Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

I rang a couple of weeks after sending the money and told them which years the payment was for and they updated the system.
That's good. What I have done is make separate payments for each year and then I write them a letter saying which year I expect them to credit the payments for. I generally get a letter back a few months later confirming it.

@DannyBoyD and all the other contributors-First time poster - Thanks so much for posting this information. As a result from these posts , I finally managed to register for a gateway ID and get it verified ( not via App which wouldn't sync , but manual verification worked). Did this for my wife as well - we both have a 10 year gap we can look at paying the voluntary contributions. Sounds like it will be a while before we get final confirmation, but this could make a huge difference for us. Your clarity in breaking it down to the individual steps and encouragement to do it was a great help. Keep up the great work!

I was retired at 60 when I applied to buy back UK-NI contributions. I was able to buy class 2 for my years working up to retirement.I was advised to send a record of where I worked since leaving employment in the UK. Once you retire you have to pay the more expensive class 3 contributions. So buy early when working,it’s so much cheaper!

I have sent my cf83 form off today with covering letter by registered post. I have a year to go to retirement so hopefully it will be sorted by then. The NI38 information document said to enclose proof of employment for class 2, which I did, but they may ask for more info yet.

Julia 20, Did you have get a statement from your employer?

Hi Guys

Great thread. I have a query about the address. I have two forms one of which is the CF83 Dated 2015 and another dated 2019 with different addresses as below

CF83(20I5)
Return the completed form to:
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC),
NIC&EO, International Caseworker,
Benton Park View,
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
NE98 1ZZ,
England.

CF83(2019)
Return the completed form to:
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN
United Kingdom

Which one is correct, I assume the more recent one !

Extremely cheeky question: being technically pension contributions, and with the bi-lateral agreement still in place post-Brexit, are paid UK voluntary contributions in any way tax deductible on an Irish tax return?

Brilliant post, very informative! The video is great too, thanks Dan! This is probably a very stupid question but can I only pay voluntary contributions for gap years after I worked the consecutive 3 years? I started working in the UK 8 years ago, built up 4 years of contributions and then left, giving me a 4 year gap of no contributions. I guess I can pay voluntary contributions for the last 4 years but can't utilise the full 18 years being offered now right?

Even if this is the case, your information has helped me so much because I didn't even realise I could continue to pay voluntary contributions at all.

4 year gap of no contributions.
So you pay the 4 years to bring you up to date; then you continue payments until you max out at 35 years or reach pension age which ever comes first.

I don't understand where the 18 years comes from.

Thanks, that's what I thought. To be honest, before your post I didn't even realise I could continue paying voluntary contributions after leaving the UK so I'll keep on top of it from now on.
I don't understand where the 18 years comes from.
You mentioned in your first post that a window has opened to allow back payments to be made to fill gaps within the last 18 years and I initially thought I could pay off 14 years, stupid in hindsight. I'll pay the 4 years and do the rest annually instead.

Interesting video.

It's a bit jumpy and it's very fast. You don't get a chance to read the text.

A few things I learnt from it which I had not known. They have probably been covered here already, but I had missed them.

1) To qualify for a pension, you must have a minimum of 10 years' contributions
2) You do not have to have worked in the UK for three years. You need to have lived there for three years.

You need to have lived there for three years.
Yes but then you can only make Class 3 voluntary NICs. More expensive, but still worth it.

The UK (like Ireland) has no compulsory registration of residence. So it would be very hard to prove or disprove that you had lived there for a continuous period decades ago. I'm not sure how HMRC would deal with someone who claimed they had lived in the UK as a non-working spouse for three years and had no contact with the benefits system.

Hi, hoping to get some help please.
My dad worked in the UK before moving back to Ireland in 2004. He is currently getting a reduced UK pension for last two years as paid 25 year’s contributions up until 2011. We have contacted UK pensions who are asking if he was employed in Ireland which he has been self employed farmer here since 2004 to date. Is a revenue tax return acceptable to show proof of employment in Ireland and would he qualify for class 2?

Thanks so much

Back