vacuum packed meat for holiday.

lyonsie

I am going on holiday next monday and had to buy some meat to bring with me, as foreign meat is not what we are used to.... not as nice cuts. I had to go to butcher this morning as all closed tomorrow, Paddy's Day.
I had him vacume pack in individual portions some lovely steaks for me. What I would like to know is if I should freeze them now and bring them with me de-frosting slowly or wait until I get there monday and freeze them then. I know they will last for a good few days without freezing while stored in the fridge and I will be packing them with Ice packs while travelling.
Any ideas. I know this sounds a bit mad but there is lots of chicken and fish abroad, which I will buy, but their meat is uuuugh.......
L

Re: vacume packed meat for holiday.

Did you check that you can transport the meat to another country? Some countries have quite strict regulations on this!
In any case, if you freeze them and defrost them once you will not be able to do this again. It really depends on how long you are travelling for. I would freeze them, put them with icepacks and if I was travelling for less than 12 hours, then I think I would put them back in the freezer. I don't think they would completely defrost in an icepack.

Where is abroad? In virtually every country I have visited the meat is as good and in many places better than we get in Ireland. Unless you are really going to some exotic location it's really not worth the trouble.

sorry, but I don't find the meat in Spanish supermarkets as good as our own. their chicken and fish o.k. but not their meat cuts...
Will go with freezing when I get there I think. Always bring butter too.... it goes in before the bikini.... just in case.... Better looking at these things than for them.....
L.

I'm afraid that through EU regulations you're not allowed to bring meat, milk or milk derivatives in your luggage into Spain. And I've experienced the results of trying to bring over a Ham for Christmas over to Spain:(.

the meat in the canary islands ( Spain) is either Irish or Argentinian. and the Argentinian meat is as good if not better than the Irish. hard to tell the difference in fact.

You should stick some Findus paella in while you're at it. God knows what sort of muck they'll be serving up to you over there.

Thats the thing.... We are on very tight buget and will not be eating out a lot. Had given up package holidays in apts a no. of years ago, hotels with half board (4/5 star)o.k. but am availing of cheap flights and privately sourced apt. to rent and hiring a car for two weeks, Canary Islands, for under €600 for 2 weeks. Good or what....
And you are right, god knows what s..t will be served there.....!!!!
You walk down the main st. anywhere and its full of large pictures of s..t which was photographed years ago and they all have the same stuff.... The Brits love it but not us.
Much prefer a nice fillet or striploin with some lovely fresh local salad.... much better than a plate of egg and chips and beans.... Might treat ourselves to 2 or 3 meals out but you can be guaranteed that they will be fab.. Not booked off a picture.
L

sorry, but I don't find the meat in Spanish supermarkets as good as our own. their chicken and fish o.k. but not their meat cuts...

Living in Spain, I definately notice the difference in the taste of meat.
But if you know what to look for, you can find meat thats just as nice as you are used to in Ireland.

For example you say you like a nice steak - a fillet steak in spanish is "solomillo" and is generally very good quality.
I find the chicken very hit and miss - normally tastes like an aged, tough old hen, but recently I've bought free-range chicken, and its much nicer.
I dont eat fish, but from what I hear, fish in spain is spectacular.

I'm sorry but I can't get over the OP! Unfortunately I have no advice to give in regards of whether you should freeze or not the meat you're bringing to Spain and you're already there so it doesn't matter! I find the attitude of some holiday makers revolting when it comes to disrespect of the host country and nation.

I've seen people bringing sausages, beans, fairy liquid, etc. on holidays with them. Cost-wise, it would be a huge task to find many places more expensive than Ireland. Quality-wise, there is no proof that Irish food is better (or worse) than any 'foreign' food. The fact that people think that they'd starve to death if they don't bring Shaw's sausages and rashers with them on a two week holiday irritates the living lights out of me.

Rant over!

Afaik there are no cows whatsover on the canaries islands. So all meat is imported. last time I was there it was all Argentinian but time before it was all Irish . On both occasions I could eat superb steaks for half the price as Ireland. Wouldn't dream of taking food personally. toast in the morning is the most I can rise to - if you call that cooking- and unless theres a toaster supplied I dont even do that. could never manage those pans with the ridges.

I have to admit lyonsie's idea of bringing meat on holiday does seem crazy to me but thats just my opinion.

I find the attitude of some holiday makers revolting when it comes to disrespect of the host country and nation.

Yeah but theres no accounting for taste. Theres plenty of faddy eaters everywhere. Thats just the way they are and what they are used to and they have problems with change with their diets and/or maybe with lots of things. I wouldnt think its' the same as disrespecting any nation or culture. For example I would'nt be into eating horsemeat in France or dogs in Korea but this doesnt mean I dont respect the two countries.
Cold gazpacho soup makes me vomit however I am a big fan of Serrano ham and Chorizo.

lyonsie you should check out the Spanish SERRANO ham in particular.

There's nothing wrong with horsemeat!

We all have a problem with something. The diversity of the world is one of the things which makes it interesting.

Have you tried horsemeat ? if so what was it like ? I imagine it is like eating your best friend ;)

From the opposite side - I live abroad and have lots of Irish visitors, here we have horsemeat side by side with beef and lamb and pork in the meat counter not to mention the full skinned headless rabbits, escargots etc. Love bringing the Irish around the markets - great fun. Most visitors go for the full Irish in the pubs here. If not they bring me the rashers from home and bacon as it's not the same here - at my request. I've cooked rice (plain boiled rice) for some Irish and had to take it off the plate so shocked were they at the sight of it! There are still some Irish who have never been to a Chinese or had an Indian. Went out with someone who had an omelette and they had a fit (didn't want to eat it then) that the side salad had a spoon of mayonnaise on it. Incidentally omelettes are cooked runny here - salmonella here we come. Another visitor had an aversion to mushrooms that I'd cooked. I tell all my Irish to order meat well done and they're still shocked at how 'rare' it is. I ordered a burger rare in Ireland 3 weeks ago and was told no way, not allowed - it was a health risk - I got a carcinogen burger which was far more dangerous to health in my opinion. Here they serve raw minced beef everywhere as a main course or in a sandwich and it's called americaine and most overseas visitors assume it's a burger - well it ain't. Strangely enough everybody is not dropping down dead with severe gastroenteritis

And dont forget the Taytos, Barrys Tea and Dennys sausages!

In fact if you stayed at home you would have no problems and no adjusting to funny foreign ways!!

Back