Ulster Bank offset mortgages are not being sold to AIB

Status
Not open for further replies.
They closed the current/facility account linked to your offset? That's odd, was that where you were paying the DD from, mine is still open anyway and my linked savings account, just checked just in case!

Hi

I have the offset mortgage, what's the latest form you all ?, I'm still paying DD, and they closed my Current account, so they are breaching terms ? Right?
Was your current account linked to your Offset Mortgage for the purposes of offsetting?

Hi

I have the offset mortgage, what's the latest form you all ?, I'm still paying DD, and they closed my Current account, so they are breaching terms ? Right?
why did you close your current account?
they advised people do not close your current account if you are in an offset and it is linked to your mortgage.

My current account was closed on the 16th of May. I had asked about getting a debit card for my facility account just before they closed College Green. I got it the next day, branch code is Clonmel.

I took out a year First Active offset mortgage in 2005, which was taken over by Ulster. Twelve and a half years to go.

I was at a school reunion last month and ran into a guy who had been BOI but went to UB 12 years ago. I asked him about the offset mortgages and he said "you could do very well out of that", but I didn't have a chance to meet him later.

My current account was closed on the 16th of May. I had asked about getting a debit card for my facility account just before they closed College Green. I got it the next day, branch code is Clonmel.

I took out a year First Active offset mortgage in 2005, which was taken over by Ulster. Twelve and a half years to go.

I was at a school reunion last month and ran into a guy who had been BOI but went to UB 12 years ago. I asked him about the offset mortgages and he said "you could do very well out of that", but I didn't have a chance to meet him later.
I wonder what he meant by that. We have an Offset too taken out at approximately same time as u with First Active and now UB. Not sure what is happening with them?

Question for ye - has anyone drawndown against the available funds (facility amount?) on their Offset account recently?

It used to be a standard letter to Central Park in Leopardstown which included the appropriate UB account(s) and Life Assurance details...
I presume this is still an option? I have tried to get through on their support number, but getting no response..

Mainly looking for the address to send the letter to please - assuming it is still possible.

Has anybody with one of these mortgages received any letters or updates recently on whats happening with them? The last I heard was around March when I received a letter to say it wasn't being transferred to PTSB or AIB and next steps would be advised around the middle of 2023.

Has anybody with one of these mortgages received any letters or updates recently on whats happening with them? The last I heard was around March when I received a letter to say it wasn't being transferred to PTSB or AIB and next steps would be advised around the middle of 2023.
Same as that. Have heard nothing since that last correspondence. I had to ring the UB mortgage department regarding an unrelated query about a month ago and I asked the lady if there was any update regarding the offset mortgages. She said there was no update, it was business as usual for the offset mortgages for the foreseeable future as far as she knew.

We encountered an unexpected issue this week when setting up a new direct debit with Aviva. They refused to set up a direct debit mandate for an UB account. Without getting into a convoluted explanation of offset mortgages, we explained that our mortgage and current account are still with UB with no plans to move them as yet, but they wouldn't budge on it, and we had to set it up on a Revolut account instead, which is not convenient for us. Ironically our other Aviva direct debits are all for our UB account - but that didn't seem to matter either. Has anyone encountered issues with other companies instigating similar policies?

Dear

We wrote to you in 2021 to tell you that Ulster Bank Ireland DAC is withdrawing from the Irish market. Since then, we’ve signed legally binding agreements to transfer some of our performing tracker mortgages to AIB Group (AIB) and our performing non-tracker mortgages to Permanent TSB (PTSB), subject to receiving regulatory approvals. As an Offset Mortgage customer, we want to update you on the Bank’s current position regarding your Offset Mortgage.

Why are we writing to you?

We want to confirm to you that your Offset Mortgage is not part of the legally binding agreements announced with AIB and PTSB.

You may also have heard about the Bank writing to customers to advise them to choose a new provider and open a new current account with them over the coming months. Please be advised that currently, this does not apply to Offset Mortgage customers with current and/or savings accounts linked to an Offset Mortgage.

As these accounts are linked to your Offset Mortgage, closure of these accounts would result in the loss of the Offset benefit. If the Offset Mortgage continues to meet your needs, you should ensure that any current and/or savings accounts linked to it remain open for now.

As an Offset mortgage customer what do you need to do?

Nothing. You do not need to take any action. Please be assured that your legal and regulatory protections have not changed. We will write to you again, later in 2022, with a further update on your Offset Mortgage and explain what that means for you.
We encountered an unexpected issue this week when setting up a new direct debit with Aviva. They refused to set up a direct debit mandate for an UB account. Without getting into a convoluted explanation of offset mortgages, we explained that our mortgage and current account are still with UB with no plans to move them as yet, but they wouldn't budge on it, and we had to set it up on a Revolut account instead, which is not convenient for us. Ironically our other Aviva direct debits are all for our UB account - but that didn't seem to matter either. Has anyone encountered issues with other companies instigating similar policies?
Encounter a similar problem went trying to get SEAI grant refund. The wouldn’t pay into an my Ulster bank account even though I confirmed it was open for the foreseeable future, as Ulster bank confirmed due to it being linked to offset mortgage.

I was switching electricity supplier few days ago online, the UB iban and bic would not be accepted, had to use a different bank account.

It’s going to be very difficult to continue using the current account as a functioning current account if companies won’t accept DD mandates for Ulster bank from now on.

Just as an FYI you don’t need to keep the actual Ulster Bank current account that gets opened for you when you take out the offset mortgage. I closed that a long time ago and have a few savings accounts linked to the mortgage for offsetting purposes.

I have my current account in another bank and I have various standing orders set up to get money in and out of the savings accounts in UB.

This latest issue with direct debits & money transfers is in conflict with UB correspondence to offset mortgage holders. We were told to continue using linked accounts as normal and nothing has changed except for updated terms and conditions which really related to branch closures.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm wondering what's ultimately going to happen with my mortgage and if it will happen anytime soon. I'll post up here as soon as I get anything further from UB

This latest issue with direct debits & money transfers is in conflict with UB correspondence to offset mortgage holders. We were told to continue using linked accounts as normal and nothing has changed except for updated terms and conditions which really related to branch closures.
I don't think though that is UBs fault, it's the providers who have blocked or whatever the inputting of UB details and probably for very good reason as no doubt some people were giving old account details and causing problems.

See the times article this morning. UB have agreed sale of "most" of their remaining loan book. Both performing and non performing.

I wonder if we are in that? Don't know how they would manage the bank accounts if we are.

Saw that article this morning alright. Couple of interesting bits in it;

However, Ulster Bank has still to find a future home for its so-called offset mortgages, where money in customers’ savings accounts is used to lower the balance – and interest due – on home loan accounts. The spokesman declined to comment on the size of the offset mortgages portfolio.
and
Jane Howard, Ulster Bank chief executive, told the Oireachtas finance committee in February that it would be next year at the earliest before the company hands its banking licence back to the Central Bank.
I wonder if Ulster Bank have worked through the rest of their loan book and might be in a position now to deal with the Offsets

"IRISH BANKS ARE making over €500 million a month by depositing €139 billion of Irish overnight savers money with the European Central Bank (ECB) at 4.0% interest, but only paying out 0.06% on average to customers."

Quoted from today's Journal.ie. Sorry can't post the link, but could this be why Ulster Bank are being slow to act on these mortgages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back