UK State pension - Am I class 2 or Class 3

You can request a record of your prsi contributions I printed mine off and sent it with my CF38 application form - I am applying for mostly class 2's, and tried to give as comprehensive a record as I could.

You will need to create a MyGov.ie account, but it tells you how to do this.
Hi tiegan, another question when you contacted HMRC were they able to tell you when you stopped working in their UK.i.e what month etc or did you already know? As can't remember although my gateway account shows full contributions for 1994-1995?

Hi tiegan, another question when you contacted HMRC were they able to tell you when you stopped working in their UK.i.e what month etc or did you already know? As can't remember although my gateway account shows full contributions for 1994-1995?
No they didn't tell me and I wasn't 100% sure myself - I just put Oct/Nov 1988 and wrote a comprehensive cover letter giving all the information I had.

My situation is that I was born in the England, lived, studied and worked there until age 28, building up 10 years of NI contributions during this time and worked there right up to the last day before I moved to R. of Ireland in the year 2000. I have lived and worked here for 23 years, starting immediately on the day I arrived here. I have no intention of returning to live in the UK at any future time.

I can't see anything in that that would preclude me from paying at Class 2 rate now, but I have been assessed for Class 3. I have written and completed form CF83 three times now, but I am getting no explanation of why I'm being assessed for Class 3. All I receive, after a huge delay, partially due to HMRC paying insufficient postage each time, is a "State Pension Statement" listing the missing Class 3 contributions.

Can anyone enlighten me on any reason why I wouldn't be assessed for Class 2???

And, if it's not asking too much, does anyone have a Magic Phrase that I need to write in a covering letter with another CF83 form - which must be my last due to the impending deadline - that will get them to REASSESS my conribution rate?

Of note, my wife has very similar circumstances and was assessed for Class 2. Perhaps the only difference in her case is that, although born in England, she's only ever held an Irish passport. I still hold an UK passport until I can find the ~ €1,500 to for citizenship.

My situation is that I was born in the England, lived, studied and worked there until age 28, building up 10 years of NI contributions during this time and worked there right up to the last day before I moved to R. of Ireland in the year 2000. I have lived and worked here for 23 years, starting immediately on the day I arrived here. I have no intention of returning to live in the UK at any future time.

I can't see anything in that that would preclude me from paying at Class 2 rate now, but I have been assessed for Class 3. I have written and completed form CF83 three times now, but I am getting no explanation of why I'm being assessed for Class 3. All I receive, after a huge delay, partially due to HMRC paying insufficient postage each time, is a "State Pension Statement" listing the missing Class 3 contributions.

Can anyone enlighten me on any reason why I wouldn't be assessed for Class 2???

And, if it's not asking too much, does anyone have a Magic Phrase that I need to write in a covering letter with another CF83 form - which must be my last due to the impending deadline - that will get them to REASSESS my conribution rate?

Of note, my wife has very similar circumstances and was assessed for Class 2. Perhaps the only difference in her case is that, although born in England, she's only ever held an Irish passport. I still hold an UK passport until I can find the ~ €1,500 to for citizenship.

Have you tried phoning the helpline.

Although it can take up to an hour to get through and that can be a pain. However, the feedback from most people is very positive, once you get through to an advisor.
They will be able to pull up your records, and find out why you are being assessed as Class 3. It might be worth the hassle of hanging on the phone for an hour or so.

Thanks all for this great thread. I'm a bit late to the party and only heard about this amnesty recently. I Worked for 5 years in the UK, studied for 1year prior to this. Moved in 2017 from UK back to Ireland and straight into full time employment in 2017 in Ireland (actually with the Irish subsidiary of the same UK company).

Is this enough to put in the cover letter to get switched from Class 3 to Class 2 assessment (making class 3 payments for multiple years would be a challenge right now for me for other reasons)? I suppose I'm wondering are they accepting in the cover letter if you say you moved from full time UK employment to full time ROI employment as sufficient evidence to be assessed as Class 2? Are people provided supporting info for this with their cover letter? Irish payslips or something like that?

Thanks very much for any feedback or thoughts

Update I sent my form in Noc. I outlined my emoluments in the letter to ask for class 2. I got a letter from them today giving me the years I can pay back at class 3. It says if I believe I should be class 2 to send details, so not sure what they are looking for. I will ring them on Mon to clarify. I have worked constantly since returning to Ireland so believe I should pay class 2.

..if I believe I should be class 2 to send details, so not sure what they are looking for. I will ring them on Mon to clarify.
I would imagine they are looking for documentary proof on UK employment & then Irish employment with the dates lining up.

Post back & let us know how you get on.

I would imagine they are looking for documentary proof on UK employment & then Irish employment with the dates lining up.

Post back & let us know how you get on.
In my case I had to submit a CV to the reviewer who reduced my down to class 2. No idea what difference it made as my CV showed I'd worked in Ireland for the last 20 years, but it seemed to do the trick

I had written a letter and given the dates of each employment and the name of the employer from 2006 to now. There was one gap of a couple of months and I explained I had moved and started a masters before starting work. Not sure what else they want. Will ring tomorrow as today was a Bank Holiday.

Update. Rang just after 9 so only waiting a minute to get through. The person I dealt with could not see anything and couldn't suggest anything other than sending in more detail. I have registered a letter (cost 10 euro!!!) And included the details of employment, prsi record and employment certificate so fingers crossed I will be able to pay class 2.

Hi again all, I'm just filling in the CF83 form, and wondering if anyone can help with my slightly odd situation.

I lived in UK from 25 Sep 2011 to 14 October 2016.
I did a masters from Sep 2011 to Sep 2012, but this included a paid internship for June, July and August 2011.
I then went straight into work full time from 1st October 2012 with a UK company.
After this it gets tricky.
In 2016/17 I was employed by the same UK company but actually flew nearly weekly to Ireland for 3 days (2 nights) for a project in Ireland. My last lease/address date was 14 October 2016 in the UK, but I continued to work for the UK company based from Ireland. The UK company set up an Irish sub-company (partly for Brexit reasons at the time, and because we had ongoing Irish work so the plan was to expand into Irish market, with me as the first fulltime employee). I was transferred to the Irish sub-company (with the same name, just with Ireland at the end of it on 1st March 2017, and began paying Irish PAYE and PRSI from this date onwards...

Q10 asks what date did you leave the UK - is the date I left the UK the date I stopped having a lease (and physically moved), or is it the date I was taken off the UK payroll and transferred to Irish sub-company? (I continued paying UK taxes until the 1st March 2017).

Does anyone know which date I should be using as leaving UK date? I think it's 14 October 2016, but I have full years NI contributions for 2016/17 and don't want to confuse this picture. I'm reading through the NI38 document now, and think it means I was considered ordinarily resident in the UK until 14/10/2016 - had a home available to me until then? Whereas after that date I did not....

Any one in a similar situation or have any thoughts?

Hi all

Firstly just found this and what a treasure trove of info... thanks to everyone involved especially the OP

My situation is I moved to UK to work in 1990 until mid 1997 initially as self employed then employed.

I have completed the registration on gov.uk and have a record of my contributions.

1990 to early 1993... self employed
1993 to part 1997... paid employment

I worked immediately (and still in same job) on return to Ireland.

I sent in form CF83 and have a reply asking what class I wish to buy... this is the question I am not sure.

Reading posts here I believe it would be class 2 (which would be great) but has anyone any advice on this?

You want Class 2
Thanks so much for the prompt reply Danny and great news

I hope you don't mind me asking another... my wife did same but her details on return to Ireland are slightly different as while she worked on return she stopped working on the birth of our first kid and was stay at home mum (2nd kid has special needs so even when she normally could return to work force it was not possible for her)

Her record is 1990 - 1997 full years

Same as above Class 2 or 3 ??

Back