W1TTY - anyone using it?

Does anyone know if the W1TTY 'Student+' card also offers the 3% cashback, or is it only the 'Every1' card that gives this reward?

Setting up the account & getting the card to work took some time but now it's working nicely. The cashback does add up, even though the fine print shows that quite a lot of spending doesn't qualify (e.g. utilities and gym membership). Going to test if it works for dental hygienist next week. The app is easy to use & intuitive, but unlike most other fintechs bank transfers aren't instantaneous so topping up takes planning ahead.

Setting up the account & getting the card to work took some time but now it's working nicely. The cashback does add up, even though the fine print shows that quite a lot of spending doesn't qualify (e.g. utilities and gym membership). Going to test if it works for dental hygienist next week. The app is easy to use & intuitive, but unlike most other fintechs bank transfers aren't instantaneous so topping up takes planning ahead.
Without SEPA instant, I don't think I could be bothered with planning expenditure and possibly leaving funds exposed to a business that seems destined to fail.

Without SEPA instant, I don't think I could be bothered with planning expenditure and possibly leaving funds exposed to a business that seems destined to fail.
It's definitely frustrating, particularly if you wanted to use it for a short-notice expensive purchase but didn't want to risk leaving large amounts sitting in the account.

how long did it take for your card to arrive? Im waiting 2 weeks already

how long did it take for your card to arrive? Im waiting 2 weeks already
I took about two weeks but they told me it can take up to 30 days. Also, the in-app instructions don't explain that if you change the PIN in the app you also have to go to an ATM afterwards to confirm it.

Last edited:
The small print states you can't claim on water/electricity/gas, but can you claim back on your Sky/Virgin/Eir with this?

Their home page states; "Up to 50% Cashback on selected brands. We are partnering with leading brands in your country to offer cashback on each."
Can anyone share specific details on these brands and offers?

Going to test if it works for dental hygienist next week.
Hi Tom, did you successfully claim back on your dental bill?

Their home page states; "Up to 50% Cashback on selected brands. We are partnering with leading brands in your country to offer cashback on each."

W1TTY do not have brand deals in Ireland.

BTW, I have got over 150 EUR in cashback from W1TTY thus far! Great offer!

The small print states you can't claim on water/electricity/gas, but can you claim back on your Sky/Virgin/Eir with this?

Hi Tom, did you successfully claim back on your dental bill?
Had to postpone the dentist to mid-November. Will let you know how it goes.

Just noticed that any transactions I made between 31st of August and around the 23rd of September aren't showing in my pending or paid cashback section. Support are checking it for me. Might want to make sure ye aren't missing a load of days as well. Not great that we need to keep an eye on this type of thing.

Prob. stupid question, but how do they make money after giving 3% away - is this still lower than the fees they get for using their card?

Prob. stupid question, but how do they make money after giving 3% away - is this still lower than the fees they get for using their card?
Fees they can charge to merchants are capped EU-wide at 0.2 %. I think their business model is based on deals with businesses giving discounts to W1TTY customers in exchange for W1TTY getting a cut, but not sure if this is going to work.

They make money from paying no interest to customers and earning interest themselves on the balances + FX fees + top up fees + the small merchant card fees. But all this would hardly equate to what they pay out for the 3% cashback. I would guess that it is a promo to attract customers and will be reduced at a later date.

I would guess that it is a promo to attract customers and will be reduced at a later date.
Yes, it's a "temporary" loss leader. They keep moving out the temporary end date. I'm assuming they've modelled a scale they want to reach before reducing or removing.

balances + FX fees + top up fees +
I guess most users will be clever enough to avoid those fees, e.g.by using Revolut for FX. That seems to be a challenge for fintechs: people motivated to open an account with one provider generally have several accounts with several providers and cherry pick from their offerings.

Last edited:
Yeah. Some speculation elsewhere that the 3% cashback might get replaced with 1% cashback. I guess we will know on Tuesday if that happens or not.

Cashback offer is over and has not been replaced. Don’t see any reason to continue using W1tty

Yeah. Their homepage says that a new cashback offer is coming soon. Hopefully they will announce something soon.

Need to keep the account open for 45 days post expiry of the old offer anyway to get remaining pending cashback.

Back