TV license inspector's aggressive manner

Re: TV License Inspector Approaches in Apartments: Taken aback by aggressive tone

I dont know the area but I did hear that an post contract out this licence collecting in cork to outside agencies. Heres a new one.
all the students in dcu campus have to take out a licence for each apartment. but hotels only need one licence for the whole hotel. seems unfair. I know the students have tellys in their apartments but surely there could be a campus one costing say €1000 covering all the apartments. As it is my son and his pals have to buy one now for the whole year but they are leaving in June. the last 8 months of the licence are effectively waste.

Re: TV License Inspector Approaches in Apartments: Taken aback by aggressive tone

cuchulainn said:
Heres a new one.
all the students in dcu campus have to take out a licence for each apartment. but hotels only need one licence for the whole hotel. seems unfair.
This boards.ie thread seems to cover this issue.
As it is my son and his pals have to buy one now for the whole year but they are leaving in June. the last 8 months of the licence are effectively waste.
No - as the thread above states the license can be transferred to a new address. Anyway, they don't have to get a license. They could always get rid of the TV.

As far as I know An Post post a "statutory declaration form" to the residents of each new dwelling. You are obliged to filll the declaration form and return it after set time.

This sounds absurd. Why do you have to declare that you have / don't have a TV? I'd take that as an infringement on my rights to privacy.

I too believe that it is an infrigement of privacy. In addition, I'd doubt they'd pay any attention to any such declaration.

In the beginning, I used to write to TV licencing to stop them sending me letters. This never worked. Now I just return the unopened envelopes to the sender.

I was thinking of tying a brick to the letter in the hope that they'd have to pay for additional postage costs.

clubman: I know the licence is for 12 months but theres 5 of them. what are they going to do.- toss for it?

No - one of them could take it and compensate the others.

Lauren said:
His aggressive tone scared me and I honestly didn't trust he was who he said he was. I have no way of seeing him (no camera) from my apartment and the only option would be to go downstairs and have a look at him through a glass door!

Am I being too paranoid here? Do other people (especially women in apartment complexes) have the same concern about verifying the identify of such allegedly 'official' visitors?

You are quire right , complain officially in writing.

Safety first, Never answer your door inside the apartment block anyway. Let them knock all they want and ignore it.
If you didnt buzz someone in then they shouldnt be knocking on your door.
If they are on the intercom Tell them you'll ring an post next day and make an appointment but you are letting no stranger in.
IDs can be faked, so look the number up in the book yourself. If you ring the number the caller gives you you might just be calling their partner in crime.

Hi

I find it very hard to believe that was a real TV license inspector. I moved into my apartment in April of 2003. The TV license guy called around in May and as soon as I opened the door he made a point of saying he would not be coming into my apartment. He was really nice and asked that I have my license by the beginning of June.

I think you should definitely report your incident.

Two years ago my cousin was alone in her parents house and there was a knock on the door. A man dressed in a boiler suit with a laminated ID badge said he was calling around about the gas. She let him in and he pulled a knife on her and demanded money. He left when she handed over some cash, but she was left really traumatised. She reported it to the gardai and they got the guy a few weeks later - he had done a few similar scams already in the Castleknock area.

As a female, I NEVER open my front door unawares - luckily I have a window by the door so I can "check" my visitors

I paid for my TV license once with my Credit card and without authorisation they took the payment every year thereafter. Last year got rid of the TV and cancelled license.
6 months ago the inspector came to buzzer. Didn't give him my name and didn't let him in. 2 weeks later I got a sales call from NTL. TV inspector had obviously double checked my address with them thus alerting NTL to the fact that I didn't have a subscription. I'm sure they cross reference with Xtravision etc too.
TV license people sent one of those declaration things and I binned it. Haven't heard from them since.
Have heard they are planning on bringing out licenses for laptops now!

I paid for my TV license once with my Credit card and without authorisation they took the payment every year thereafter.
Are you sure that you never signed up to allowing them to do this? If not then that's out of order and you should complain to them in the first instance and, if necessary, [broken link removed] or the [broken link removed] perhaps.
TV inspector had obviously double checked my address with them thus alerting NTL to the fact that I didn't have a subscription. I'm sure they cross reference with Xtravision etc too.
Not obvious at all. Could be purely coincidental. What evidence (other than circumstantial) do you have that they check with cable providers never mind video rental shops in general and in this case specifically?
TV license people sent one of those declaration things and I binned it. Haven't heard from them since.
Have heard they are planning on bringing out licenses for laptops now!
Are you sure about that? I thought that it was being mooted but no actual decision had been made?

I'm pretty sure that if you sign up to pay by DD from either your CC or current account, you consent to An Post taking payment unless youi instruct them to do otherwise (I signed up last year)

I think I paid for the last license by CC over the phone so I presume that this does not mean that I have consented to them drawing payment off the card for subsequent years?

if you buy a tv down the north you have to give your name and address ,even if its a cash sale. they always explain its for licence purposes but still take your southern address.

re laptops if u have a tv card in them I thought that was enough of a requirement to have a tv license

Please stick to questions and answers in this forum.

If people want to debate the value of the TV license or other issues, do so in Letting Off Steam.

Brendan

I think I paid for the last license by CC over the phone so I presume that this does not mean that I have consented to them drawing payment off the card for subsequent years?

We pay ours by CC. We get a notice each year and phone up to pay with CC again..so no they won't automatically take it. It may just apply to Direct debit mandates.

Just to clarify the original post. It WAS an official license inspector, because a few weeks after the contact I received a notification to say that I had 'confirmed I had a tv' which I didn't and they expected me to get a license....

brendan: my point was that the tv authorities have more than one method of obtaining who owns tv sets.

Back