U2 tickets

With you all the way, legend.

U2 earning gazillions in tax-free royalties on output which is, well spotted Ribena, becoming increasingly formulaic while spouting on about Dublin being the only place they want to live where they can utilise the public services funded by the taxes paid by families struggling to keep things together and who couldn't afford to pay U2.com €40 for ****-all in return even if they wanted to is simply beyond parody.

Would Dublin still be the only place they'd want to live if their tax breaks were capped (as legend suggests) or abolished (as I would like). Do you ever get the feeling that they would be suddenly drawn to Monte Carlo rather than Killiney?

Do they claim children's allowances?

Okay, I'll stop now.

Larrys quote was.......

"By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you..." which is a bit different from the accusation made.

My view and it won't make me popular is that U2 put together a process to guarantee tickets (at a cost of $40) to guarantee tickets. It was in every paper and on every radio station in the days leading up to the issue. If people didn't use it, it's very hard to grumble especially knowing that it was almost impossible to get tickets for Slane.

I'm alright Jack.

Re: Larrys quote was.......

sorry rainyday but it makes Jonesboro almost ligitimate.

But Alan. I think the precise problem is havign to pay the 40 euro. For example, Bono said most tickets should be about 60 euro. But I would think the vast majority of tickets sold for 60 euro were bought by those who paid another 40 euro for the privelge. So it seems to me that the 40 euro subsidised the 60 euro.

In addition, and a lot of people in America seem to think this judging from other mssage boards, is that what they did made it riduclously easy for touts(or scalpers as it seems to be called in the States) to get hold of tickets...

I was trying to make a very simple point Friday. if they love ireland so much as they profess to, why not play more gigs here. 3 Croke Park gigs, 2 gigs in Cork, 2 gigs in limerick at the very least.
MCD themselves said they could sell a million tickets. So why not, in that case, make more tickets available by putting on moe gigs. In fact, it makes no financial sense to not put on more gigs in light of that comment from MCD. If you have a product, and you know you can sell more of it, then why not make it available.

Like others here i have seen them live in Cork in 93(Zooropa). Boston in 97 and Slane the last time out. I have even been to many tribute bands over the years. And right now, I'd have to say I get more enjoyment out of the tribute band gigs. Theres more fun, and you know that you're not going to be ridden for more cash.

personally, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a premium jacks you can use to take a leak in Corke Park on the day for a euro a go, or else you get to take your chances in the free jacks covered in crap. Nothing would surprise me at this stage as to how they could try and make more money out of me...

Put yourself in Bonos little shoes....

I didn't mind as I was getting 4. So it worked out at about €7-€8 euro extra each and I didn't have the hassle of queueing.

They probably could have done either 4 or 5 gigs here and possibly another 100 in the US. Why do they owe the people of Ireland anymore than they do their US fan base?

As a fan I was most happy with the U2.com arrangement . Have a ticket for Dublin and also a ticket to Rome. No hassle.

A good system, yes extra cost but the way I look at it is that U2 could have charged €100 a ticket and filled each venue and they didn't.

Re: Put yourself in Bonos little shoes....

Anyone know when ticketmaster will be posting out the ones bought online?

u2

why not play more gigs

first rule fo showbiz - always leave them wanting more....

The ticket lines said it would be April when they were posted.

>>Bono's chatty bits between the songs seem to have gotten more scripted and quite frankly patronising. It's as if he believes that everything he says is monumentous and historic.

Well yes, he WAS always like that -- even back in '79. That's one of the reasons they got where they did, pure self belief, even when it was far from justified.

I'm sure U2 pays plenty of tax by the way as they have plenty of income from their commercial ventures which are not covered by the artists exemption...

And it's debatable that U2's Irish fans are what made them. Like most artists of their era (the Boomtown Rats, Sinead O'Connor etc.) The band didn't become "huge" in Ireland until they'd made it abroad. Back then we didn't have the self confidence as a nation to create our own superstars. They were playing little places like the SFX Centre until as late as 1983.

I didn't get tickets either, by the way :-(

Brian Wilson...

Many thanks to that lovely person that gave up their Brian Wilson tickets and thanks Brendan for orchestrating the transaction.

Back