Ulster Bank offset mortgages are not being sold to AIB

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still an offset mortgage so doubt they could try that one, as you already have the savings account that's great if they would link that one instead of the current account, doesn't give you the functions of a current account but at least you can benefit from offsetting any money you can afford to put in the savings account.
Thanks for that monbretia. I never realised you could link multiple accounts to the offset mortgage. I could certainly begin saving through that ub savings account to reducé the interest on the mortgage. Where would be my best point of contact to get the savings account linked do you think and/ or could they refuse to to same? I don't really need the ub current account so might just leave as is.
Thanks

Thanks for that monbretia. I never realised you could link multiple accounts to the offset mortgage. I could certainly begin saving through that ub savings account to reducé the interest on the mortgage. Where would be my best point of contact to get the savings account linked do you think and/ or could they refuse to to same? I don't really need the ub current account so might just leave as is.
Thanks
You could just rock up to nearest branch and see if they can do it there, at least if they can't they will tell you who to contact. Think it was up to 4 accounts could be linked, I have closed all mine except for one savings account and the current account.

You could just rock up to nearest branch and see if they can do it there, at least if they can't they will tell you who to contact. Think it was up to 4 accounts could be linked, I have closed all mine except for one savings account and the current account.
Cheers for that, a great help.

Cheers for that, a great hel

So just to let you know, Ulster called back and will reopen the current account. As an aside, as the balance on the offset account grows, does this reduce the repayments on the mortgage or just shorten the term, assuming interest rates were to stay constant?

So just to let you know, Ulster called back and will reopen the current account. As an aside, as the balance on the offset account grows, does this reduce the repayments on the mortgage or just shorten the term, assuming interest rates were to stay constant?
That's great news!

The balance in the current account reduces the interest you pay on the mortgage so the payments don't change but the term should shorten depending of course on how much money you have in it. If the interest portion of each payment reduces then the capital portion increases which pays down the balance quicker.

Is the offset mortgage a repayment mortgage or an interest-only mortgage?

If it is an interest-only mortgage, then the interest charge will fall and presumably the repayment will fall accordingly.

Brendan

It's a repayment mortgage, the repayment doesn't fall in relation to less interest charged, the repayment only changes with rate changes otherwise it remains the same regardless of the interest savings, it just means more capital is being cleared.

Is the offset mortgage a repayment mortgage or an interest-only mortgage?

If it is an interest-only mortgage, then the interest charge will fall and presumably the repayment will fall accordingly.

Brendan
It's a repayment mortgage so the term will shorten over time then. With interest rates on the up id imagine it's probably the best place to put any savings at the minute. I note the talk of the possibility of ulster bank trying to offload these mortgages by way of a discount to the mortgage holder if they can clear the balance. Is this likely does anyone think?

It's a repayment mortgage so the term will shorten over time then.

Either the repayment will remain the same, and the term will reduce
or
The term will remain the same and the repayment will reduce.

I imagine that the default would be that the term would remain the same.

Brendan

With the Danske offset mortgage it was possible to periodically request an adjustment to the repayment amount in order to keep the same term. This was applicable where extra capital had been paid down due to the offset balance reducing the interest portion.

I think it also happened automatically with changes to the interest rate but I'm not sure about that.

May or may not be the same with Ulster.

So guys, I also have a drawdown facility of 33k left on my offset mortgage. From what I'm reading here is it as simple as calling ub and topping it up without all the rigmarole of payslips, credit checks , stress checks etc?
If so couldn't I draw it down and dump it into my offset current account. Repayments would go up but it's effectively an interest free source of credit until it's taken out of the offset account and used at some later date?
Thank you.

Either the repayment will remain the same, and the term will reduce
or
The term will remain the same and the repayment will reduce.

I imagine that the default would be that the term would remain the same.

Brendan
The term technically stays the same but in effect similar with overpayments it will end sooner if overpaid which basically is what is happening when repayments remain the same but the interest portion is smaller.

So guys, I also have a drawdown facility of 33k left on my offset mortgage. From what I'm reading here is it as simple as calling ub and topping it up without all the rigmarole of payslips, credit checks , stress checks etc?
If so couldn't I draw it down and dump it into my offset current account. Repayments would go up but it's effectively an interest free source of credit until it's taken out of the offset account and used at some later date?
Thank you.
Yes you have that roughly right, there is a form to be signed for drawdown rather than just a phone call and you must have life cover in place to cover the additional drawdown for the remaining term of mortgage, if you had decreasing term insurance originally it may have decreased below what you need but need to check it. If you have any other policy you can use that instead if it covers what's needed.

Alternatively if you fit the bill for a 'waiver' it might be an option but would delay things and is totally at their discretion to give or not.

Yes you have that roughly right, there is a form to be signed for drawdown rather than just a phone call and you must have life cover in place to cover the additional drawdown for the remaining term of mortgage, if you had decreasing term insurance originally it may have decreased below what you need but need to check it. If you have any other policy you can use that instead if it covers what's needed.

Alternatively if you fit the bill for a 'waiver' it might be an option but would delay things and is totally at their discretion to give or not.
Really appreciate the info monbretia but you lost me with the waiver thing. How does that work exactly? Thank you

Really appreciate the info monbretia but you lost me with the waiver thing. How does that work exactly? Thank you
Under Consumer Credit Act you must have life insurance in place to cover a mortgage however there are a few reasons where a bank can offer you a 'waiver' of that requirement. Usually if you can't get it due to a medical condition, too expensive to get it due again to medical reason, customer is over 55, however it is up to lender whether or not to allow this.

Under Consumer Credit Act you must have life insurance in place to cover a mortgage however there are a few reasons where a bank can offer you a 'waiver' of that requirement. Usually if you can't get it due to a medical condition, too expensive to get it due again to medical reason, customer is over 55, however it is up to lender whether or not to allow this.
Oh grand, il make sure it's adequate for the cover il need. Thanks for all

I'll break your heart yet monbretia with these questions... so contacted ulster, nó problem getting the extra facility, just need letter with life assurance assigned to them. Thing is I changed life assurance in 2010 and sent ulster the new policy but it's not assigned to them as far as I can see tonight. Will call insurer tmra to confirm same. So is it a big deal to get this done and does it take long typically. Just a bit anxious that ulster can review the facilty at any time and I run out out of time. Thanks in advance,

I'll break your heart yet monbretia with these questions... so contacted ulster, nó problem getting the extra facility, just need letter with life assurance assigned to them. Thing is I changed life assurance in 2010 and sent ulster the new policy but it's not assigned to them as far as I can see tonight. Will call insurer tmra to confirm same. So is it a big deal to get this done and does it take long typically. Just a bit anxious that ulster can review the facilty at any time and I run out out of time. Thanks in advance,
I wouldn't have thought that they needed it assigned, feel they dropped that requirement at some stage but maybe they reinstated it, I'm remembering back a while! They must not have been assigning them back in 2010 or they would have looked for it when you sent in new policy, if they have already accepted that policy then just confirm back to them when sending in letter that it's an up to date copy of the same policy they already have on file showing it's still in force and wait and see.

I wouldn't have thought that they needed it assigned, feel they dropped that requirement at some stage but maybe they reinstated it, I'm remembering back a while! They must not have been assigning them back in 2010 or they would have looked for it when you sent in new policy, if they have already accepted that policy then just confirm back to them when sending in letter that it's an up to date copy of the same policy they already have on file showing it's still in force and wait and see.
Good idea, il throw it back to them that way see how it goes. Was told over the phone that when they receive letter from me etc that funds would b in my account within 5 working days.... will let you know how it works out. Thank you

With interest rates on the up id imagine it's probably the best place to put any savings at the minute.

This is a big advantage of these accounts. If the interest rate on your offset mortgage is 3% and you are offsetting it entirely with savings, your savings will save you 3% worth of interest on your mortgage, which is a lot more than you would get if you put that money in a deposit account accruing .05% (not to mention a dirt tax reduction). These Offset mortgages are one of the few ways that your savings are actually working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back