Visa Debit - who offers them?

NorfBank

Presumably this question will be/has been asked a few times in different Halifax threads. Apologies if has been answered elsewhere.

Are Ulster Bank the only lender than offers Visa Debit cards?

Good question, and one that I also would like an answer to, seeing as I will have to change banks too. :(

Ulster Bank do a Visa Debit card now, will be changing over to them now too

Got my Visa Debit card yesterday - great addition to my wallet. As I always pay off my bill in full I am going to ditch the actual credit card now and use this one exclusively. Ulster Bank issued it.

Another Halifax orphan here!

A related question on Ulster Bank Visa Debit Cards - I noticed on their website that they offer free ATM withdrawals only at certain ATMs --

If you use your ServiceCARD or CashCARD in a cash machine owned by Ulster Bank, First Active, Easy Cash, Royal Bank of Scotland or NatWest in the Republic of Ireland and Eurozone you will not be charged

Am I reading this correctly - does this mean that using AIB, BoI, etc ATMs will incur a fee? It certainly reduces the number of "free-use ATMs" if it does!

Halifax didn't charge a fee for using any ATM (although I did read the AAM post where someone was charged), so it would be something to watch for if switching to UB.​

I also am with Halifax. They did not seem to have a minimum fee either for using your Visa Debit card outside the eurozone. It as just 1.75% (ATM or POS).

Where as according to UB's fees from their website, they charge nearly 3.5% for using your ATM card outside the eurozone with a minimum charge of €3

Does An Post offer a debit card?
I don't think so. I know there are a few visa debit products now where you just load them up beforehand. I wonder what the transaction fees are like with these?
They wouldn't be as convenient (would have to make sure enough funds loaded into them first) but any advantage fees-wise?

I am not charged for using AIB, BOI or indeed PTSB and NIB atms - UB card here.

Does An Post offer a debit card?
They offer a maestro card which will work in the majority of ATMs in Ireland. It will only work as a debit card in about 60% of merchants in Ireland. Its acceptance outside of Ireland is very patchy indeed and it attracts very high fees. It does not work online at all.

They offer a maestro card which will work in the majority of ATMs in Ireland. It will only work as a debit card in about 60% of merchants in Ireland. Its acceptance outside of Ireland is very patchy indeed and it attracts very high fees. It does not work online at all.

Its like being back in the 80's

AIB offer a Debit Card also. According to the relevant current account's TOC's any potential charges can be offset by ensuring you utilise your Debit card one per 'fee quarter' and at least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking, again in each 'fee quarter'. Has anyone out there experience of using this account and if so are there any 'gotchas' as regard fees?

According to their Personal Current a/c blurb they do offer a Debit card ([broken link removed]).

What is the AIB Debit Card?

The AIB Debit Card allows you to access your funds from your AIB Personal Current Account. With an AIB Debit Card you can withdraw cash from ATMs and make purchases wherever the Laser or Maestro logos are displayed.
Nope. Just Laser.

Hi Norfbank,

So you know where we stand, we offer a Maestro debit card. (the mastercard equivalent of the visa debit card) The An Post debit card that was mentioned earlier in the thread is actually the Postbank debit card that is provided in conjunction with our current account, the Everyday account.

In regard to the fees around using this card, we charge €5 per non-Euro ATM withdrawal and €2.50 per non–Euro debit card usage. For clarity, we will not charge any withdrawal fees or debit card fees anywhere in the eurozone. Government stamp duty is also applied to the account each year as with all ATM/debit cards, but there are no other fees or charges in relation to the usage of the card itself. We do also offer free banking on everyday transactions as standard.

In regard to acceptance of the card, the vast majority of retailers who accept Visa and Mastercard will also accept the Maestro debit card as a form of payment.

Regards,

Postbank

Hi Norfbank,

So you know where we stand, we offer a Maestro debit card. (the mastercard equivalent of the visa debit card) The An Post debit card that was mentioned earlier in the thread is actually the Postbank debit card that is provided in conjunction with our current account, the Everyday account.

Postbank

does it work online or is bond-007 correct in his assumption?

Norfbank,

Our Maestro card is not currently accepted online. If we can be of help in answering any other queries feel free to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Postbank

Why was it only Ulster Bank and Halifax that brought us the Visa Debit card and not even one of our own banks, it is 2010 isn't it.....pinch me.:(

Back