Visa Debit - who offers them?

In regard to the fees around using this card, we charge €5 per non-Euro ATM withdrawal and €2.50 per non–Euro debit card usage.

Regards,

Postbank

In relation to the set-fee of €5 and €2.50 respectively, can you please confirm whether you apply a currency conversion fee too? If so, can you please specify the current rate? I had a look on your site but am unable to find anything on this.

Thanks!

In relation to the set-fee of €5 and €2.50 respectively, can you please confirm whether you apply a currency conversion fee too? If so, can you please specify the current rate? I had a look on your site but am unable to find anything on this.

Thanks!

Hi Kimmage,

I can confirm that there are no additional currency conversion fees in addition to the charges you have listed.

For a full list of any fees and charges that apply to our current account, go to our website, (postbank.ie) click the 'daily banking' link, then the 'Everyday Account' link and finally the 'free banking' link. There is a link to our fees & charges schedule on that page if you want to have a read.

Sorry we can't give you a direct link, as we need 15 posts before we're allowed to do so!

Postbank

Norfbank,

Our Maestro card is not currently accepted online. If we can be of help in answering any other queries feel free to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Postbank

Any plans to allow the card to work online?

Hi Kimmage,

I can confirm that there are no additional currency conversion fees in addition to the charges you have listed.

For a full list of any fees and charges that apply to our current account, go to our website, (postbank.ie) click the 'daily banking' link, then the 'Everyday Account' link and finally the 'free banking' link. There is a link to our fees & charges schedule on that page if you want to have a read.

Sorry we can't give you a direct link, as we need 15 posts before we're allowed to do so!

Postbank

Hi Postbank!

Thanks for getting back to me. I had a look at that on your site thanks for directing me to it.

The 2.50 and 5.00 fees seem very reasonable considering there are no other charges. Usually banks charge a fee and then a conversion fee as a % of the transaction. This one-off fee is great.

Cheers
Kimmage.

Laser is owned by the big 4. They are not keen to end their closed system debit card.

it would appear not... .........Laser Card Services Ltd. c/o IPSO 14 Cumberland Street Dun Laoghaire Co. Dublin Ireland

Sorry if my response seemed repetitive - no sign in my thread that you were already aware of it. Good luck with your search.

So you know where we stand, we offer a Maestro debit card. (the mastercard equivalent of the visa debit card)

Actually, the real equivalent would be a Debit Mastercard - not Maestro, and certainly not the crippled Maestro card that Postbank currently offers.

If Postbank had any sense, they'd be hitching their wagon to Visa Debit or Debit Mastercard (and be the first in Ireland to do so) in order to capture market share. Of course that would require dealing with cardholder-not-present transactions/non chip-and-pin transactions and chargebacks - all those things normal banks have to put up with in the course of providing useful services, such as the ability to shop online or pay for goods abroad reliably to their customers.

The An Post card does not work online.

This is a big limitation.

Laser is not that accepted online.

An Post should swith to VISA Debit Cards.

Ulster have a Visa Debit. Just set up a current account. Their branch in Beacon South Quarter, Sandyford is open on Thursdays until 7pm and Saturdays 10am - 1pm

Just wondering if the fact that debit cards other than VISA don't work online is such a big deal if one has a credit card as well?

Are there many occasions when using a debit card online would be cheaper to use than a credit card (assuming credit card bill cleared each month)?

I'm looking at my own debit card usage online, and can't see any reason for not using a credit card for those transactions instead when I have to give back my Halifax card!

As per other threads, Permanent TSB will offer Visa Debit cards this year. I have been told that Visa Debit will be offered from this summer.

A fourth bank will also soon adopt Visa Debit.

I got my UB Visa Debit card (to replace my Halifax Visa Debit card) and it worked a treat everywhere until tonight trying to play the lotto on line. I had allready submitted the new card details last week but when I went to transfer funds into the lotto a/c 3 times it said...err

"Unable to complete wallet transaction because of authorisation failure."

Rang Lotto support and was told eh... we don't accept any kind of Debit cards and I explained I had been using my Halifax Visa Debit card for months with no problems....very strange....I've banged off an email to them.

ESB told me they don't do them either...but after pointing out a few facts to them I got an apology saying that they have only recently introduced them.

Update: Lotto says can only play on line with an Irish Credit Card the reason being as it confirms you are over 18. Anyone know if the over 18 rule applies also to owning a Visa Debit Card?

Lidl is another shop that had to be put straight on Visa Debit. You need to be very forceful with them and not take no for an answer. Their staff are totally clueless shouting "Laser only!, Laser only!" This is despite it clearly marked on their doors and sales materials that they accept Visa Debit.

Back