TV license inspector's aggressive manner

Lauren

Firstly sorry if this is a bit long winded..please bear with me..

I've just moved into my new apartment (yaaayyyy!). Last night the door buzzer rang (I'm on the top floor, someone was buzzing from the ground floor)...Thought it was my dad visiting but the guy on the other end introduced himself as from "An Post - TV Licence inspector".

He demanded to know if I was a new resident and what my name was...I was taken aback by his aggressive tone and alarm bells started to ring. Didn't give him my name initially but told him that as I'd only moved in I didn't have a tv. He said "I can't put you down as someone without a TV unless you prove it to me. buzz me in so I can come up".

I said "No" and made some feeble excuses about having a visitor and the place being a mess. He kept insisting on being allowed up until I firmly said "NO". He said "I'll put you down for having a tv since you won't prove it and you have until middle of March to get a license. I'll be back to check then".

I intend getting a tv and a license so theres no problem there. If I do, will he still come back or will he be able to tell I have a license from An Post records? I really don't want him (or anyone else) demanding to enter my apartment again (assuming he was who he said he was).

His aggressive tone scared me and I honestly didn't trust he was who he said he was. I have no way of seeing him (no camera) from my apartment and the only option would be to go downstairs and have a look at him through a glass door!

Am I being too paranoid here? Do other people (especially women in apartment complexes) have the same concern about verifying the identify of such allegedly 'official' visitors?

Re: TV License Inspector Approaches in Apartments

When you go down to buy your TV Licence, you should tell them exactly what happened so you can make a complaint. Have all the details like, date time etc, he might not even be working for them.
I can totally understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't want anyone demanding to get into my home like that.

I think you were right not to allow him in. I live in an apartment by myself and I'm wary of letting 'official' visitors in after a bad incident. It's one of those situations were people think you're being too catious but then if you open the door and something happens people will tell you that you shouldn't have opened the door and let a stranger in. One thing I would recommend is getting a spy hole on your apartment door and you can then allow them into the main building and make sure that they have valid Id before opening your apartment door. Also check if they have a number you can ring to verify their identity. Better to feel a bit paranoid and be safe.

Once you get the licence you'll be on An Post records as having one so he shouldn't turn up at your door again.

Congrats on the new apartment!!

When you buy a TV keep the receipt and then buy the license. That will be proof enough if anybody ever needs it that you are compliant in this matter. And make a complaint in writing about the inspector's manner if he was that rude.

Hi Lauren,

I think you were absolutely right not to let this strange man into your apartment, or to give out your name.
There is no way I would let a stranger come into my home uninvited.

Even if he was genuinely from An Post, he should have been polite, introduced himself properly, and given his ID number, so that you could check his credentials with An Post.

And even if you checked it out, and it was all above-board, he cant insist to enter your home straightaway - maybe you were in the middle of a dinner party or having a bath etc. He should make an appointment for a mutually convenient time.

Hopefully once you buy your TV and license, you wont hear from him again.

Re: TV License Inspector Approaches in Apartments: Taken aback by aggressive tone

Hi Lauren,

You were right, and I sympathise with your predicament. You owe a duty to your neighbours not to let anyone you dont know in.

We had a thread concerning the behaviour and attitude of TVLI's here a few years ago. I think the thread degenerated into a general rant about the TV licence itself. (Hopefully this thread will remain on topic).

I had a similar experience many years ago when I lived in Dublin. The TVLI was agressive and there was a smell of alcohol from his breath. We reported him but never heard any more.

As far as I know An Post post a "statutory declaration form" to the residents of each new dwelling. You are obliged to filll the declaration form and return it after set time. This seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable way dealing with TV Licence Inspections in new developments.

Does any one know if TVLI's can demand your name? Can the Garda Siochana simply present at a private dwelling and demand the name of the person who answers the intercom (it could be a child, OAP, baby sitter, visitor)?

aj

Re: TV License Inspector Approaches in Apartments: Taken aback by aggressive tone

ajapale said:
As far as I know An Post post a "statutory declaration form" to the residents of each new dwelling. You are obliged to filll the declaration form and return it after set time. This seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable way dealing with TV Licence Inspections in new developments.

We never received any such form when we moved in to our house just over 2 years ago.:confused: The TVLI called one satuday morning about 15 months after we moved in, asking to inspect our licence (which we didn't have). He was fairly persistant as he rang the doorbell 2 or 3 times...we were still in bed at the time.

As far as I can remember he did mention something about knowing we had a tv. He was very plesant and asked for my name, which I gave him. He then told me we had two weeks to acquire a licence and he would call back if we didn't get one. I think he gave me some form of receipt to say he'd called.

Lauren

I think you did the right thing not allowing this person in. You just can't be too careful these days. I would also report the incident to An Post immediately. If he was genuine, then he deserves to be reprimanded for his attitude. If he isn't genuine then the Gardai should be notified.

Lauren - I would contact the license people today and establish whether it was one of their people or not.

If it was, then he should get a reminder regarding customer service and the *absolute* right of people within their own house to refuse entry to whoever they want.

If it wasn't then you could post a note to your neighbours warning about bogus license inspectors trying to gain admision.

The whole "prove it to me" thing has to be rubbish since you can't prove you don't have a TV. He can prove you have one if he sees it, but not the other way round.

z

You were most certainly right not to let him in - that sounds very strange indeed.

I think the places where you buy the TV's might send a list of people who buy tv's to An Post (not 100% sure on this) but we bougt our TV from Power City and we got a notice in the door about a week later, it was also a new development of houses too so was probably targeted.

But Power City enter our details on a data base and the name on the TV licence letter was spelt incorrectly just like it was on their system so it seems like there is a bit of a connection.

I'm just speculating here.....

When my parents were building their new house a TV licence form came to the house they were renting in the interim stating that they needed a licence for their TV. It was addresed to the new postal address where they would be living in about six months time.
They had no TV at the rented accomodation.
Anyway they ignored it and another came and eventually an inspector happened to call on one of the days my father was at the site and demaded to see his TV licence.
My father pointed out he had neither a TV, nor a licence, nor at that point even a habitable house at the address to which the corrospondence kept coming.
Th TVLI said well you had better get one as soon as you move in, I'll make a note of your name and address and call back.
He was so set in his routine he was unable to make the leap to the fact that my father was not denying he needed a licence for a TV but that he simply didn't have a TV at the time.
Madness.

A television licence inspector has no right to enter your house under any grounds unless has a warrant, as would a Garda

They also have no way of detecting if you have a TV or not
Why would they bother, almost everyone has

People trying to obtain access to apartment buildings usually use this as most people will just buzz them in
That includes people trying to ransack post boxes, break in, etc

If anyone wants your name or address from a buzzer say no thanks

On a similar vain I have been contacted by my credit card co outside of office hours wanting to know if I wanted payment protection or the likes
But they have asked for personal details to verify it's me
I just politely ask for a number and I will call them back the next day
Each time it has been legit but sooner or later people will start using these techniques for fraudulent activities

Thanks guys. My gut instinct is usually right but just wanted to ensure I wasn't overreacting....

Absolutely not. Please post back and let us know what An Post have to say about it.

I complained to An post before about a really agressive inspector. My mother answered the door and basically he put his foot in the front door and forced his way into the hall. My mother is no wilting violet but she was quite shaken by his agressive behaviour. What if it was an old person? You should complain in writing. If enough people complain, they might get their inspectors to be a little more considerate.

She should have called the Gardaí. That is trespass!

In an apartment situation,you do not answer your buzzer at all.If you have a friend or relation calling they will text or call on their mobile when they are outside.

Nollaig, I'm starting to think that alright..I always know when someone is on the way or visting..Problem was that I was expecting my dad so didn't hesitate...I'll be more careful in future!

Hi Lauren,

You should complain in writing to:
James Brady,
Head of TV Licencing Services,
An Post,
GPO,
Dublin 1

Your letter of complaint should be factual and matter of fact and unemotive.

Make sure your letter actually asks for something ie an apology, a reassurance that TVLI's are trained to the highest possible standards or an explanation as what exactly the procedure is.

You should hold on to all correspondence and resist the urge to conduct the discussion over the phone or by email.

CC the letter to the both the chairman and chief executive of An Post.

Finally you should mention that in the event of an unsatisfactory or tardy response that you have contacted the [broken link removed].

Good Luck!

BiNomial

Lauren said:
He demanded to know if I was a new resident and what my name was...

He said "I can't put you down as someone without a TV unless you prove it to me. buzz me in so I can come up".

I really don't want him (or anyone else) demanding to enter my apartment again (assuming he was who he said he was).

Lauren,

This guy sounds like a con-artist trying to gain entry to the complex to steal etc.

Put your legal hat on here:
1. You do not have to let ANYONE onto your premises, even a Garda without a search warrant. In fact you shouldn't let anyone onto your premises as they could injure themselves and sue you for negligence. Even burglers have sued for breach of 'duty of care' after injuring themselves by falling in a messy house!! Absurd as it sounds, its true.

2. If somebody demands to know what your name was then tell them to f'off or alternatively quiz them for name, ID etc. Write it down if necessary.

3. As for him telling you that you had to prove that you have a TV - no such thing could hold up in court. Innocent until proven guilty. I'd have asked him for proof that I had a TV in the house without his entry.

4. I would have phoned the Gardai as this guy sounds dodgy.

5. If he does call back then speak to him at the door, get his ID card for his name written down, ID number etc. Then when he asks do you have a license tell him that his records should now show that you have a license as everything is computerised.

ajapale said:

This sounds absurd. Why do you have to declare that you have / don't have a TV? I'd take that as an infringement on my rights to privacy. I would have sent that back with a note - "Please indicate to me what your bra size is".

Back