U.tv Broadband "Cancelation Charge"

I have just checked u.tv's web site, I checked the price plans available to Irish customers. I proceeded to request a connection and clicked on the terms and conditions. Point "3"!!!! states that a cancellation charge of 29.99 is required. Point "3" is hardly on page 999 of any document, it is in the same font as the entire document i.e not in small print. I do not think that anyone could or should have a grievence with this. I do not condone a 29.99 cancellation charge but I would support u.tv on this one as they clearly state the charge. Reading the terms and conditions before signing a contract alleviates many problems.

OK - concentrate ... people should read a contractual agreement before signing it. Is that any clearer?

No because I was asking why a company would bury basic charges in small print.

I think it should be included where they advertise the basic costs
[broken link removed]
Its not in these T & C's
[broken link removed]

16.7 In the event that UTV Internet agrees to you cancelling the service after the Minimum Term you must pay all the Charges due for the service as per the Price List and including the cancellation fee.
Its not in the FAQs
[broken link removed]

I found it here
http://u.tv/talk/tariffs.asp?loc=ie

Dunno where you found it. Maybe its more obvious when you are signing up.

I have just checked u.tv's web site, I checked the price plans available to Irish customers. I proceeded to request a connection and clicked on the terms and conditions. Point "3"!!!! states that a cancellation charge of 29.99 is required. Point "3" is hardly on page 999 of any document, it is in the same font as the entire document i.e not in small print. I do not think that anyone could or should have a grievence with this. I do not condone a 29.99 cancellation charge but I would support u.tv on this one as they clearly state the charge. Reading the terms and conditions before signing a contract alleviates many problems.

This was not the case when I signed up in 2003. It wasn't obvious in my contract and it took me ages to find it in the contract I signed. Obviously thats an improvement on my experience. I wasn't aware of the cancellation charge until after I cancelled. This is UTV's way of making sure your slow to cancel, IMHO.

Back