Two litres of milk price increase/Dunnes?

I assume you don't want that question taken literally.
Soya beans are legumes, but that has nothing to do with the status and history of plant milks. Arbitrary protectionist legal positions aside, plant milks are now (also) the most affordable option in supermarkets, despite the taxation burden.

Lidl 1L carton of milk went from 75c to 95c recently thats a very big rise all in one jump.
There was a thread on inflation last year where many people on it were trying to rubbish the arguments that there was even inflation at all, and that the relatively low inflation rates then were just "transitory". How wrong that looks now with food prices really pushing higher in price even at the discount stores

I was in the shops yesterday and own brand butter in Tesco and Aldi is €2.99 from €2.19 in January. Price matching. Tesco was €2.29 I think last week. That is some jump.

Kerrygold butter is even higher. I don’t know if they are adding anything to the butter but it has become very oily now. They must be adding oil either to the butter or to the animal feed. Not nice.

Last edited:
See Dunnes stores own brand 2 litre milk has gone to €1.89 today and its the same in Tesco. It was €1.69.

See Dunnes stores own brand 2 litre milk has gone to €1.89 today and its the same in Tesco. It was €1.69.
In fairness the farmers are finally getting an economic price for milk with average 44c a litre. Up from 32c just a couple of years ago.
Transport is a major cost too. Collection from farm, delivery to dairy, delivery to stores.

I do the shopping every week. I know what I spend but I'd have no idea what milk costs.

I buy an awful lot of milk so would always know the price, I really should just get a cow but then him indoors would say (if I let him) that he has one already :D That's the second price increase of late, 20c per 2 litre x 2 increases.

I do the shopping every week. I know what I spend but I'd have no idea what milk costs.
I can't understand that. I would know the cost of most things that I buy or within a few cents. Maybe it's just something that I notice and file away.

Strangely enough with milk and butter going up you would expect cream to be the same way, Tesco has increased it's price of small bottle of cream to 1.49 but Dunnes is still selling it at €1, I wouldn't pay the 1.49 in Tesco as that's a fierce increase from €1

Dunnes have now increased the 2 litres to €2.09. So since January it has increased from €1.49 to €2.09!!

If anyone is watching the cents I think the 2 litres of low fat milk is 2 x 2 litres for €4.00 in Circle K garages.

When staples like milk and bread are going up at this rate it is hard on everyone but especially families with a lot of children.

Back