Vincent Browne on the murder of a Garda.

The UK still has a youth unemployment rate of over 20% so why would we want to copy them?

Because Ireland's youth unemployment rate is north of 30%:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/may/16/youth-unemployment-europe-oecd

The Brits have a very different (and much healthier) attitude towards state handouts, to those that are physically capable of work.

To pay our young people hundreds of euros per week to sit at home with mammy is ultimately doing them (and Irish society) a terrible disservice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/may/16/youth-unemployment-europe-oecd

The Brits have a very different (and much healthier) attitude towards state handouts, to those that are physically capable of work.

To pay our young people hundreds of euros per week to sit at home with mammy is ultimately doing them (and Irish society) a terrible disservice.

So now we pay young people hundreds of euro a week to sit at home? And you are happy with a youth unemployment rate of over 20% as the UK have? Why are they the model you want to follow? Germany has a rate of 8%. Why not follow them? Spain have lower rates than us and have youth unemployment of over 50%. So what exactly is the correlation between welfare levels and unemployment in young graduates? Presume you have studied the data.

As you have readily admitted in your previous post the Government are not paying " hundreds of euros " to young people who live at home - do I really need to reiterate that the minimum is € 100 & the maximum is € 144 .

And where exactly are these jobs that youngsters can aspire to - I take it that you have seen the recent unemployment figures ?

Thanks for explaining the minimum wage figures , I note however that many countries have increased their minimum wage rates since 2011 including the UK , the Netherlands & Luxembourg whereas Ireland hasn't.

Cutting welfare levels during a recession is like building a flood barrier after the river has burst its banks. Social engineering takes years, maybe decades. We should have been doing it during the boom but then again there are lots of things we should have been doing during the boom such as stopping the boom and then we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

The welfare young people receive us only one part if the problem. The bigger problem is that an 18 year old does not have enough experience in pretty much anything to allow employers to pay them €8.65 per hour. While there are some rules that reduce that minimum dependent on first and second year of employment over age 18, those minimums are still too high.
If a person cannot produce €9 worth of goods or services per hour, they simply will not be employed.

So if we cut our dole to UK levels, we will cure youth unemployment?? Why didn't anyone think of this before? The UK still has a youth unemployment rate of over 20% so why would we want to copy them? If you used Germany and their apprenticeship model, we could have a discussion but I guess it is easier to tar an entire generation of young people as lazy good for nothings who don't want anything more from life than earning €100 a week and living with mammy and daddy. All those young people emigrating are fools when you think what a easy life they could have here....

Sunny, saw you mentioned the German system of apprenticeships and checked out what the income is for an apprentice. A friend of mine works for one if Germany's largest Mercedes dealers so I sent him a quick mail to get some details:
- car mechanic apprenticeship lasts for 4 years
- first year gross pay is about €550 per month resulting in about €400 net
- pay goes up to about €750 (€600 after tax) in the fourth year
- a newly qualified mechanic will then start on about €9 an hour

That means that a totally unqualified person's labour is valued at just over €3 per hour. Apparently this is at the higher end of pay for apprenticeships in general, with most professions paying quite a bit less.

I heard a guy from the local GAA club where Garda Donohoe coached the nursery teams speaking about him on NewsTalk yesterday afternoon. I was really struck by how articulate and intelligent he was and the moving and eloquent way he spoke about Garda Donohoe. I have no idea who he was but I'd love to see Vincent Browne explain his comments to him.

I heard a guy from the local GAA club ... I was really struck by how articulate and intelligent he was and the moving and eloquent way he spoke

Ah now, you're not saying you were labouring under the misconception that GAA people were all country yokels/backwoodsmen/bog warriors !!!!, we're all intelligent, articulate.....:p;) (apologies in advance, I know this is a serious thread)

On the subject of mentioning sporting affiliations, I've been struck (no pun intended) by how often the media mentions someones sporting affiliation totally out of context - "Prominent GAA player in affray charge" ... you read the article and its something about a scuffle outside a chipper, the person is question has barely been heard of outside his parish, let alone his county, but yet the fact that he plays GAA must go in the headline, they might as well say "Chip eater in affray charge" - at least it would be peripherally relevant to the story.

I see Vinnie got a slap on the wrist from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland for his anti-Israeli comments during the US election. They failed to uphold the complaint that his comments were anti-Semitic which I find strange. It's good to see the BAI looking at his TV3 programme as it makes no attempt at balance or fairness and should not be presented as a new programme but rather a platform for Vincent Browne to vent his biased views, supported by a cohort of like minded crony’s (with the odd government politician invited on to be attached and bullied).

he was great craic Monday night with Dan O'Brien of the Irish Times....tried to make a case for Communism- whats wrong with everyone having the same income and people would go for it if the Govt tried to sell it as a good idea, he said
I don't know how Dan did'nt fall off his chair in laughter/shock

Back