Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into UB today to try to collect my money after a 1 year fixed money desk deposit matured more in hope than anything else. No joy. Cashier offered me 500 euro cash to keep me going. Told to come back at the end of the week when hopefully (?) all will be sorted but was not convincing. Looked like total chaos, queues out the door etc. Just to warn others who may be expecting to get access to their savings this week - dont bother trying for the moment.

Ulster Bank have said that they can "process all transactions manually". Your story clear contradicts the Ulster line.

If the money is with Ulster, then surely Ulster can see that you have the proceeds and as such should issue the funds to you.

You should not be out of pocked for this.

Well she told me the whole computer system was down so she couldnt even look up my account. I plan on ringing the helpline tomorrow to see if anything can be done. It does not inspire confidence in UB. Thankfully I had not ear marked it for any particular purpose but will be losing interest, albeit a small amount while this fiasco continues.

was it a time bomb in the software, a bad update patch is a red herring.

noah

The only reason I am with ulster is because of free banking. May have to rethink about it.

Was with halifax and now ulster, where next can you turn. AND don't mention ptsb please!

Once they get this sorted ( soon hopefully as my salary currently floating in the ether somewhere ) it will get interesting how they will broach the whole charges issues. My MBNA credit card bill due... They are paperless now and I just transfer money each month. Now I can't so will miss payment date and automatic late payment charge will incur. I wonder will Ulster be quick to refund charge or will we be required to jump through many hoops before a reluctant payment emerges?? More worryingly is my employer who when asked thru salaries if we can be paid the old fashioned way ( cheque direct to us) the shirt answer was they have no idea how to do that anymore!!!!! Slaves to technology
Or what ....... Oh for the simple old days...!!!!

The only reason I am with ulster is because of free banking. May have to rethink about it.

Was with halifax and now ulster, where next can you turn. AND don't mention ptsb please!

- I reckon Bank of Ireland is your best bet and you will have to play the 9 transactions money game and lodge at least €3,000 every quarter.

I would still keep a few euro with Ulster and keep the a/c open as you may end up going back.

Ulster Bank have said that they can "process all transactions manually". Your story clear contradicts the Ulster line.

If the money is with Ulster, then surely Ulster can see that you have the proceeds and as such should issue the funds to you.

You should not be out of pocked for this.

In fairness to UB, the guy is looking for a 1 year fixed sum of money that has matured, not just your regular few quid wages.

Me personally would want to wait till this is sorted before i withdrew a potentially large sum of money in the worry that the figures wouldnt be correct.

So the IT contrrol centre is located in far flung India, it's no wonder it's taken so long to solve the problem, their credibility will be very badly damaged after this as it's problems are being dragged into a second week.

Before people start blaming India, the problem was created in Edinburgh according to the CEO. Whether that is true or not who knows. I find it hard to believe that core system software updates were carried out in India. If they did outsource that, the implications for operational risk were huge and clear to see and the regulators should be all over them.

Last friday my husband tried to withdraw cash in an UB branch and was told he could only have 500 euro cash max. This is way less than we had in the current account, but 500 was all they could give. We needed the cash for a specific reason, so had to withdraw it from the savings account we have in another bank.
Also, my salary was due to be paid into my UB account last Friday and it's still not there. Turning out to be a bit of a mess!

I work in a PS Higher Ed. job (don't kill me anyone!) - pay day coming up Friday. We have had no information regarding what to do/options from our payroll dept. for people who hold UB accounts - I'm thinking of contacting them and asking them to send out a general email to our staff to give some kind of guidelines for people who could be affected by the on-going problems with the bank. The main bank used for salaries isn't Ulster but due to this on rte news website: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/ulster-bank-rbs.html saying it'll be all sorted by "next week". I've already decided to lodge cash into my account to cover any d/d's due the next week or two, but a lot of people won't be in that position to do that. The snowball effect from UB is astonishing!

Social welfare payments from last Thursday still not processed.

Batch jobs generally dont run during the day to credit payments to accounts so I would suspect any payment wont go through until tomorrow at the earliest (after the batch job is run over night).

If it is not there in the morning then it will be Wednesday night/Thursday morning again before it can go through.

Bewildered,confused,amazed & horrified. The third largest bank in this state - Ulster Bank is refusing to let people withdraw their OWN money. Our regulator is 'monitoring the situation & the silence from Leinster House is deafening. The gravity of this goes to the very core of Ulster Bank's ability to operate as a functioning entity. To say they have failed miserably is a massive underststatement. Latest update from UB 'We will have it sorted by Friday hopefully'. I ask you... ?

Last edited:
Just called the bank there to see if I could withdraw cash which I again require for friday, and was informed that the limit is 500 euro even though they confirmed that they can see on their systems the balance in the account. Its at the discretion of the bank whether they give you more so had to explain why I needed the money, then go on hold for about 10 minutes while they decided whether I could have more. Eventually was told I can have it tomorrow. In fairness though, the girl on the phone was very nice, and apologetic. I see it could be next week before transactions are up to date, and I still haven't been paid.

Hi Geri

Just as a matter of interest did UB ask you to bring ID etc with you to the branch?

I think it a case of grin and bear with it and try your best to look at alternatives.

From a business point of view we've had no credit card payments credited to our account since 16th June, we have a credit balance on the account, but when we did a test payment to see if salaries would reach this friday, the balance changed alright, but five days later the test payment (€10) has still not turned up.

Thankfully we only have 26 employees, but we'll be lodging directly into the local branches of their banks and those with ulster will be paid a cheque that can be cashed in our stores.

I'd recommend that other companies with a small number of staff look at something along the same lines as I really don't think UB will have this fixed by the weekend.

Ulsterbank living abroad

So I'd like to throw something into the loop here...

I live in Cornwall, bank with Ulsterbank since I lived in Co.Down and grew up there...

I'm in a quandary, my wage is still unpaid, I called Ulsterbank and was informed it still hadn't been processed and they'd discovered and other system wasn't updating.

Now I have direct debits that are going to bounce and charges are going to be incurred quite badly and my problem is this..

I believe the advice is to go to your local branch with proof of the charges and third party charges incurred....

That may be a tad diffcult for me! I didn't get any joy... anyone know if UB have support fro overseas customers?

Ring +35318047475

The restoration of 'full service' has been delayed, again, from the end of this week to "early next week".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back