Understanding PRSI contributions for receipt of an Irish pension

Just as an afterthought...I plan to stop work at the end of next year when my total A contributions, as based on what's been made clear throughout these posts, will be 507 contributions. I'll be 62 at the time.

Should I then be in receipt of Job Seekers benefit at any point after that will these payments also then count towards an A contribution? Hence I would then need 13 weeks of JSB in order to then attain the 520 target?

Should I then be in receipt of Job Seekers benefit at any point after that will these payments also then count towards an A contribution? Hence I would then need 13 weeks of JSB in order to then attain the 520 target?
It's mentioned earlier that PRSI credits don't normally (ever?) count towards the 520.

Just as an afterthought...I plan to stop work at the end of next year when my total A contributions, as based on what's been made clear throughout these posts, will be 507 contributions. I'll be 62 at the time.

I've told you twice already that you need 520 PAID PRSI contributions! Do you understand what the word "paid" means? :mad:

When you cease employment at age 62 claim your Jobseekers Benefit and then continue signing on for credits. Then in the calender year of your 63rd birthday work for 13 weeks and then re-sign on for credits until age 66. By doing this you will achieve two goals. Firstly you will meet your target of 520 paid contributions to ensure your pension. Secondly you will achieve the qualifications to receive the 65s benefit i.e. at least 39 A class contributions of which 13 must be paid contributions in the calendar year of your 63rd birthday. This 65s benefit is worth 11440 euro.
You only need to earn 38 euro per week to qualify for an A contribution, so 13 weeks of part time employment is all that is necessary. Your credits will then count towards your pension as you meet the 520 paid contributions requirement.

Last edited:
Back