UTV has reduced cost of ClickSilver Broadband

sherib

Has anyone else with broadband from Utv received this email?
We are also delighted to inform all our existing customers that you are now able to avail of our new Clicksilver pricing (no price change on Clicksilver Lite) through your online account. Terms & Conditions apply, please click here to view
It looks like the cost of ClickSilverPlus (3MB including Talk) has come down from €39.99 to €34.99 per month - good news! For some reason the package is €1.50/month more if Talk is not included. It's half price for three months for new subscribers.

PS
Did you know you can now get FREE ANYTIME calls to any UK and Irish landline?
UTV Talk Anytime is now available and if you pay only €6.99 per month, you can phone for FREE any time, day or night. (broadband customers only, otherwise €9.99 for non-broadband customers)

Last edited:
Originally posted by ClubMan
I'm with UTV but have not received this notification.

Must be just because your monthly online bill isn't due yet - mine always gets sent out on 17th of the month. Since I've already been charged for this month's broadband, suppose the reduction will start in November. I hope I haven't made a mistake - but don't think so! They're also offering a 3 month FREE trial of F-Secure Internet Security 2006 (looks good) and then €3.49/month after that. It's great to see prices coming down :D.

Sherib

No - just got email notification of the September bill today and I too get charged in or around the 27th of each month. I'm on their 2Mbps package (whatever they call it these days) so maybe that's significant?

That's strange - why would Utv's email refer to "New Clicksilver pricing" if all subscribers aren't getting a reduction? (and specifically excluding Clicksilver Lite) - no price change on Clicksilver Lite

Clicking on the link for new pricing this is what is shows for 2MB:
€9.99 for the first 3 months then €20.99 for each month there after.
Is €20.99 not a reduction on the current price for Clicksilver (2MB)? What is the current price? I've just checked and in June 2005 Clicksilver was €29.99 (when ClicksilverPlus was €45/month). Since then CSPlus reduced by €5 to €39.99 and with this latest reduction has come down to €34.99. Did a similar reduction not occur with Clicksilver?

Making things more confusing, it now seems as if Utv has four Packages instead of three - ClicksilverLite, ClicksilverOne, Clicksilver and ClicksilverPlus! Personally I think this is to bring them into line with Eircom who slipped in a 4th package (and an increase in price) when speeds increased 6 months ago. Currently Eircom charges €54.45 for 3MB broadband which compares very unfavourably with Utv. No, I don't have any connection with Eircom - apart from being an ex customer! They really should cop on to themselves;).

I'm (well the job is) paying €29.99 p.m. for 2Mbps. I have no idea what it's called because they have rebranded all the different packages since I signed up. My statement says that I'm on New Quicksilver whatever that is...

"Bringing them into line" with eircom might be no coincidence since they just resell eircom's wholesale BB package anyway.

Originally posted by ClubMan
"Bringing them into line" with eircom might be no coincidence since they just resell eircom's wholesale BB package anyway
Yes, that's true, but Utv's BB is still a lot cheaper than Eircom - €54.45 -v- €34.99 (or even €39.99) per month for 3MB.

My guess is that your 2MB Clicksilver package is now only €20.99 - roughly 50% reduction in 18 months. Great! I would have considered returning to Eircom (misplaced loyalty maybe) but definitely not at their current prices which, if anything, have increased in the past 6 months when 2MB went to 3MB. Utv didn't increase their price but eircom did.

Yes
My guess is that your 2MB Clicksilver package is now only €20.99 - roughly 50% reduction in 18 months.

Agreed. I received an email yesterday morning and I am on the 2MB package. Nice to see something actually come down in price for a change. I think it is as a result of Eircom reducing their prices. I had seen an advert for this during the week and it was in my mind to check with UTV as to their prices. Don't have to now...:)

Actually I read the email notification of my September bill carefully and it did indeed contain the info about the price decreases. My mistake! :eek:

I'm trying to switch my mother from Smart before tomorrow's deadline and was looking at Clicksilver One. The website says no connection charge, €9.99 p.m. for the first three months and €16.49 thereafter. However when I go as far as the sign up page asking for card details it says €11.99 for the first three months and €18.49 thereafter!? I have emailed support about this (there doesn't seem to be a presales contact phone number) but does anybody know what the story is? Seems very misleading at best...

Ah - maybe it's a coincidence or maybe it's not but the sign up page has just been updated (it was not available for a few minutes there) and is now consistent with the main page.

Yep.. got the mail as well... have still been charged the 29.99 on the bill y'day but hasv since mailed them as asked when does the 20.99 cut in from - awaiting a reply..... I think that this of good value for 2meg line...not if it wasn;t for the damn line rental!

I moved yesterday from 29.99 to 20.99 for same package with utvip included.
without utvip it would have been 22.99.
You need to sign up for utvip before the lower price for broadband is displayed on their sign-up form.

There are one or two other providers who are marginally cheaper but as I've had good service from UTV broadband I don't want to risk another vendor especially as I'll be logging in to work from home more often now.

I moved yesterday from 29.99 to 20.99 for same package with utvip included.
Isn't UTVip their dial up package? Why do you need this if you subscribe to their broadband services? Assuming you were an existing €29.99 Clicksilver customer how exactly did you go about transferring over to the lower charge? And was this necessary since presumably the lower charge will kick in from the next bill anyway?

Assuming you were an existing €29.99 Clicksilver customer how exactly did you go about transferring over to the lower charge? And was this necessary since presumably the lower charge will kick in from the next bill anyway?

I am an existing €29.99 , 2 mb broadband customer with UTV who has never signed up to UTV talk. AFAIK you won't default to the lower charge of €22.99 ( or € 20.99 if you have UTV talk also) - you must sign up for it ie go in to your account and select services and select the package you want. The reason being that to avail of the lower pricing broadband you tie yourself in to a new six month contract.

I'm also on the 2mb €29.99 package and very likely to change to the new 2mb lower charge package they are offering. One thing I don't see mentioned is whether the upload speed stays the same - ie. 256kps? I would presume it does but I would hate to presume and then get caught out after changing over. Can anyone confirm?

Can't see it detailed anywhere either. I also presume it's still at least 256Kbps but certainly worth confirming.

Went to my account and logged on to Services
Nothing there except a message that I had already upgraded ???

Rang them and they said to send an Email to [email protected] giving your account no. and stating what you want, presumably, that you want to stay as you are but want to avail of the new reduced price package.

Just got through to Utv's office and was told the new reduced charge for BB will be automatic from next month so there is no need to do anything like signing up. I don't imagine the reduction will constitute a new contract since there is no mention of that? See PS below. The only change seems to be the reduced price.

I would assume from the Ts & Cs they would always charge the fee of €29.99 if the service is cancelled.

[QUOTE Utv]
FEES EXPLAINED:
The cancellation charge of your broadband service in the first six months will cost €59.99, otherwise it will cost €29.99 thereafter. There is no charge to upgrade your tariff, but there is a €29.99 admin fee to downgrade a tariff[/quote]

PS I wouldn't think a reduced price could be interpreted as a new service. The new contract must refer to a subscriber migrating to a different package - but maybe that's not correct?
According to our records you appear to have already upgraded your account. (I didn't do anything)!
If you decide to migrate your Clicksilver Plus 3MB subscription to a new clicksilver service you will be bound a new contract (please read the terms and conditions relating to this new contract by clicking here).

Last edited:
Guys..Please Help,

I currently live in Dublin (Saggart) and have no broadband connection at home.

I pay Eircom approx 70 euros every 2 months for the phone.
If I go with say a 2MB UTV Clicksilver connection how much will i be paying a month and will i still be able to make phone calls.

All Help Welcome.

Broadband Virgin ;)

Back