Using a Smart Switch to enable Self-Monitoring of Legacy Alarm

S class

Frequent Poster
Messages
2,975
I have a HKC alarm panel. This is a standard security panel.

I don't have any paid for monitoring service.
I self monitor the alarm system.

This is very simple to set up.
It' just involves wiring a 12 volt relay on to the panel siren connectors.

So when the alarm activates the relay operates and turns on a WiFi switch.

The WiFi switch is then programmed to send an alert to alll my devices. Phone , tablet etc. It can also send alerts to other people's devices.

This can be set up very easily and after the initial cost of the relay and WiFi switch, the monitoring is free.

I am not familiar with Phonewatch panels, but I would assume that they have siren connections and could be self monitored.
 
This is very simple to set up.
It' just involves wiring a 12 volt relay on to the panel siren connectors.

So when the alarm activates the relay operates and turns on a WiFi switch.

The WiFi switch is then programmed to send an alert to alll my devices. Phone , tablet etc. It can also send alerts to other people's devices.

This can be set up very easily and after the initial cost of the relay and WiFi switch, the monitoring is free.
any guide to doing this you could point to? thanks
 
I wired this up to my own design. I previously worked in the electrical field and this included security alarms.

The circuit is simple and if you have any flair for a bit of wiring and soldering it would be easy for you.

If you are able to do this type of work, I could draw a circuit diagram and tell your what you need.
 
Last edited:
@Blackrock1

This works as follows...

When your alarm activates and the internal siren sounds, 12 volts is supplied to the relay. The relay switches on.
This connects N/O to C.
This shorts out K1 and COM on the smart switch.
This switches on relay 1 on the smart switch.

You download "Smart Life" app.
Link the smart switch in the app.
You will see switch 1 on the smart switch turned on in the app when the internal siren sounds.

You then set the app to notify you when switch 1 turns on.
You can rename switch 1, as "Alarm Activation"
This is your alarm activation monitor.

You could buy a single channel smart switch.
I showed a 4 channel smart switch because this is the type I have.

I use the other channels for...

Key switch.

This enables the alarm to be Armed and Disarmed from the app. This can be done if you have a spare Zone on your alarm panel. This zone can be programmed as a Key Switch.

Indication that the alarm is Full Set or Unset.

This can be done if your alarm panel has a spare programmable output. The output can be programmed to switch to 12 volts on "Full set"

Camera switch.

Cameras can be switched on or off in the app.


If you didn't want to do alterations inside your alarm panel.
You could connect the 12 volt relay directly to the internal siren.
The Smart Switch has a USB socket and can be feed from a 5 volt mobile phone charger.


circuit diagram.webp
12 volt relay.webp
smart switch 2.webp
smart switch 3.webp
smart switch.webp
 
Nice work, I have hkc, but have the gsm card in it which is very handy for remote setting etc as well as the alerts at a very reasonable ongoing cost.i presume the above is beyond most people even if they have the engineer code.
 
i presume the above is beyond most people even if they have the engineer code.
If they have the engineer code it is straightforward. There is no reprogramming of the alarm panel needed to connect a relay to the internal siren.

I was just rechecking and the need for soldering could be eliminated.

A connector socket can be used to tap off the 5 pins on the smart switch, and a relay on a circuit board with a doide and screw terminals is available. It's then just a few screw connector terminals that need to be wired.
 
Last edited:
Does the Wi-Fi switch talk to your router and on to the App from there? And it is permanently powered by a 5v power supply? If your home looses power then does the alarm work just no monitoring? Maybe that's the same with all these home alarms, not sure how they work.
 
Last edited:
Is there any way of getting an engineer code for hkc? I have a hkc unmonitored inherited with the house when we bought it. Would be interested in setting something like this up but never got engineer code
 
Does the Wi-Fi switch talk to your router and on to the App from there?
Yes.
The smart switch can also be fed with 12 volts from the alarm panel battery.

It relies on having the router working.
Most routers seem to be 12 volt DC, so they could be powered off a 12 volt alarm type battery and power supply.

Otherwise the monitoring won't work if the house electricity goes off.

I think off the shelf alarm monitors work off a SIM switch.
So don't rely on the house broadband.

A SIM switch could be used instead of a smart switch if power cuts are a problem. But then you have the expense of operating the SIM card.
 
Last edited:
Is there any way of getting an engineer code for hkc?
You would need to return the panel back to factory settings.
This is usually done by disconnecting the mains power and battery and removing a link.

You would then have the factory engineer code and user code.
You would have to reprogram all the zones, entry and exit times and siren sounding time, new engineer and user codes, etc.

This is not to difficult. You could read the manual and write out the programming plan well before you do the reset. It is then easy to key all the codes in.
You could do an internet search for the HKC installer manual.
 
FWIW we were away recently and our house alarm went off, it is the same HKC as yours and we got a message in the app about it (€10/month for the app which is steep!) but interestingly we also got a message on the Apple Home app to say our HomePod was hearing an alarm going off in the house!
 
I'm just thinking how might a burglar try and get around home alarms. They might try to cut the power first and/or a landline or fibre line going in to the home. Apparently wireless signals can be jammed as well.

I suppose in most cases they're never so sophisticated and it's just a quick opportunistic thing... smash and grab.
 
They might try to cut the power first and/or a landline or fibre line going in to the home. Apparently wireless signals can be jammed as well.
The last protection is then to make as much noise as possible.
I have external sirens front and back and internal sirens in every room.

I needed to add extra power supply for these.

Then hopefully they won't stay long enough to steal or damage anything.
 
Back
Top