Virgin turning off analogue tv early June

I find the best way to communicate with VM is using their chat support facility on their website. That way you can also get a transcript of the "conversation" which can be useful evidence in the event of any subsequent disagreement.

Analogue Radio is being switched off as well.

I'm wrong -well in the short term. No plan's at present to turn off Analogue Radio. I just spoke with a Tech on my road. It could go in late 2019 or maybe 2023 but that's pure speculation -going nowhere for the moment.

I spoke to a manager in their customer service department who didn't know that there was a "talk to" service on Boards.ie. Although having spoken to them I was no wiser after the event.

No plan's at present to turn off Analogue Radio. I just spoke with a Tech on my road.

I have just seen this on the boards.ie page so I presume it's correct.

upload_2018-8-8_18-27-54.png

It's so frustrating that I had spent so much time looking for a way around this and so many Virgin Media reps have misled people.

I had almost cancelled by Virgin Media and bought a FreeSat box.

Brendan

I'm watching a BBC programme at the moment and there is a message running across the bottom of the screen telling me that they are switching off their analogue service. It is extremely annoying. Why not have it on for 5 minutes at the start of each programme and then switch it off.

Virgin Media are switching off their analogue TV service.

What incentives are they offering people to continue to do business with them?

FREE upgrade to Digital TV as far as I know.

Not so sure about that. If you push you might get a free box plus free installation in ONE room. Those of us who have enjoyed the facility of a second room viewing for ourselves or children will have to pay to continue to see what we already have and in some cases already paid for in our annual subscription.

I understand you will have to pay for the second box and pay for installation. You will then be charged double per month compared to what you are already paying for this service.

They will not allow existing customers opt for their cheaper Freedom TV package which is comparable to the analogue service.

They are not doing anybody any favours.

If you already paid in advance for analogue points you would get a credit back pro rata. The digital multiroom boxes as they are called do work out more expensive than an analogue point but you get more channels.

Some people had FREE extra analogue points - the FREE ride is over I'm afraid.

The digital multiroom boxes as they are called do work out more expensive than an analogue point but you get more channels.
Not everybody wants extra channels. Virgin won't allow people move to their Freedom TV package which is almost identical to the old analogue package.
Why are they not offering the actual box for the extra room, free to their existing analogue customers.

I have a number of TV's gathering dust around the house. Some HD some not HD enabled. These are mainly located in no longer used rooms.

We have a second room where we sometimes watch TV. We were thinking of having Saor View in this room. Can we watch Saor View using one of our old TV's. My understanding is that I will need a box and aerial. Is this correct? Can I record on to one of my old video recorders?

Is there any point in purchasing yet another TV to add to the pile. I'm thinking of a Saor View enabled TV. Will I still need an aerial to receive Saor Vie on a Saor View enabled TV?

Finally. You can see the Three Rock Mountain from our bedroom. I believe that this is where Saor View is transmitted from. Do I still need an aerial to pick this up. Could an aerial be placed in my attic or even on my window sill to receive the service rather than have an aerial put on my roof?

Thanks

I have a small aerial I bought in Argos attached to the TV in my kitchen. The aerial sits on a shelve, not near a window. And I get perfect saorview

I have a small aerial I bought in Argos attached to the TV in my kitchen. The aerial sits on a shelve, not near a window. And I get perfect saorview

Is is something like this? How far are you from transmitter? This one says it has range up to 15 miles.

Would there be many tall buildings etc between you and Three Rock?

Thanks. I am 6 km from the Three Rock Mountain. Most aerials state that you need to be within 15 km. I see that DID do boxes for about €70 and indoor aerials for about €20.
In summertime there are a few trees just up the road from my house that sometimes block my view of the transmitter, but only just.

Most TVs have digital tuners, so you won't need a box. If they have HD screens they definitely do

Back