Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Hi
I sent CF83 form March 2023 but just got turned down letter as they say I was not an ordinarily employed immediately before leaving uk .However dates show I worked on a Friday and left uk that weekend 1997 Sunday.
Rang the but the person couldn't answer what is an ordinarily employed Worked in UK April 87 to May 97 and have 6yrs on uk Pension Forcast. Unsure why not 10 yrs on forecast. I have work in Ireland since. Took about 3 months to get job when I first can back so signed o Irish dole for these 3 months in 97. Anyone know what ordinarily employed is before I reply to HMRC and send new CF83 form with loads of paperwork to back my records Also any advise would be welcome.
Spider

Hi
I sent CF83 form March 2023 but just got turned down letter as they say I was not an ordinarily employed immediately before leaving uk .However dates show I worked on a Friday and left uk that weekend 1997 Sunday.
Rang the but the person couldn't answer what is an ordinarily employed Worked in UK April 87 to May 97 and have 6yrs on uk Pension Forcast. Unsure why not 10 yrs on forecast. I have work in Ireland since. Took about 3 months to get job when I first can back so signed o Irish dole for these 3 months in 97. Anyone know what ordinarily employed is before I reply to HMRC and send new CF83 form with loads of paperwork to back my records Also any advise would be welcome.
Spider
Working immediately before you leave the UK is a qualifying requirement to pay NICs at class 2 rates. Do you mean turned down for class 2 rates or refused entirely the option to pay additional NICs?

it seems odd that you don’t have at least 10 years on your record. A lot of posters here have reported more years than they actually worked in the UK, for various reasons. Did you get a NI number as soon as you began working in the UK and were you paying NICs up until the Friday that you left?

The DWP operates a telephone helpline staffed with helpful and informed people. I’d suggest calling them first and as early in the morning as possible to try to avoid congested phone lines. Such a conversation might inform you how best to submit your response.

Working immediately before you leave the UK is a qualifying requirement to pay NICs at class 2 rates. Do you mean turned down for class 2 rates or refused entirely the option to pay additional NICs?

it seems odd that you don’t have at least 10 years on your record. A lot of posters here have reported more years than they actually worked in the UK, for various reasons. Did you get a NI number as soon as you began working in the UK and were you paying NICs up until the Friday that you left?

The DWP operates a telephone helpline staffed with helpful and informed people. I’d suggest calling them first and as early in the morning as possible to try to avoid congested phone lines. Such a conversation might inform you how best to submit your response.
Hi
I was turned down for class 2 and asked if I wish to apply for class 3 instead unsure if the suggestion was I would get class 3. Yes got NI number for week in UK 1987. Yes paying NICs all the time. Was self-employed ie SC60s first eight Years and accounts submitted each year and PAYE final 2 years. Luckily I have all past uk employers details & dates, all past uk living addresses with dates, some tax receipts, PAYE P45 and P 60.. I will just throw the kitchen sink at it I.e paperwork
Spider

Appeal the class 2 assessment; make sure you are crystal clear on your dates and that everything lines up. Include copies of all your supporting paperwork.

Even at class 3 its still a good deal.

Appeal the class 2 assessment; make sure you are crystal clear on your dates and that everything lines up. Include copies of all your supporting paperwork.

Even at class 3 its still a good deal.
Yes
Preparing appeal at present, takes so long for reply from HMRC due to backlog, going online would be great here. Anyone know if the biometric passport for Gateway actually works. Have set up account but can't get past the verification ID bit. Only uk passport, driving licence, recent p60 available options
Spider

Yes
Preparing appeal at present, takes so long for reply from HMRC due to backlog, going online would be great here. Anyone know if the biometric passport for Gateway actually works. Have set up account but can't get past the verification ID bit. Only uk passport, driving licence, recent p60 available options
Spider
Be persistent with the online access to Govt Gateway. I think it took about 8 attempts on my part before I had success. Getting it makes it so much easier to enquire on your record.

Hi
I was turned down for class 2 and asked if I wish to apply for class 3 instead unsure if the suggestion was I would get class 3. Yes got NI number for week in UK 1987. Yes paying NICs all the time. Was self-employed ie SC60s first eight Years and accounts submitted each year and PAYE final 2 years. Luckily I have all past uk employers details & dates, all past uk living addresses with dates, some tax receipts, PAYE P45 and P 60.. I will just throw the kitchen sink at it I.e paperwork
Spider
An appeal sounds worthwhile as the cost difference is significant. I didn’t do this so can’t offer a advice.

This is just an idea but in your original application did you include the words “I worked up until the point that I left the UK”. With the volume of cases being processed I wouldn’t be surprised if the admin teams are under pressure to work through the backlog and may just accep that statement without verification.

Loads of attempts at the Gateway no mention of proof outside UK documents, I am going through Gateway but is there another way I am missing. I have Gateway app . Am I missing something here

Yes did include worked on a Friday last day on last day on p45 and p 60 as proof and left on a Sunday same weekend. Strange thing tho when I rang uk NIC people and separately work and Pensions people looking at their computer they couldn't understand why I was rejected. I really need an online access to sort this out rather then six months between correspondence. I am replying CF83 but I thing online would be more productive. MaybevI am unlucky with my caseworker.
Spider

I see my account has been updated to say completed, but there no messages or any info on class2 or 3 or rejection?
I provided a letter with details and stated my case with my Ireland address, I put my last UK address in the CF83, as I understood that was correct, perhaps that was not correct?

How do they contact you?

My account has also been updated in the last few days to 'Completed' with a likely response dated indicated as 10 February (I submitted CF83 for change from Class 3 to 2 last April) - I am a bit worried that my record still shows payments around the £800 mark for each year indicating that my record is still at Class 3 - though hopefully this will have changed by the time I get the response.

I see my account has been updated to say completed, but there no messages or any info on class2 or 3 or rejection?
I provided a letter with details and stated my case with my Ireland address, I put my last UK address in the CF83, as I understood that was correct, perhaps that was not correct?

How do they contact you?

My account changed from "in Progress" to "completed" in late December and I received letter confirming acceptance for Class 2 today.

However, after confirming that I can pay for 14 years additional NICs they state

"To find out if your state pension will increase after you've paid voluntary NICs, you must phone the Pension Service on 04 44 191218 3600.
Due to changes in the law, you need the pension service to confirm whether your state pension will increase if you pay any shortfall"

Does anyone know what that last para refers to? HMRC already stated that that by making additional contributions, my pension would increase, when I checked previous contributions made via their online service? What do "changes in the law" refer to?

Just received this letter this morning from HMRC.
Not sure if class 2 was accepted or reject ! Anyone receive the same ?
Also.. it states I have 3 Q yrs. I actually have 9 full yrs which is confirmed on the HMRC website.

I should qualify as I fit the criteria with work etc.
I checked the website but it still says class 3.

Attachments

• IMG_20240112_131030.jpg
    IMG_20240112_131030.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Not that I can see. This is the back of the letter.
Can't make head nor tail of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240112_130645.jpg
    IMG_20240112_130645.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 132
Back