Visa Debit - who offers them?

Norfbank,

Our Maestro card is not currently accepted online. If we can be of help in answering any other queries feel free to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Postbank

So we can't avoid the Ryanair charges with the An Post Maestro then?

I got my UB Visa Debit card (to replace my Halifax Visa Debit card) and it worked a treat everywhere until tonight trying to play the lotto on line. I had allready submitted the new card details last week but when I went to transfer funds into the lotto a/c 3 times it said...err

"Unable to complete wallet transaction because of authorisation failure."

Rang Lotto support and was told eh... we don't accept any kind of Debit cards and I explained I had been using my Halifax Visa Debit card for months with no problems....very strange....I've banged off an email to them.

ESB told me they don't do them either...but after pointing out a few facts to them I got an apology saying that they have only recently introduced them.

Update: Lotto says can only play on line with an Irish Credit Card the reason being as it confirms you are over 18. Anyone know if the over 18 rule applies also to owning a Visa Debit Card?

I am in the same position, my Halifax Debit Card worked fine, but my Ulster Bank Debit card does not.

I got the same answer; it needs to be a Credit Card so that we are sure the person is over 18.

However that argument is just wrong, because it is possible to get an additional card holder that is under 18 with MBNA for example.

I liked to play online lotto rather than going to the shop and found that using my debit card is my preferred choice rather than my credit card. If AnPost codes the transaction as gambling one might get problems with the card provider as some regard gambling with different APR and also bad for account reviews.

They could just offer that you proof your age by uploading a passport copy and then enabling Debit cards. But I assume that would create too much cost.

I am in the same position, my Halifax Debit Card worked fine, but my Ulster Bank Debit card does not.

I got the same answer; it needs to be a Credit Card so that we are sure the person is over 18.

However that argument is just wrong, because it is possible to get an additional card holder that is under 18 with MBNA for example.

I liked to play online lotto rather than going to the shop and found that using my debit card is my preferred choice rather than my credit card. If AnPost codes the transaction as gambling one might get problems with the card provider as some regard gambling with different APR and also bad for account reviews.

They could just offer that you proof your age by uploading a passport copy and then enabling Debit cards. But I assume that would create too much cost.

Hi DT I have a bit of an update.....they are reviewing their system and welcome customer feedback.

I pointed out that Visa Debit is becoming very popular Aldi/Lidi/ESB etc and could make Laser redundant in time and that PTSB is introducing them in September so hopefully they will take this on board I also pointed out that there are other ways they could validate age. (god there so backward)

Back