Virgin turning off analogue tv early June

Is is something like this? How far are you from transmitter? This one says it has range up to 15 miles.

Would there be many tall buildings etc between you and Three Rock?
This is the 1 I have

I'm abut 12km's from 3 rock. No large buildings around me but there are a lot of trees which means I'm stuck with Virgin for my main TV viewing as Sky could'nt get a dish high enough!

Last edited:
I get all the saorview channels....rte 1,2, News, Junior and rte+1. V1,2,3. Tg4
Based in D6W

im in rathfarnham and it says my nearest aerial is three rock and its 15 miles away so doubt your aerial will work with mine

No way Rathfarnham to Three Rock is 15 miles...12km's by road from where I am and your closer to Three Rock than I am

I'm in Santry and I get perfect HD from 3 Rock using an indoor aerial. (I am 2nd floor in an apartment)

Is the change in service - a change to contract ? Can I use it to break existing contract... i received letter via post

Is the change in service - a change to contract ? Can I use it to break existing contract... i received letter via post

Read both ours and a relative's letter and don't recall any mention of being able to opt out of contract. They did away with as far as I can recall 3 stations and only reinstated 1 which was GOLD. I understand it was to do with an argument over money with a UK supplier. That would probably be a better option to argue your point.
Check it out with ComReg

Just came across this article also [broken link removed]

Most TVs have digital tuners, so you won't need a box. If they have HD screens they definitely do

My last two HD TVs had digital tuners but didn't have MPEG4 tuners required for Saorview as a lot of the higher end models sold here up until a few years ago were configured for the UK market where they were still on MPEG2.

Got an internal antenna terrible very in and out.

In tallaght so not too far from tree rock but shocking signal, will probably take the hit and get one more box from UPC.

Got an internal antenna terrible very in and out.

In tallaght so not too far from tree rock but shocking signal, will probably take the hit and get one more box from UPC.

Is it amplified? I'm further from Three Rock than you and get pretty solid reception with an old amplified internal one.

Got a one for all passive ie not amplified aerial. Doesnt need a separate plug.
In D3 works perfectly in one room, in the other room its a bit flakier ... got a good signal but it was hanging off a chair pointed towards three rock.

Both rooms are downstairs. Good to have as an option for one room at least.

My update. I was on analogue with three rooms viewing.
I pushed Virgin loyalty and was given a free Horizon Box for room one. A free second box for room two. The services of a Ninja to install these for free. I got their mid package, normally €30 per month for €20. I got the charge for my second room TV reduced to €5 per month from €11. All this on a 12 month contract.
My third room is still on analogue. It is never used. We tried plugging in an aerial to see if we could get SaorView but got nothing despite the three rock mountain being about 3 miles away and visible from the room the TV is in. Any thoughts why we are getting no signal?

I haven't received any monthly bills yet. It will be interesting to see if all of the above falls in to place.

My third room is still on analogue. It is never used. We tried plugging in an aerial to see if we could get SaorView but got nothing despite the three rock mountain being about 3 miles away and visible from the room the TV is in. Any thoughts why we are getting no signal?

Does the TV have a built in SaorView tuner? With my TV, it has built in Saorview tuner, I just went through the menu for 'cable' and did an auto tune for channels and it found all of the Saorview channels, plus RTE radio.

We tried plugging in an aerial to see if we could get SaorView but got nothing despite the three rock mountain being about 3 miles away and visible from the room the TV is in. Any thoughts why we are getting no signal?

What make & model is the TV?

Not all digital tuners are created equally, and Saorview requires an MPEG4 receiver. UK FreeView used MPEG2 encoding for it's standard def offerings, so many TVs sold here (as we generally get UK spec variants) didn't come with an MPEG4 capable tuner, even after Saorview launched. The majority of sets on sale now though, will have an MPEG4 tuner, even if they have not been submitted by the manufacturer to be officially Saorview approved.

Back