Health Insurance Upgrade waiver moving from other provider

Steiny

My company recently introduced health insurance benefit. The chosen provider is Laya. Laya circulated information on the offered plan and gave an in office presentation on the plan where they lauded the fact that all the waiting periods were waived as part of the plan they were offering our company. So far, so good! However, the waiting periods will apply if you are upgrading - BUT only it seems if you're an existing Laya customer who is upgrading. Those upgrading from another provider are not hit with this 2 year waiting period (2 years is maximum according to HIA). Feel like Laya really did a bit of a bait and switch in terms of their communication on this to our company employees and that they're discriminating against those who are already Laya customers...

I'm wondering if I can circumvent this by moving to another provider for a few months and then moving to the group scheme.... the cancellation fee mid term for laya is the full premium but for irish life and vhi the cancellation is the levy and 25 or 50e admin fee... Would it work i wonder?!!!

Has anyone encountered this?

Last edited:
Yes, the plan our company has signed up for is Inspire Plus. Obviously, the waivers they have offered are at Laya's discretion but it seems like a strange situation where a 2 year waiting period is applied to the Laya policy holder who is upgrading versus someone who happens to have lower cover but with a different provider.

it seems like a strange situation where a 2 year waiting period is applied to the Laya policy holder who is upgrading versus someone who happens to have lower cover but with a different provider.
I was apprised of something similar with a different provider in a similar situation a few years ago.

In one case the insurer waived some or all waiting periods for employees in a work group scheme that I was in another few years back.

I have written to the HIA about it. Im wondering if it can be called discrimination. In any case, Laya did not communicate this to employees which I think is quite sharp practise. They mention that those upgrading from another provider will have the period waived but not that it doesn't apply to existing Laya customers!

I was apprised of something similar with a different provider in a similar situation a few years ago.

In one case the insurer waived some or all waiting periods for employees in a work group scheme that I was in another few years back.
Did the employees being treated differently have any opinion about it??!

I misunderstood the core issue.
It does seem odd that they seem to be penalising existing customers who are upgrading while treating transferring customers of other insurers better.

that is the case here but there is the discrepancy between someone currently with laya and someone who is with a different provider.

any thoughts re switching to another provider for a couple of months ?

I misunderstood the core issue.
It does seem odd that they seem to be penalising existing customers who are upgrading while treating transferring customers of other insurers better.
Yes, i thought the same. So much so that I have spent last couple days trying to get clarification on it.

I thought all insurers did that - and, by all, I mean all (General, Life, Car, ....):rolleyes:

Yes they do. We were clearly told though that the waiting periods were waived. However, it appear, to my astonishment that this clause applies unequally to members of the scheme depending on their current provider. To be clear, our company is paying for this cover so it is somewhat bespoke.

from the faqs that were circulated. you will notice that those moving get preferential treatment.... or rather no mention that upgrading as a laya customer will mean no waiver!!

4. Will I or my family have any break in cover on transfer to laya healthcare from another Irish health insurance provider?

No, you and your family will have immediate cover on joining laya healthcare as part of the Company group scheme because as a special offer to company we have waived the following waiting period: initial, maternity, upgrade from another provider, pre-existing & upgrade for Orthopaedic & Ophthalmic procedures.

Back