UTV has reduced cost of ClickSilver Broadband

Have you tried looking at UTV's website?

€24.18 line rental plus €20.99 for Clicksilver 2MB = €45.17 p.m. with free off peak national/UK calls (up to 60 mins).

Clubman,
Thanks ......You are a fountain of knowledge and a bright star in the askaboutmoney universe.

L.

Just got through to Utv's office and was told the new reduced charge for BB will be automatic from next month so there is no need to do anything like signing up. I don't imagine the reduction will constitute a new contract since there is no mention of that? See PS below. The only change seems to be the reduced price.

I would assume from the Ts & Cs they would always charge the fee of €29.99 if the service is cancelled.

[QUOTE Utv]
FEES EXPLAINED:
The cancellation charge of your broadband service in the first six months will cost €59.99, otherwise it will cost €29.99 thereafter. There is no charge to upgrade your tariff, but there is a €29.99 admin fee to downgrade a tariff

PS I wouldn't think a reduced price could be interpreted as a new service. The new contract must refer to a subscriber migrating to a different package - but maybe that's not correct?

[/quote]

Fair enough, thanks Sherib - I think I'll stick with the 2mb connection and be happy with the reduced cost.When I joined up with UTV in June 04 I had a 1 mb download speed for €29.99 a month, this was subsequently upgraded free to a 2mb download speed and now we have the 2 mb price reduction . Nice one UTV and overall a reliable service too imo.:) I have no connection at all with UTV, other than the bb.:D

I was talking to somebody in UTV at lunchtime and she told me explicitly that the lower charges will not kick in automatically for existing customers and if you want to avail of the lower charges then you need to explicitly sign up for a new contract for the new services! For example if you are on 2MB Clicksilver now then you will continue to be charged €29.99 p.m. unless you sign up for the new 2MB package for €20.99 p.m. and thereby tie into a new contract with the early termination charges as mentioned above for the first 6 months and any time thereafter.

BTW - the reason I was talking to them was because I, more in hope than expectation, signed my mother up for Clicksilver 1MB/UTV Talk switching her from Smart who would otherwise be cutting her off soon (because her exchange is not Smart BB enabled so she can't stay and upgrade with them). However I was pleasantly surprised that the transfer went smoothly with her getting her DSL router the other day and UTV calling me today to check if there were any problems and confirm that voice and BB services were now enabled and with UTV.

I was talking to somebody in UTV at lunchtime and she told me explicitly that the lower charges will not kick in automatically for existing customers and if you want to avail of the lower charges then you need to explicitly sign up for a new contract for the new services! For example if you are on 2MB Clicksilver now then you will continue to be charged €29.99 p.m. unless you sign up for the new 2MB package for €20.99 p.m. and thereby tie into a new contract with the early termination charges as mentioned above for the first 6 months and any time thereafter.

As I said earlier in this thread that's what I thought was the case originally until Sherib posted that he was told differently by someone at UTV. I see now from looking at the new services section in my account that any changes that I make won't come in to effect until 1/12/06 :mad:. I also notice that you have to agree to the " I agree to move to a new contract from the start of the new service migration " statement if you want to get the new prices. Despite my original contention in this thread a while back that you did have to resign for the new prices, I don't recall having seen this statement in the " new services " section of my account before.

BTW - the reason I was talking to them was because I, more in hope than expectation, signed my mother up for Clicksilver 1MB/UTV Talk switching her from Smart who would otherwise be cutting her off soon (because her exchange is not Smart BB enabled so she can't stay and upgrade with them). However I was pleasantly surprised that the transfer went smoothly with her getting her DSL router the other day and UTV calling me today to check if there were any problems and confirm that voice and BB services were now enabled and with UTV.

...hhmmm thats a pity that they just don't do it as a geature...it is better PR ranther than making a Customer feel that they are locked in for another 12 months......

... as a side question, are SMART gone out of the residental broadband market now altogether...they had one of the best deals going...

I have received very poor service, bordering on incompetent, from UTV in my attempts to have broadband moved, so I wouldn't be surprised if different people are being told different things.........

...hhmmm thats a pity that they just don't do it as a geature...it is better PR ranther than making a Customer feel that they are locked in for another 12 months......
I asked the UTV person why they didn't just switch existing customers over to the cheaper rate and she, with brutal honesty, told me that they wanted to lock existing customers in for longer by requiring them to sign up for a new contract to avail of the cheaper rates. She said that many other service providers do something similar in "the south".
... as a side question, are SMART gone out of the residental broadband market now altogether...they had one of the best deals going...
No - if your exchange is Smart BB enabled then you can still sign up for their €35 p.m. 3MB voice and BB package. You just can't get voice only services from them.

CCOVICH - my experience with them is generaly positive. Not that that's much consolation to you...

Have to agree though... I've found UTV to be problem free...but this list stunt is a tad annoying. If I recall though, if you lock in for the year & then break it, they will charge you the balance of the years payments.

Well the penalties on the new service contracts are a bit confusing - the website says that if you break the contract in the first 6 months then you pay a €59.99 penalty and thereafter €29.99. It does not make it clear if the latter only applies in month 7-12 of a 12 month contract or indefinitely. Also the terms & conditions actually suggest that if you terminate any time during the "Minimum Period" (which is 6 months) then you pay the balance of what's due for the remainder of that period but also make reference to penalties that apply according to the current price list. Not exactly clear I have to say... :(

Hmm,
I got an interesting message when I used the "Click here to change to the Clicksilver 2Mb service". It says:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch
/clicksilveraccountie/migrate2.asp, line 105

God knows what service I'm on now... :O

I'd click the link myself to see what happens only I don't know if that's the last page or there is some final confirmation "do you really want to do this" page to go thereafter!

When I read CM’s and Demoivre’s posts I phoned Utv and confirmed that both of them are correct. I believed, wrongly now, but based on a phone call to them that the reduction would be automatic. I had also emailed Utv in October and the reply said "yes, you can avail of this reduction but will be entering into a new 12 month minimum contract". Fair enough but there was no information given (or request) explaining how to sign up. Interestingly the page is not available on their web site to check New Services but maybe that’s just a coincidence.

Up to now I have been very satisfied with Utv's service and would have agreed to the new contract but after this ham fisted and ambiguous mess I am not going to sign up. It is bad PR at the very least and I said that to the person to whom I spoke. Anyone who wants to complain can do so by emailing: [email protected] I intend to do that when I have more time but in the meantime will keep my options open. It's disappointing and all for the sake of five euro :(

Incidentally, hasn’t Smart Telecom just been bought by one of the backers so maybe there will be a re-launch? That was on the news last night – bought by Brendan Murtagh for €1.00.

PS I was told today that there would be no charge if I cancelled out now - I'm well over a year with them now - but, after the above, I wouldn't rely on that. As CM says, the wording is ambiguous.

Last edited:
Interestingly the page is not available on their web site to check New Services but maybe that’s just a coincidence.

I can see the New Services page when I click on the link while logged into my account (for viewing statements etc.).
Incidentally, hasn’t Smart Telecom just been bought by one of the backers so maybe there will be a re-launch? That was on the news last night – bought by Brendan Murtagh for €1.00.

Well €1 plus the €40M debt that he's taking on plus 10% of BidCo...

I doubt that we'll see them re-enter the residential voice only market and reckon that they'll be concentrating on residential voice + broadband bundling and maybe even the business sector. Ultimately the bottom line right now is that voice only Smart customers must either upgrade to Smart voice + BB (if their exchange is Smart BB enabled) or switch to another service provider before the end of this week otherwise they will be cut off and may face a reconnection charge to get going again.
PS I was told today that there would be no charge if I cancelled out now - I'm well over a year with them now
In that case one month's notice and a return of the gear to their HQ some time (15 days?) after that should be enough if you want to switch.

I still can't access New Services when I log into "Your Account" with Utv yet everything else is available.Therefore I don't know whether or not it advises how to sign up to the new reduced broadband price. Could someone please post what it says?

There is a link to Talk Anytime and there is no ambiguity about how to sign up. Why didn't they do the same for the new broadband price? A little bit too smart:rolleyes: Or maybe they have now but I can't see it? It wasn't there previously anyhow.
Upgrade to Talk Anytime
You can make these savings by paying just €6.99 per month and ring any landline free for up to one hour* whether it is day or night.
Click here to take advantage of the Anytime option!

Her is what the New Services page says:
Migrate your existing account to one of our new lower price Clicksilver services...

..., you can change from your current New Clicksilver tariff to one of our new services.

Please note: A change in your tariff will not be effective until 01 December 2006. If you decide to migrate your New Clicksilver subscription to a new clicksilver service you will be bound a new contract (please read the terms and conditions relating to this new contract by clicking here). If you wish to cancel this new contract you will be charged a cancellation fee of €59.99 during the first six month of the contract or €29.99 after 6 months.
If you are choosing to downgrade your current tariff to a slower speed then a one off charge of €29.99 will be applied to your account.

The terms and conditions for the new Clicksilver services differs from your current Clicksilver service, you must read and agree to these new terms and conditions before applying for one of the new services.
And the terms & conditions are [broken link removed].

Just curious - is there a link to click on to accept Utv's new reduced price bb service? That's all I want to know. If not, does it say to whom an email should be sent? I'm aware of the new Ts and Cs but that doesn't help. I'm still in the dark about what to do to avail of the new reduced price. It's purely academic now since I've resolved to stay out of Utv's convoluted contract loop:D and will await developments on the competition front.

If you decide to migrate your New Clicksilver subscription to a new clicksilver service you will be bound a new contract
How can a reduction in the price of Clicksilver be interpreted as "a new clicksilver service"? It would be perfectly understandable if one were migrating to a lower or higher speed bb. It's not obvious to me anyhow and I still can't access the New Services page! I've just seen this: clarity at last but not from Utv.
Originally posted by jasconius
Went to my account and logged on to Services. Nothing there except a message that I had already upgraded ??? Rang them and they said to send an Email to [email protected] giving your account no. and stating what you want, presumably, that you want to stay as you are but want to avail of the new reduced price package.

Last edited:
I am on clicksilver plus along with utv talk. Had to ring them today to enquire about new rates. They said the new tarriffs was included in the email re my last bill ??

Also checked my account and can upgrade online under 'new services' so now paying €34.49 per month and 3mb line and 20gb cap. Also free evening and w/e calls Ok its another 12 month contract but can live with that

Ok customer service may not be great but I have had no problems re dropped lines and the Nerds on boards.ie dont seem to be complaining about them as much as they use to

Now where is that uTorrent program :rolleyes:

They said the new tarriffs was included in the email re my last bill ??
Yes - details were included but if you read earlier in the thread you might be like me and initially missed them. I just saw the FSecure logo at the top left of the email and thought to myself "irrelevant to me" but the new pricing info was beside that!

Actually it didn't go so smoothly. More anon... :(

Update: See here.

Back