Waste Disposal & Receipts.

WaterWater

When depositing recyclable waste in the council controlled waste disposal areas for free, should we be asking for a receipt to show that we are disposing of this legitimately? We may be asked when the inspector calls?
Is it right that we should be required to hold receipts or should the council be required to keep a record of our visits?

This is a proposal for now but a good point to consider, It is household waste disposal methods they would focus upon.

We don’t have a contract with a waste disposal company because our actual unrecycled waste would not fill a small plastic bag (the size available in shops for fruit and veg) every week. We recycle paper, cardboard, glass, cans, food tins, hard plastics, batteries, light bulbs, small used electrical items etc. in our local recycling facility. This costs €2 each visit. We compost all fruit and veg peelings, vacuum contents and use the compost on our shrubs.
So, we have a bin into which we put our actual waste and when it is full, we bring it to a local garage and use their waste disposal machine, at a cost of €7. Up to now we didn’t keep receipts, but we’ll keep them from now on in case of an inspection by the Waste Inspectors

we bring it to a local garage and use their waste disposal machine, at a cost of €7.
I am in a very similar situation except I don't have a local garage that will offer this service. I would be interested to hear of other alternatives available other than bringing my household waste to the local tip which has gone very costly.

I was looking at the website for the Ballyogan tip head/recycling park. I see that it is €8 charge for a standard car boot full of domestic waste. However it says "no food waste". Where do I dispose of my food scraps?

My domestic waste consists of food scraps only. I would never fill a car boot with what I have, so being charged €8 for a small bag seems on the high side. Likewise I don't want to have a smelly bin/container full of this type of waste in my home until such time as it makes it economical to go to the tip head.

Like Eithneangela is there anywhere available where I could dispose of a small container per week of food scraps for a nominal charge?

[broken link removed]

How does a waste disposal service at a local garage work ? I never heard of such a facility.

The garage has a large waste compacting machine. You pay your €7 and get a code in the garage, enter the code on the machine, a slot opens and in goes your waste. Usually a bag the size of a large bin liner will fit. BTW, Gorey Recycling Centre has a recycling bin for waste food. I would be surprised if other Council run centers did not have something similar.

I see that it is €8 charge for a standard car boot full of domestic waste. However it says "no food waste". Where do I dispose of my food scraps?
No. If you read the detail, the €8 is for Green Waste. It looks as if general waste is €30 per car.

However nowhere can I see where to, or how to dispose of "food waste".

If you are bringing food waste to Ballyogan, can someone clarify how/where do you dispose of this and the cost?

Ballyogan dont take food waste. This is an extract from their booklet on their website

upload_2019-2-18_10-16-44.png

Ballyogan dont take food waste. This is an extract from their booklet on their website
I wonder if people are mixing the food waste in with the Green waste?

It seems silly that there is nowhere to offload, food waste, biscuit and crisp wrappers, broken drinking glasses, broken cutlery.

I wonder if people are mixing the food waste in with the Green waste?

It seems silly that there is nowhere to offload, food waste, biscuit and crisp wrappers, broken drinking glasses, broken cutlery.

I'd have thought that this would fall under "domestic refuse"?

Is it right that we should be required to hold receipts or should the council be required to keep a record of our visits?
Good point. How do you prove that you disposed of your recyclables responsibly?
Will we be required to show any council employee our composting area or wormery?

They're common enough in rural areas.
Here's an example I could find without disclosing my own location!

https://bigbin.ie/locations/

There's very few areas listed, a couple in Cork, a couple in Kerry and the south east. Hopefully the company will expand to cover all regions. It has the potential to be a great option for the many who recycle wisely.

There's very few areas listed, a couple in Cork, a couple in Kerry and the south east. Hopefully the company will expand to cover all regions. It has the potential to be a great option for the many who recycle wisely.
There are other companies in other areas.

Back