vacuum packed meat for holiday.

We all have a problem with something. The diversity of the world is one of the things which makes it interesting.

Have you tried horsemeat ? if so what was it like ? I imagine it is like eating your best friend ;)

Like Aileen2, we have horse meat here side by side the beef and pork etc. Ive actually eaten Horse Tartar (ie raw minced horse meat served with olive oil, onion, anchovys on the side). I will be honest and say I found it a bit difficult to eat (tasted like venison), I think being Irish we do regard horses in the pet category rather than the farm (beef) category. On the continent they are very much in the latter category.

One thing we avoid like the plague on holidays is that horror of horrors.........the Irish Pub. made the mistake once in NYC of asking for a Bass ( don't all ye laugh now ) just because I saw it on the menu. Should have sticked with the Coors. Was puuuutrid. Now where's the nearest Tapas bar, im starved.

"One wonders how Casu Marzu cheese would go down for the OP [Tip: Don't read while eating]"

Its not just the OP who might have trouble with it! Yeccchhhh!

mf

Sarcasmometer in need of recalibration!

No, but unfortuantely, tongue in cheek doesn't always work :rolleyes: Check out "Lengua" Spanish recipes on the web.

Or look here, but be warned you may never eat meat again.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OH MY GOD ! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has anyone here tried this stuff ? Do they eat the maggots too ?
Somebody I know was treated, with great ceremony, to this one in Sardinia a few years back. He had no idea what it was at the time and was sorry he found out later! :eek:

Have you tried horsemeat ? if so what was it like ? I imagine it is like eating your best friend ;)

I have eaten horse steak and found it similar to beef. I can't comment on whether it was like eating my best friend as I have never tried to do that!:D

I have also eaten Steak Tartare (raw mince adn I'm still alive), as well as snails and frogs' legs (taste like fishy chicken wings). Might as well go for the best friend next.....:D

we live in london and buy barrys tea bags in our local corner shop at £2.60 for 80, expensive but we like it !
we buy the giant bottles of brown chef sauce in ireland and take them back here.
my friends went to ireland recently by car and ferry. one of them is south african, she came back with boiled bacon, tea bags, boxty, potato bread, sausages, rashers, brown bread and believe or not as much turf (yes turf from the bog) that she could get crammed into the Jeep ! she reckons a good turf open fire and bacon on the pan is the real mccoy.
we buy loads of magners (same as bulmers) from Costco.
There is nothing wrong with English food, i've eaten enough of it over the last 20 years but you cant beat the irish produce.

Don't forget the 'red cross' packages sent to backpackers in Oz...Barrys Tea and Tayto Cheese 'n' Onion :)

Don't forget the 'red cross' packages sent to backpackers in Oz...Barrys Tea and Tayto Cheese 'n' Onion :)

Its not Irish but I'd add in Cadburys dairy milk chocolate to that package too. In some places its hard to get and the recipe for local choc can be different for the tastebuds.

I was in Japan for a year and all people wanted brought over were Cream Eggs. MMmmmmmmmmm!

Red meat is very expensive over the so I became the queen of cooking chicken - not so Mmmmmm

First of all you should really be hunted down and fined an enormous amount of money for trying to cart vacuum-packed meat around Europe.

That said the holiday has been and gone and either the OP didn't survive the experience or is full and happy having grilled their Clonakilty black pudding on the balcony of the apartment complex. Either way no news of them.

Reminds me of the happy 3 months I spent working in Piggs Peake, Swaziland where the nearest butchers was 3 miles away cross country and whilst asking 'What will you have sir?' the butcher spent most of his time kicking small yellow chicks which were running around behind the counter and swatting flys which buzzed him constantly.

Fillet steak was the cheapest cut in town since the Swazis wouldn't eat anything that didn't have a bone in it!!!! Superstition of some kind I seem to remember.

Just deadly!!! If anyone knows of any other contracts going out there then phone me and I'll be gone in a heart-beat!

First of all you should really be hunted down and fined an enormous amount of money for trying to cart vacuum-packed meat around Europe.
Why - e.g. under what specific rules/legislation?
Fillet steak was the cheapest cut in town since the Swazis wouldn't eat anything that didn't have a bone in it!!!!
I'd much prefer something with a bone in it to fillet (stop sniggering down the back please). Much more flavour.

Ancutza is dead right; the three years we were in Swaziland was great for us carnivores. The other thing with Swazis and meat is that they like it fatty and well done - everything I hate.

Something else to try if you are ever in Trinidad is agouti. This little animal is a bit like a long legged guinea pig, but tastes better...

Bringing this topic up from the ashes

Going over to England and Big Sis wants me to bring over some Superquinn Sausages. Normally i just buy them and put them in checked in luggage but this time just have hand luggage. Was going to ask in Superquinn if they could vacum pack them, not sure if they do?

Flying Ryanair so anyone know what the policy is on bringing on vacum packed meat in hand luggage. If not allowed sister will have to starve ;)

Back