Nevermind.. reading articles in Irish times etc., it seems those 3400 additional accounts are from UB & AIB (prevailing rate cohort)..none from EBS!

Nevermind.. reading articles in Irish times etc., it seems those 3400 additional accounts are from UB & AIB (prevailing rate cohort)..none from EBS!
It would not surprise me if EBS customers who are affected are included under the AIB umbrella. That’s what has happened up until now i.e. AIB stating that accounts affected include EBS customers. They have never released separate figures for EBS whenever additional accounts affected have been identified.

AIB don’t want EBS customers to be identified separately from AIB customers as that would only lead to contagion of redress. If EBS customers are redressed it will be a drip feed via AIB like today and the redress won’t be consistent across customers with same issues...that’s my theory anyway!

Last edited:
Part of the radio discussions yesterday was would anyone be brought to account for what has happened in The Tracker scandal and the response was that unfortunately people had moved on ?
BUT key people in EBS in - well they have not moved on
?
These two people - Dara Deering And Kieran Tansey held key positions in EBS at the time of these tracker issues and they still hold key position in Banking / Mortgages in Ireland today - surely these people should be brought to the finance committee to answer questions on what went on in EBS regarding tracker mortgages ?

https://www.image.ie/events/dara-deering-woman-transforming-retail-banking-sector-ireland-105264

https://www.havenmortgages.ie/intermediary-information/meet-the-team

Here is a recent interview with the head of the Central Bank Phillip Lane (thanks to Bikini Window for posting in another other thread). I think it’s a a particularly relevant and positive development for the fixed to variable base cohort. Lane highlighting issue of fixed rates signed pre 2008, “badly drafted contracts” & banks not taking the customers perspective on what rate applied after the fixed rate expired:

You’ve had some public criticism recently on the handling of tracker mortgage mis-selling. Do you think that the central bank has dealt with the problem correctly? Was it alert early enough to the dangers of tracking mortgage selling? That’s a multi-layered question.

The central bank was quite aware of the tracker mortgage problem early on – it was very obvious. Basically, especially in the summer and autumn of 2008, the funding costs of banks totally changed. So they more or less withdrew tracker products in 2008. Most people who had trackers, they still had them because they were cheap. Remember: in 2006 and 2007, the ECB was raising rates. Various banks said: “If you would like a fixed rate, you can fix for a couple of years.” Where most of this arose from was that the wording of these contracts assumed the world was stable. So when the two- or three-year fixes were over, the customer would have to make a new decision. Essentially, a lot of this goes back to badly drafted contracts or banks not really fully taking the customers’ perspective about what was the appropriate rate when the fix expired. So, in 2008, 2009, 2010, the central bank issued warnings saying banks have to be careful in communication with their customers, they could not mislead them. And also in 2006, we brought in a consumer protection code that goes beyond the narrow mortgage contract, and says you have to put customers first. From that perspective, what’s happening now is basically a major victory for the consumer protection role of the central bank. The redress and compensation flowing to customers is mostly not about violating contracts. It’s mostly about the wider questions of: “Did you put the customer first? Was all the information as transparent as it should be? Was it reasonable for the customer to read the small print of footnote 29 in terms and conditions?”

In the autumn of 2017, there was a period of uncertainty because, in terms of leading to a final finish line, in terms of the banks accepting that these were the number of cases that needed redressing, that was not concluded. This goes back to the trust issue. We were saying: “This is happening – it’s on its way through the process here.” The political system was, I think, nervous, until they saw what the outcome was. Whereas now we have 30,000-plus customers receiving significant compensation, there’s a greater awareness that this indeed would not have happened without the central bank.

We all have to learn lessons from it. The counterfactual where we trigger this kind of universal exam [of tracker mortgages] at an earlier point is a reasonable question, and we have to revisit it. But, in terms of the overall process here, it’s showing the power of a central bank in delivering consumer protection that goes beyond just contract violations to the wider responsibility that financial service providers should put their customers first.

I was told there was a discussion on one of the radio shows yestserday with a person talking about how the bank was trying to 'blame the broker' for the reasons behind them not having the tracker they should have got - did anyone hear it ? or know what station's show it was on - ?

I’ve attached segments from the latest oireachtas meeting with central bank management that is relative to EBS variable base cohort. Pearse Doherty stating that “it is clear from documentation that they (EBS fixed rate customers) were entitled to roll onto a tracker mortgage rate.” Seems to be no ambiguity on this issue anymore as far as the committee are concerned.

Central bank also “continuing to focus” on EBS.

I wonder if the 1500 cases are EBS? CB indicate they are from an institution “relevant to one of the main lenders.”

Attachments

• 16269673-FBD6-496A-8302-E0FDC2DF2304.png
    16269673-FBD6-496A-8302-E0FDC2DF2304.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 412
  • 50CA5996-36FC-408A-8181-D27AEC793DAC.png
    50CA5996-36FC-408A-8181-D27AEC793DAC.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 418
  • E480946B-5073-4CE6-97FE-7836C81A0834.png
    E480946B-5073-4CE6-97FE-7836C81A0834.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 16E8C008-95C0-49A9-86C7-CDED207FFFA3.png
    16E8C008-95C0-49A9-86C7-CDED207FFFA3.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 400
  • D83ABF13-CFE7-41F0-9B28-6A042BD27C63.png
    D83ABF13-CFE7-41F0-9B28-6A042BD27C63.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 467
Thanks for this , very useful . Hopefully the resolution will come soon , we are prevented from switching until we have this resolved , this hS been like pulling teeth with a piece of wool .

Just wondering if anyone has a date for when ebs cohort will have answers , those with tracker for the life of the loan ? Another 28 day letter , like Groundhog Day , want to switch but waiting for this . Thanks

Just phoned the ebs tracker redress line , I must say very profession this time , very concise , he told me the date of review is set by central bank and the date is end of June 2018 , he is not aware that this will change ( is ebs ready etc?) , so at the moment my complaint is open ( now a number of years) , and answer should be coming in June 2018. This is good on one hand , on the other if it took years to deal with a complaint ( I had to keep reopening it as they kept closing it )in any other business this would be seen as obstructive ...

just noticed this on oireachtas.ie, AIB at the finance committee next Thursday, 21st June. While this session is not specifically on tracker review, may be worth reminding the committee members to raise EBS issues...

09.30 Joint Committee on Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform, and Taoiseach
CR2, LH 2000 Matters relating to the Banking Sector (resumed)
Representatives from Allied Irish Banks, Mr. Bernard Byrne, Chief Executive Officer

I rang the EBS tracker helpline yesterday found them to be very defensive and it was all about how AIB now speak for EBS, they would not confirm if EBS would meet with FC in July and that AIB on 21st June was only milestone he was aware of.

Hiding EBS within AIB seems to be a really important tactic to them.

Surely CB are fully aware but yet have not called out it directly except for the enforcement order.

Many thanks
BW

Mentioned on the other EBS thread that Michael McGrath mentioned to me that EBS are due to appear in july alongside AIB but he told me that AIB did try to say that they speak on EBS issues but that the committee told them they wanted somebody in from EBS as well so hopefully that is still the position.

Spoke to EBS tracker review helpline yesterday evening. I was told, AIB is due to release a statement to the media during next week before their appearance at the finance committee, so he advised me to look out for this.

Has anyone written to the Oireachtas Finance Committee asking them to ask the bank - AIB as the parent and/or EBS to confirm what exactly is meant by Variable Base Rate? I just emailed them now and would encourage anyone else to do the same before AIB appear on Thursday - it should be an easy answer for the bank, right?

*sorry can't post email link, under minimum posting

Back