Two litres of milk price increase/Dunnes?

I would be surprised if you find any differences across supermarkets except in the short term.

Same commodity product being produced from same creameries.

Dunnes have also increased the price of a 1 litre of milk from 75c to €1.05. A 40% price rise is quite significant.

I noticed that yesterday, it's a substantial increase on the 1 litre. Oddly enough though they still sell cream at €1 for small size bottle, as far as I know all the other supermarkets have increased the price of cream, Tesco certainly has to 1.49 and it only makes sense if milk/butter have increased that cream would too! I bought a few bottles anyway while it's still a euro.

looks like price for milk has gone up on the continent as well. 1lt (in Austria) seems to be minimum €1.29, Germany €1.39 upwards.
(mind, both countries charge 7-10% VAT on groceries)

Substantial increase there as well.

farmers costs have gone up. Milk collection from farms costs have gone up. Processing costs have gone up. Packaging costs have gone up. Delivery costs into shops have gone up. Electricity costs in shops have gone up.

Last edited:
Milk has gone from 75c a litre to €1.05.
Butter has gone from €2.19 a pound to €2.99 a pound.
Bread has gone from 2 loaves for €3.00 to 2 loaves for €3.50.
Pork and Onion has gone from 97c to €1.25.
Cooked packets of ham gone from 2 for €5 to 2 for €6.

These five items alone have increased the cost of our grocery shopping by nearly €500 on an annual basis.

Last edited:
Milk has gone from 75c a litre to €1.05.
Butter has gone from €2.19 a pound to €2.99 a pound.
Bread has gone from 2 loaves for €3.00 to 2 loaves for €3.50.
Pork and Onion has gone from 97c to €1.25.
Cooked packets of ham gone from 2 for €5 to 2 for €6.

These five items alone have increased the cost of our grocery shopping by nearly €500 on an annual basis.
The price of fertiliser has gone up 300% since last July.
The price of animal feed has gone up by over 150% since last July.
The price of flour has gone up over 100% since last July.
The price of fuel has gone up 80% since last July.
Inflation has doubled since last July.

I think a lot of people (not necessarily this poster) think that food just magically appears in packaging on a supermarket shelf made by the food fairies. Nearly all of the inputs of food production have doubled over the past year so naturally the price of the end product has risen.

While butter generally has gone up, there are still spot discounts with own brand and smaller dairies.

Or stock up in Dunnes \ Supervalu with spend and save vouchers.
yes!

Another suggestion is get together with someone else on those spend and save vouchers. I started combining my mother & I's household weekly shop into one big shop a week. She gets loads more vouchers, it brings her up about 30-40 euro to get an extra 10 euro off, and her vouchers in the post have hugely increased. Its actually cut about 20-35 euro a week off our combined weekly shop.

I'm curious. Is there a specific deal for butter on the vouchers ?
No but I have have often bought 25 euro worth of butter and then you get 5 euro off with voucher which reduces the overall price per pound, I freeze it then.

I do this when I have a voucher to use up which is running out of date, also buy milk and freeze.

I'm curious. Is there a specific deal for butter on the vouchers ?
No, it's more if you have identified products that are priced fairly similar in the supermarkets such as dairy - then it makes sense to stock up on them as much as you can with the spend and saves.

She gets loads more vouchers, it brings her up about 30-40 euro to get an extra 10 euro off, and her vouchers in the post have hugely increased. Its actually cut about 20-35 euro a week off our combined weekly shop.

I understand that if you use the €40 voucher you won't get another voucher back which I always consider a waste. If you bring the spend up to €50 with the €40 voucher you will get a €10 voucher back then.

The €25 vouchers are far more popular and I see people splitting their shopping into two €25 spends.

Last edited:
The €25 vouchers are far more popular and I see people splitting their shopping into two €25 spends.
Yes, we use these. Purchasing some clothes in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt even coughed up a €5 off voucher on the till receipt.

I find that I often have spare vouchers. I am not tempted to spend them just because I have them.

I do this all the time. there's always items that I need immediately and then less urgent stuff. I just carry over the less urgent stuff to the next day (Dunnes right beside the office, so no hassle in getting to it) to use up another €25 voucher.

I used to buy beer and wine to get me to the €50. Now it's toilet roll and washing detergent. :(

Back