Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Any ideas on the following scenario, worked and lived in northern Ireland, approx. 1998 to 2007, got married, relocated to Ireland but kept same job from 2007 to 2013. Have 15 full years on my NI record.

Unemployed since then other than a period from 2020-2021 when i was employed in Ireland.

Should i be Class 2 ?

System is showing Class 3.

If you believe you should be Class 2, complete the CF83 & add a cover letter saying why you believe you should be class 2.

Is it worth paying class 3?
My money says yes; there's not too many guaranteed returns in life, but this is definitely close. However its your cash, not mine, so decide for yourself.

Hi,
I submitted my CF38 form way back now, March this year. I have heard nothing since. It seemed there were delays so I never checked back on website thinking I'd get an acknowledgement in due course. I've logged into gov.uk today and on the 'check progress' tab it says 'I cannot see submitted forms'. It says it can take a few days. I sent by registered post to the correct address.

Has anyone else had that issue?

Hi,
I submitted my CF38 form way back now, March this year. I have heard nothing since. It seemed there were delays so I never checked back on website thinking I'd get an acknowledgement in due course. I've logged into gov.uk today and on the 'check progress' tab it says 'I cannot see submitted forms'. It says it can take a few days. I sent by registered post to the correct address.

Yes sent mine and oh in same envelope. I got reply he didn't so checked online and nothing there. Sent another letter and copy of form finally got letter back 11 months later to say form not signed which it was. Have sent again.

Hi,

Sent my CF38 form back in March also - heard nothing since. Glad you're in the same boat as me!

I posted my CF38 in early February. It has just appeared on the Form tracker section of the website today and says it is ‘in progress’. Based on that you may have a few more weeks to wait.

I posted my CF38 last January, I only got a response today. According to them they are about 10 months behind the millions of applications, hence the extension. In relation to their website, it does default to the class 3 NI contribution. I only have 7 years UK worked, need 10 to qualify. So will be hopefully aiming to purchase additional class 2 NI contributions. According to what I’m reading here, maximum I can purchase is additional 6 years. So that’s 16 years in total.

I posted my CF38 in early February. It has just appeared on the Form tracker section of the website today and says it is ‘in progress’. Based on that you may have a few more weeks to wait.
I spoke to them in UK yesterday and they are currently working on mid February applications, I submitted mine in mid March, they told me to expect to hear something in six to eight weeks

You can check on the gov.co. uk website when you might receive a reply. Just Google ‘check when you can expect a reply from HMRC’ and use their tool. It’ll tell you what date they are currently working on. The date when they would have been working on the receipt of my CF38 passed about a week ago so I’m hoping there is something on the way to me in the post. The form tracker for my account on the HMRC app also shows my status has progressed from ‘in progress’ to ‘completed’.

You can check on the gov.co. uk website when you might receive a reply. Just Google ‘check when you can expect a reply from HMRC’ and use their tool. It’ll tell you what date they are currently working on. The date when they would have been working on the receipt of my CF38 passed about a week ago so I’m hoping there is something on the way to me in the post. The form tracker for my account on the HMRC app also shows my status has progressed from ‘in progress’ to ‘completed’.

As far as I am aware, all international HMRC post is batched and routed through a distribution centre in Rotterdam and receipt of post can therefore take 3 - 4 weeks

I finally received my letter from HMRC today and they’ve approved my application with a combination of Class 2 and Class 3 contributions. They split the contributions exactly matching my covering letter which detailed my working and non working time since leaving the UK. It took a while but I’m impressed with how accurately they’ve processed my paperwork.

I got my letter from HM Revenue and Customs today approving my 18 years class 2 contributions. All I can say is a big THANKYOU to all those on here who answered my numerous questions and gave me the confidence (and the metaphorical kick up the backside) to do it myself!! @DannyBoyD in particular who seems to go out of his way to help us all!! Sent off the form early April. Pure delighted!!

I got my letter from HM Revenue and Customs today approving my 18 years class 2 contributions. All I can say is a big THANKYOU to all those on here who answered my numerous questions and gave me the confidence (and the metaphorical kick up the backside) to do it myself!! @DannyBoyD in particular who seems to go out of his way to help us all!! Sent off the form early April. Pure delighted!!
Can only second this emotion. I got the same letter, recently, with the full period of 17 years at Class 2 contributions. It will make a massive difference to my retirment plans. Thanks to all.

Can only second this emotion. I got the same letter, recently, with the full period of 17 years at Class 2 contributions. It will make a massive difference to my retirment plans. Thanks to all.
That’s the key point isn’t it…..a state backed index linked income for life for such a small investment and at a more vulnerable life stage is a nice confluence of events. Especially when both husband and wife are entitled. It’s provided us with much greater peace of mind over our retirement plans.

It’s so good I can’t shake the feeling that it will all fall apart before we benefit!

Back