UK State pension - Am I class 2 or Class 3

1) keep a scan of what you send them
2) have it sent by recorded delivery

That way there can never be dispute.
Just updating this post to confirm that once they receive your CF83 form, it is acknowledged in the "Check Progress" section of the website. See screenshot. It does say "Online", even though I posted it, but the date matches what my An Post Tracking number has as the delivered date.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-18 093207.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-18 093207.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 231
Thanks @davy200 - I just checked my progress and it also says online - so there is safety in numbers! Thanks I hadn't realised I could check progress.

This is based on whether or not you were ordinarily resident just before you left. So you answer accordingly.
Hi DannyBoyD, just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly: on CF83, question 12 - are you Ordinarily Resident in the UK? - I should note yes for this?
(I was ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years until I departed in 2014. I now live and work permanently in Ireland, no plans to move back).
I have read all posts and read NI38 leaflet but just unsure on this point.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Hi DannyBoyD, just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly: on CF83, question 12 - are you Ordinarily Resident in the UK? - I should note yes for this?
(I was ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years until I departed in 2014. I now live and work permanently in Ireland, no plans to move back).
I have read all posts and read NI38 leaflet but just unsure on this point.
Thanks in advance for the help.
My understanding of the NI38 guidance note is that you should answer this based on your residency just prior to leaving the UK. So yes is the answer.

I lived in the UK for 19months (Feb2006 to Aug 2007), but i transgressed 3 tax years 2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 and made NI contributions in each of those, (above the LEL).

i also appear to have received the 3 years automatic contributions on top as others have mentioned above. When i log into my account, it states i have 6 years contributions, so my question is should I state that i have the 6 years in my letter (where i'm making my case for Class2) or should i fluff over this and just state 3 tax years?

Last edited:
You need to establish that you meet the conditions for class 2.
I believe I meet the conditions, 3 consecutive tax years, working immediately before I departed and working and paying PRSI since then. My question is more should I take the 3 years off the table and state 6 years per my Gov.uk account statement?

Your cover letter only needs to say that you believe you are eligible for class 2 and on what grounds.

That’s what in trying to do above……Are there any other grounds other than what I have stated above?
Would you consider this to be sufficient? Or is there anything additional you would suggest I add?
…I think I’ll just leave it at 3 to be on the safe side.
PS, appreciate all your insights and advice

Last edited:
dont worry about your number of years contributions. DWP records are pretty good. Just tick the box for class 2 & write your cover letter.

Hi, created an account on HMRC for my husband and its saying that he has 9 years of contributions, i can only see 6 listed, it looks as if he was Class 3, when completing the CF38 form he cannot remember his last address in the UK or the exact date he left! Any guidance?

Does he have an approximate location? Would looking up a street name on google maps help? Can he remember the name of a local pub?

Does he recall the year he returned / moved to Ireland? Thinking about major life events might help to place it.

The gateway system is showing that there is 9 years contributions but I am only seeing 6 year's on the attached photo is anyone elses like this?, also my hubby cannot figure out when he left the uk, was is 95 or 96.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502_073900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502_073900_Gallery.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 131
Not sure I understand the gateway question.

You could check with revenue on your tax / prsi records and that would show date when you first started working in Ireland and hence date of departure from UK.

The gateway system is showing that there is 9 years contributions but I am only seeing 6 year's on the attached photo is anyone elses like this?, also my hubby cannot figure out when he left the uk, was is 95 or 96.
Most of us are finding that there are an additional 3 years of full credits against our record, over and above what we expected. It is to do with the three years between age 16 and 19, where some people would already be working, whilst others might have stayed in school. Seems to be that everyone gets those 3 years for free. I do see those additional 3 years at the very bottom of my National Insurance record table though.

Not sure I understand the gateway question.

You could check with revenue on your tax / prsi records and that would show date when you first started working in Ireland and hence date of departure from UK.
Yes might give them a ring today.

Yes might give them a ring today.
You can request a record of your prsi contributions I printed mine off and sent it with my CF38 application form - I am applying for mostly class 2's, and tried to give as comprehensive a record as I could.

You will need to create a MyGov.ie account, but it tells you how to do this.

Back