Use of my house by NTL for their cable

" A piece of the action" so if we take every house holder that has an NTL wire clipped to their home and come to the conclusion that they are all entitled to a piece of the action paying them X amount of money for their hardship endured, who do you think NTL will pass the resulting costs on to? The consumers ie back on to you. (along with Bord Gais/ESB/Water Board etc. all being requested to share a piece of the action) You in turn will then look for a percentage extra in your wages to cover the extra costs for services. The shops will see that everyone is getting a few quid extra and will in turn raise their prices. The economic circle of life countiues to spiral up...
The mains sewerage/drainage/gas/ water could well run under your property are you therefore entitled to a piece of the action?
If I dont want a pipe running under the soil in my back garden can I ring up and say reroute this pipe or give me a cut?

Me installing a cable on an NTL building is a bit out of context, an NTL building for instance with adjoing offices will no doubt also have wires clipped along their soffit, as per the vast majority of offices/retail units on any city street.

Eh, you're being obtuse and missing the point deliberately. There is no "compo culture"
If NTL have to put a wire on my property to access other properties in order to make money I should be paid for that access.
I don't think that's unreasonable.

Where does it stop though? If everyone woke up tomorrow and said they wanted payment for;
a. NTL cables
b. Eircom Cables
c. Main sewerage
d. Storm water discharge
We could all ring up tomorrow and threaten to cut all services unless a cheque was issued.Where would we be then?
All costs would be eventually pushed back on to the consumer, leading to a new thread on this website complaing about how we are paying too mush for services etc.

Where does it stop though? If everyone woke up tomorrow and said they wanted payment for;
a. NTL cables
b. Eircom Cables
c. Main sewerage
d. Storm water discharge
We could all ring up tomorrow and threaten to cut all services unless a cheque was issued.Where would we be then?
All costs would be eventually pushed back on to the consumer, leading to a new thread on this website complaing about how we are paying too mush for services etc.

I think it's pretty straightforward really and some of examples you give are not particularly relevant. Sewerage is a community type thing.
But if NTL want to use someones land for wires to make money elsewhere they should pay for it.

If you were affected by this or if it was obstructing you in some way you would be entitled to compensation. In the original posters situation I would no doubt be extremely angry to find a couple of lads with a ladder against my house with no notice given!
Eircom chambers are often located in someones garden, are they therefore entitled to go out and threaten to cut cables all sides? If your telephone/internet was cut off due to cables being rerouted would you be as sympathetic?
Its compo-culture and nothing more. If the cables weren't there you'd be no better or no worse off.

Its compo-culture and nothing more. If the cables weren't there you'd be no better or no worse off.

Right, so if NTL came to you and said "There's an estate behind your land we need to access in order to make a pile of money. The only way to access it is over your land. Is it ok if the lads just lash it down and say no more?" you'd be happy enough?
I don't think so

If it was one wire approx 1cm in diameter and was unobtrusive ie clipped along the fascia board as normal I dont see the problem. the NTL cable is already on my house like everyone else's
As I said if its in the way or obs tructing your daily life then you would have a case

Yes, of course new estates now have them underground,(Maybe they heard us talking) but are you now entitled to have this duct running under your garden?!

I'm inclined to agree in principle with the last two posters, but then again it was arrogant and cheeky of the company to do work on the property without notice or consent (and also it's NTL, one of the biggest messes of a company we've ever had to deal with) so I don't blame the OP for pushing back.

Of course, I ,and I think everyone, would be fuming to come home to that, all it took was a bit of notice. Although I dont want to get in to their service dept. proceedures as I think there's another thread discussing them also!

I think the salient point is that as a landowner you have the right to grant or refuse NTL permission use your property. If you choose to seek remuneration or decide to allow it gratis that's up to you and any criticism is unwarranted.

I also assumed that the OP's house originally had the NTL Cable on it as they stated the workers were replacing it, so it would have been there when they purchased it also. Even if its underground; its within your boundary and do you think its alright to threaten to start cutting cables unless payment is made?!

Even if its underground; its within your boundary and do you think its alright to threaten to start cutting cables unless payment is made?!
And miss what's on telly? No way. Besides - I never suggested that it was OK to threaten to cut cables.

I know at times I would be tempted to cut the cable due to some of the nonsense thats on the tv but for the sake of this discussion we will assume its a cable worth keeping!

a. NTL cables
b. Eircom Cables
c. Main sewerage
d. Storm water discharge

The problem with that is if they call your bluff on c) and d) and tell you 'ok, you can keep those, we'll disconnect the pipes'...........it won't be a pretty sight/smell after a few days.......

The problem with that is if they call your bluff on c) and d) and tell you 'ok, you can keep those, we'll disconnect the pipes'...........it won't be a pretty sight/smell after a few days.......

The issue I though is with services that cross your property, but that you don't actually use.

Not sure about underground stuff, and I know that the ESB have certain rights over and above standard, but the bottom line is that you're well within your rights to tell NTL to stuff it.

If you don't want the cables there, tell them to remove it or you'll remove it yourself (but give them the cable back!). If you want to chance your arm and ask for payment to enable them to retain it, no harm in asking.

The issue I though is with services that cross your property, but that you don't actually use.

Not sure about underground stuff, and I know that the ESB have certain rights over and above standard, but the bottom line is that you're well within your rights to tell NTL to stuff it.

If you don't want the cables there, tell them to remove it or you'll remove it yourself (but give them the cable back!). If you want to chance your arm and ask for payment to enable them to retain it, no harm in asking.

I'd say that's about right. I don't much agree with looking for compensation but as has been said that's up to each individual. In my case I have excellent neighbours and wouldn't want to inconvenience them even on a temporary basis. It's only a bit of cable after all.

I've found this discussion interesting because I've just disconnected from NTL but they will be re-cabling in a few months' time. My response will be to give them wayleave but with new(ish) fascias/soffits I'll insist on knowing how exactly they propose to do the job before letting them go ahead.

Back