water from overflow pipes

pator

I seem to have a lot of water coming from the overflow pipes that come out of the attic
Any ideas why this might be happing?
More importantly I suppose could it indicate someting serious?

Yes this is an important warning to you! These pipes, commonly referred to as "overflow" pipes are more properly called "warning " pipes and are there to warn you that something is amiss! You will probably find that the incoming mains feed ballcock is defective in some way and is not shutting off the water fully when the tank has refilled- allowing water to flow continuously- even if only a trickle. Investigate the cause and if in any doubt consult a plumber. The repair is straight forward and inexpensive (replacement of a valve seat/ diapraghm or careful cleaning). This is a common enough fault as this ballcock is subject to wear and tear with usage over time.

It might also be coming from the venting pipe from your immersion tank or central heating system I think. I think this is the problem I am having from looking at where the water is spitting out from in my attic. I suspect my immersion thermostat is not working (not switching off) and the water boils and then starts spitting into the expansion tank in the attic and then through the overflow pipe there. Can anyone confirm my suspicions as to the cause please ?

dosfromclare said:
It might also be coming from the venting pipe from your immersion tank or central heating system I think. I think this is the problem I am having from looking at where the water is spitting out from in my attic. I suspect my immersion thermostat is not working (not switching off) and the water boils and then starts spitting into the expansion tank in the attic and then through the overflow pipe there. Can anyone confirm my suspicions as to the cause please ?

This is also a likely cause, if the water is that hot you'll know when you turn on the hot tap. A faulty ball cock will produce a continuous leak, whereas an overheating cylinder will cause intermittent water flow from the warning pipe.

Hi guys, thanks very much for the detailed and helpfull replies.
I was away over the weekend and purposely left both the heating and imersion turned off from saturday am, when I returned late last nite there was water coming from the pipes. Would this indicate that its a main feed problem rather than a heating problem?

go up into the attic - taking a good torch with you (if its not plywood floored, watch your footing!). Check the ballcock in the tank. If you can hear/see water flowing continuously - and you know theres no taps, etc running in the house at the time -then thats your problem.

pator - how old is the tank? Reason I ask is that the newer plastic assembly is easier to repair than the older brass ones. If it is an old brass ball cock & valve then there is one point just after after the removal of the ball cock arm where a little brass cylinder falls out of the valve and into the murky depths of your tank. Keep an eye out for this as it can be very hard to find.....

Dont forget to turn off the main water supply before the repair.

As carpenter says this is a very simple and satisfactory repair. The diaphram only costs a few cents....

Sorry for bringing this back up but it got good replies.

I have 3 overflow pipes coming from the side of house. I believe they are from main bathroom, ensuite and downstairs loo.

One drips continously- could this be a defective ballcock in one of the toliets or is it definitely coming from water tank in attic

Thanks
Charliec

All toilets have a facility for the connection of an overflow pipe- but I've never seen an overflow connected! If your toilet cisterns do indeed have overflow warning pipes connected these should be readily visible. Remove the cover to the cistern and in addition to the 1/2" cold feed to the ball valve you will see an overflow pipe connected, usually on the opposite side to the ball valve. Such overflow pipes rely on gravity fall to discharge the water so the pipes will generally discharge at waist height through the external wall or through a roof soffit in the case of a dormer dwelling. If the above is not the case you may investigate the storage tanks in the attic. This would account for two overflow pipes, one for the main cold storage tank and one for the expansion tank in the case of an open vented central heating system.

I had a look in my ensuite cistern- This toilet is from eighties. There appears to be an overflow pipe connected and the water level in the cistern is too high and meets it. My other ancient toilets water level is below the overflow pipe.

I think I need to replace the ballcock or something. Thanks for your help

I had a look in my ensuite cistern- This toilet is from eighties. There appears to be an overflow pipe connected and the water level in the cistern is too high and meets it. My other ancient toilets water level is below the overflow pipe.

I think I need to replace the ballcock or something. Thanks for your help

Try adjusting the ball float so that the cistern does not overflow; try this before buying/ replacing anything. Ball floats are adjustable to allow the water fill to be regulated up or down.

If your sure it's the cistern that's overflowing - before you go and replace the ballcock see if giving it a couple of turns stops the flow up and out the overflow.

The plastic/rubber diaphragm disk which is in the fitting that lets the water out may be damaged, they are very cheap to replace (< 3€) and easy too. Just shut off the water, at the end of the arm where the ballcock is attached you will see where the arm goes into the fitting. Unscrew the end of it and carefully remove the diaphragm, clean it and replace it. See if that works, if not replace it.

Hi guys,

Just reraising this thread again. I am having the same problem with my overflow pipe (ie water coming out of it intermittantly) and I went up to the attic to investigate. There was indeed a constant trickle of water from the ball cock leading me to believe it is defective. I was thinking of trying to replace it myself but I read above I should turn off the mains water supply? Where would I find this....I live in a 3 year old house in a housing estate so I presume they should all be in a similar place??

Also, I noticed there were two tanks in the attic, one with the ball cock on it and one beside it. The second one was full of water, but it seemed like it is never used as there is a large layer of scum at the top? What would this be for.

Thanks

More than likely in a new estate, your mains water can be turned off outside. There should be a small cap in the path in front of your house. Remove this and more than likely, you can just turn off water supply with your hand.

Thanks for the reply, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the front of the house, and I lifted up the two square covers at the back of the house and they just seem to be drain pipes.

Its not the small metal thing out on the path in front of the house with "Uisce" written on it?! That looks like I'd need a wrench to turn that? If I did it wouldn't affect anyone elses house would it, or cause air locks or anything?

Its not the small metal thing out on the path in front of the house with "Uisce" written on it?!
uisce....?....yeah, theres a good chance thats its alright :D.
Sounds like its the older type. Maybe the neighbours have the metal widget that will fit in there to turn it off. If not your local builders providers.

There also should be a tap under the sink that would turn off the water.
This would be easier than turning off the mains on the road, although it is good to know where that is.
The second tank in the attic would be expansion tank for the heating system.

Back