Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

he has been self employed farmer here since 2004 to date. Is a revenue tax return acceptable to show proof of employment in Ireland and would he qualify for class 2?

Curious to see the outcome of this scenario. I've been wondering if being self-employed in Ireland is still eligible for Class 2 like it is in the UK.

I have sent my cf83 form off today with covering letter by registered post. I have a year to go to retirement so hopefully it will be sorted by then. The NI38 information document said to enclose proof of employment for class 2, which I did, but they may ask for more info yet.

Julia 20, Did you have get a statement from your employer?
Sorry for late reply.No they accepted my list. I did work in the public service, don’t know if they checked I doubt it.

I am very late to the game here… I worked in UK for about a decade, left in 1998… I have done the log in, check contributions and got a forecast. Been working since I moved back here, still working.
the forecast is £60 a week which I was delighted with, thought I’d get nothing.
now it seems I can get more..
provided I pay up £824 a year .. grand I’m lucky to be able to do that right now. From 2006 onward? Earlier years it’s too late, my bad, never occurred to me.

The class 3 v 2 is wrecking my head, I can’t figure it out. any definitive answers there?

Even at £800 it is a good investment as long as I love a few year before retiring. I am 60 now.

so it seems I have a few days to send them lots of money. Then I need to send more annually, grand I’m still working so I will be able to do that.

hubby is British and is I pretty much the same position, except he was self employed for 20 years when we moved here. he’s also 3 years younger than me so has a few more years to pay up.

so almost £20k between is before next week? Yikes

am I missing somethin?

can I really be paid up into 2 state systems for the same years?

The online website appears to default to Class 3.

If you believe you qualify for Class 2 (review key post), complete CF83 with a cover letter and send by recorded delivery. You should each do a separate CF83.

You will (eventually) get a response and thats when you make your back payments.

At the risk of being cranky; the benefit of doing this has been repeated again and again. Along with posts from people who are retired and claiming both.

Sorry to be so repetitive
as I said I’m late to the game. And I was panicking over the next week deadline… which I see now is 31 July So I can breath again.

I’ll send off the form and revisit the class discussion.

Hi Guys,

I'm helping someone with this and they turn 66 in May. Will they be charged at Class 2 as they will be 65 when the submission is made or Class 3 as they will be 66 when the envelope is opened.

Also helping them with the State Contributory Pension application form and there is a section that asks about working overseas and states the following on page 1

If you have lived or worked in another country: We will apply for a pension on your behalf to those countries covered by EU Regulations or Bilateral Agreements.

Any thoughts on this line and the current situation?

Thanks in advance.

Will they be charged at Class 2 as they will be 65 when the submission is made or Class 3 as they will be 66 when the envelope is opened.
My understanding is that it will be treated on the basis of when the letter is received, not opened.

If you have lived or worked in another country: We will apply for a pension on your behalf to those countries covered by EU Regulations or Bilateral Agreements.
It's highly unlikely that they will be better off using paid UK contributions to get to a full Irish SPC. It depends on the patterns of paid contributions in Ireland and UK, and voluntary contributions in the UK. Without knowing that it's difficult to advise.

I went to reply & the realised the OP is likely referring to 2 different pension systems.

When I sent my payment via Revolut, I put my NI number followed the letters "IC" followed by my full surname and lastly the first letter of my christian name so for example somebody called John Smith with a NI number of NY123407C would enter NY123407CICSMITHJ as the reference. I rang a couple of weeks after sending the money and told them which years the payment was for and they updated the system.
I tried to pay using Revolut but it was flagged as highly suspicious activity, I was wondering if anyone else had this experience? I abandoned it !

Last edited:
I tried to pay using Revolut but it was flagged as highly suspicious activity, I was wondering if anyone else had this experience? I abandoned it !
I pay via Revolut but only a year at a time. Never had an issue with it.

There a lot of payments to that HMRC account so I’m surprised flags are raised.

Same response really, see if you can get him registered & find his record of contributions.

Same response really, see if you can get him registered & find his record of contributions.
Thanks Danny, I will speak with him later and see if was living there for 3 years at least and take it from there.

I am having problems getting on the website as I do not have a passport to hand at the moment. I have a valid Irish passport card, but it doesn't accept that. I have written to Wolverhampton for a pension forecast, has anyone any recent experience of how long they take?

Last edited:
Back