Wedding cakes - how much did yours cost

Bronte

My whole wedding didn't even come close to 1/50th the price of a certain well known wedding cake, actually I didn't want a cake but sibling said I had to have one so I'm not an expert on the area.

From my reading of Irish weddings during the boom, weddings were about 30K o) but how much does a wedding cake for 200 people cost and how much did the rest of you spend on your cake.

Other than cream, fruit, icing, chocolate, flour etc and subtracting let's say 2K for expert transportation from New York, what would go into a cake that is expensive. Other than diamonds I cannot get my head around it.

Our 'post boom' wedding is costing 35K. There is no recession when it comes to weddings.

Cake is €480 however we are only have 150ish....

I didnt have a wedding cake or a traditional wedding so I wouldnt have a clue on a 'normal' cost, but I suppose its like anything, its worth what someone will pay for it. If someone out there can make a wedding cake that costs 100k and someone is willing to pay that for the cake - then the person buying the cake has more money than brains.

Although it was years ago, I'd say in todays terms our wedding cake cost about €100, maybe less. It was pretty nice too. We had a fairly traditional wedding so it's not as if we were even really trying to do it on a budget. Seemed to be fairly standard. Sure a cake is a cake, after all!

We recently paid €300 for a "cake" made from cheese and grapes - it looked amazing and was divine. Worked really well for afters. Venue provided it themselves so no transport costs.

Our 'post boom' wedding is costing 35K. There is no recession when it comes to weddings.

Nothing against you but it's a quite astounding figure, but each to their own.

In relation to cakes, I was serious about the diamonds, wondering if anyone has been to a do where the cake included something expensive in each slice, cartier watch, diamond earrings etc. Then one could see why a cake would costs thousands.

Do hotels still charge a 'cutting fee'?
I heard of this in the boom that some hotels charged a couple of euro for every slice of cake they had to cut and serve.

Well lets just say it didn't cost 100k !

Ours was baked by the brides mammy! Nice cake but lasted just about as long as the marriage!

not all but most include a 'cake cutter' or sterling silver knife in their schedule of things included in the contract.

Why do you say that?

Im not trying to answer for Bronte - I too think its an astounding figure.

I think its astounding that two people would spend that much money on what is essentially a party. Of course, perhaps you have money to burn and its a drop in the ocean for you, but for me, I couldnt justify that kind of money on a party. 35k would make a nice dent in my mortgage.

I've a son and daughter both getting married next year and I must say it's a great time to be having weddings. Hotels are falling over themselves with good deals. All the things that were charged extra for in the boom are now part of the package.
I don't think either of them will be paying in the region of €35k though. Maybe an exotic honeymoon is included in this cost??

As for the wedding cakes they'll most definitely be home made. €100k for a wedding cake is ridiculous............and guess who's footing the bill now??

Difference of opinions I guess. I don’t see it as a party more the most important day in our lives so far and something that we only plan on doing once.

We don’t have money to burn; we have saved very hard for a number of years and made a lot of sacrifices.

Depends on the hotel. Some places we were looked at are booked solid till well into 2014 so were not offering much discounts.

Yes, they is a very nice honeymoon included as well as quite an expensive engagement ring.

Each to their own. I hope it lives up to your dreams.

Im not into the traditional style wedding myself so I dont place a lot of value on it personally.

Although the mother in law still doesnt forgive us for eloping

Each to their own. I hope it lives up to your dreams.

Im not into the traditional style wedding myself so I dont place a lot of value on it personally.

Although the mother in law still doesnt forgive us for eloping

As I said; difference of opinion.

Once my financee is happy when I'm happy (I'm learning early )

€100k for a wedding cake is ridiculous............and guess who's footing the bill now??

Hadn't thought of that, I think the least we should be entitled to know is the ingredients and a picture of it. I'd also like to know what it tasted like.