Use of my house by NTL for their cable

noilh

I''ve just returned home to find several men in my garden with cable and ladder hammering on my house. The men were Polish I think and were unable to explain what they were doing and why. Eventually they located a English speaking person who explained that it was NTL renewing the cable. Now I don't have cable TV and have no interest in it and am wondering if it would be possible to have NTL compensate me financially for allowing them to route their cable along my house. Any legal eagles out there might let me know if I might be able to profit in some way from being so accommodating to NTL?

If I arrived back and found someone hammering my property military operations against former warsaw pact forces would commence.

NTL wanted to put a cable through my parents garden a decade or so ago. They made them remove some temporary cabling across the road and put it underground.

AFAIK they have no right of way through anyones property.

was this your front or back garden ? did they install something which wasnt there before or did they simply replace a cable which had always been there?

I would expect that they would need permission to enter your property and attach cables to it. I doubt that you would be able to profit from it but I would expect that you could object and have it removed.

You could also remove it yourself or you could have called the Guards at the time.

My folks have received free NTL forever in exchange for allowing an underground wire through their property

They were in the front garden of the house. I told them to leave and they did so without completing the job as far as I can make out. They asked if they could do the work in the morning . I said no that I did not want the cable there unless I was paid for allowing it (although the old cables have been there now for 20 years more or less). I felt I was chancing my arm a bit as I don't know the law and my rights. All comments are helpful thanks.

I've had a lot of trouble with eircom over their shoddy mess of wires dangling from my house, and I know people who had the same trouble with the ESB in moving poles. So the long term view is can they charge you for moving or damaging their cables.

30 years ago before ntl arrrived my father put up a temporayry Antenna wire on the house.

Later NTL another name then no dount came along to install wiring along the houses along the road.

They remove the antenna wire.

My father promptly climbed a ladder and ripped all ntl kit off the front of our house and replaced his cable.

Much argumnets later NTL had to rerote and swore we would never get connected.

Couple of years later NTL sales man was around.

Agreed you are chancing your arm but a courtesy note to say work was needed would have been nice.

Chase someone and threaten to get ladder snips and claw hammer if no joy.

An interesting thread, as the hitorical NTL/Cablelink way of doing this was to go house to house. Apparently, when they originally installed the infrastructure many years ago, they would have had consent from the property owners.

When I got rid of NTL for SKY, I rang them and told them I wanted all their wires off my property. They came back to me to say something to the effect that they would have to write to all of the houses on my street informing them that there would be a service interuption of more than a week while they took their wires off my property. Blackmail by threatening to expose my name to the neighbours.

To be honest, I got sidetracked into something else at the time and completely forgot about it, but this tiemly reminder will have me pursuing them for this in writing. Surely this is against the law for them to name you, and surely if you dont want their cable on your property they have no right to leave it there ?

Surely this is against the law for them to name you, and surely if you dont want their cable on your property they have no right to leave it there ?
Certainly sounds like there could be data protection issues for them to use your personal details in this way when they were presumably given to them solely for billing etc.?

I am going to write to NTL to ask them to remove their wires from the house and no doubt they will say the neighbours will be deprived of the tv (I personally think that would be doing them someting of a favour !). I just think I should be paid to allow them use my house - I must also check if the title to the house states that tv wires must be allowed up on the house - i doubt it though.

Hi

I know 3 people, living in corner houses etc who have at this nonsense from NTL ... whereby they just come onto your property and take liberties ...

All 3 cases, a short disagreement followed where each family ordering the staff off their property without permitting the work to continue and in one instance, only after insisting the cable be removed entirely ...

Each of the 3 houses in question, now have NTL free for life & in one case, they even managed to haggle the digital service for free !

Definitely insist on either: Free TV or Cash Payment if they want to use your property in my view !

Cheers

G>

Hi

Each of the 3 houses in question, now have NTL free for life & in one case, they even managed to haggle the digital service for free !

Definitely insist on either: Free TV or Cash Payment if they want to use your property in my view !

If you do acquiesce and negotiate free TV, I'd drive a hard bargain and make sure it was with all included .i.e get them to agree that when NTL internet access is available you also get that and all the channels etc, get additional points installed around the house, or at least have a get out clause for yourself at some point!

What harm does a cable do? They've been there years and never caused any problems? If it was a atructural beam mounted on the front of your house then maybe there would be an issue?

What harm does a cable do? They've been there years and never caused any problems? If it was a atructural beam mounted on the front of your house then maybe there would be an issue?

That's hardly the point...if a company is using your property to make money then you're entitled to a piece of the action.

Just try to install your own cable on NTL property and make money out of it and see how quickly they call the guards and take you to court.

" A piece of the action" so if we take every house holder that has an NTL wire clipped to their home and come to the conclusion that they are all entitled to a piece of the action paying them X amount of money for their hardship endured, who do you think NTL will pass the resulting costs on to? The consumers ie back on to you. (along with Bord Gais/ESB/Water Board etc. all being requested to share a piece of the action) You in turn will then look for a percentage extra in your wages to cover the extra costs for services. The shops will see that everyone is getting a few quid extra and will in turn raise their prices. The economic circle of life countiues to spiral up...
The mains sewerage/drainage/gas/ water could well run under your property are you therefore entitled to a piece of the action?
If I dont want a pipe running under the soil in my back garden can I ring up and say reroute this pipe or give me a cut?

Me installing a cable on an NTL building is a bit out of context, an NTL building for instance with adjoing offices will no doubt also have wires clipped along their soffit, as per the vast majority of offices/retail units on any city street.

Back