Waste Disposal & Receipts.

Local Topaz stations seem to be the place to look. Already they have clothing banks, they are agents for Parcel Motel and last time I looked they had coin operated washing machines and dryers in a designated sector if the car park.

If Tiger worms escape in to my back garden from the wormery, can they do any damage to the regular worms that live there?

The garage has a large waste compacting machine. You pay your €7 and get a code in the garage, enter the code on the machine, a slot opens and in goes your waste. Usually a bag the size of a large bin liner will fit. BTW, Gorey Recycling Centre has a recycling bin for waste food. I would be surprised if other Council run centers did not have something similar.

Sorry, but my curiosity is piqued, how often a year do you avail of this facility?
A large bin liner is about 125 lites, and your previous post indicated you dispose of a fruit/veg bag per week. So that’s about 2.5 litres. That’s about once a year. Surely there’s a horrendous stink when you open your bin? Even my conventional wheelie bin with its heavy close fitting lid has a whiff when I put it out, every two weeks.

No fruit/veg, it’s all composted. The only stuff that goes into the big bin facility is soft plastic wrapping, and other general odds and sods like worn non-metal household goods, broken crockery, stuffing from duvets, pillows, worn clothing not fit for charity shops...... It can get a bit smelly but we keep a lid on the bin where we have the large refusac. We’re good recyclers and pay €2 a visit to the local recycling Centre where we recycle hard plastics, paper, newspapers, cardboard, broken household metal items, batteries, glass, cans, tins etc. We have plenty of room in the shed where we store the recycling material for about 2 weeks before we go to the Centre.

The last place I lived I’d considered no waste collection and the use of the council run waste/recycling amenity.

However, it was just too much hassle. To give you an example, of just “plastic bottles”, I can put milk containers, shampoo bottles, soft drink bottles, and their lids, into my green recycling bin.
However, the civic amenity required all of these separated. So the option is to stand in the amenity, separating them all and removing lids every time I’d visit. Or else, have four separate containers at home for these. And that’s just “plastic bottle”. Think of all the other recycling which they also had sub-categorised!
One time I did a big clear out and I had 16 containers of sub-divided recycling waste categories. 16!
All of these could go in ONE green recycling bin!
I wouldn’t have room for 16 containers.

Maybe this facility was an exception.

Back