TV licence:how strict they are with issuing fines?

Not sure on this, open to correction, but I was told that what matters is the receiving equipment rather than the TV itself, IYSWIM? So if you don't have a sat dish or a cable hookup or and aeriel of any kind and therefore no capability for watching broadcasts, then you don't need a TV license.

On a similar note, if I don't have a TV and watch streamed programmes on my laptop eg 4OD etc, do I need a TV license?

Jay

story in Irish Times today (p6) confirms this
I don't believe this and would not take the IT's view as authoritative. TVs have a built in tuner and in most cases even without any external antenna you will pick up the local terrestrial broadcasts (e.g. RTE1/2, TV3, TG4 - I think Channel 6 might not be available on terrestrial and only on cable etc.?). In that case you are capable of receiving broadcasts so need a license.

I don't believe this and would not take the IT's view as authoritative. TVs have a built in tuner and in most cases even without any external antenna you will pick up the local terrestrial broadcasts (e.g. RTE1/2, TV3, TG4 - I think Channel 6 might not be available on terrestrial and only on cable etc.?). In that case you are capable of receiving broadcasts so need a license.

Jay said "if I don't have a TV and watch streamed programmes on my laptop "

IT's story says TV licence not required in these circumstances.
What you're talking about Clubman is TV's - which afaik are not laptops

No - s/he said:
Not sure on this, open to correction, but I was told that what matters is the receiving equipment rather than the TV itself, IYSWIM? So if you don't have a sat dish or a cable hookup or and aeriel of any kind and therefore no capability for watching broadcasts, then you don't need a TV license.
Note the mention of "TV". If you have a TV (containing a tuner) and don't have cable, antenna, dish etc. then you still need a license even if you only use the TV for watching DVDs or whatever.

On a similar note, if I don't have a TV and watch streamed programmes on my laptop eg 4OD etc, do I need a TV license?

Jay

This is the bit I was referring to which I see is different from the bit you were referring to.
The ITs story is about laptops and mobile phones on which you pick up programmes.
I would definitely think you'd have to have a tv licence if you had a tv

Just checked the Department of Communications website and Citizens Advice website for the specific details.

You only need a television licence for equipment capable of RECEIVING WIRELESS telgraphic sound and vision. There is NO radio licence in Ireland.

Wireless reception means received without wires.

Your internet connection is not wireless to your house (yet!). As of now you do NOT need a licence for any telegraphic sound and vision via the IP connection route (internet connection).

Your mobile phone signal is wireless, but they have decided not to try to make mobile phone users pay for a licence (there would be total uproar if they tried and they know it, completely unmanageable).

Satellite and TV receivers are designed to receive wireless telegraphic sound and vision and subject to licence.

This means you need a licence for a:

Television Receiver, which can be either internal or external from: a TV or video recorder or computer.

Satellite Receiver, which can be external to a TV, or either internal or external to a computer.

This covers all TV sets, cable boxes, video recorders, satellite boxes (all of these have internal receivers), any computers with internal TV or satellite tuners/receivers.

With that logic I could have a monitor (TV without a tuner) and plug it into a NTL box (which can only receive signals from a coaxial cable. AKA a wire) and then I wont need a TV Licence and da Plank's salary will have to drop by €160. Sounds good to me. :)

Here is the setup in my house: there are three tvs, one in the living room connected to ntl digital, one in my sister's bedroom connected to a seperate ntl digital and my own. There is a cable running from my sister's room to my own that gives me analog channels (the basics e.g. RTE1 &2, Sky One, News, BBC 1 &2, TG4, TV3). However, for the past I dunno two years, I haven't used that cable. Its not even connected to my tv. I use my tv for watching dvds and blu-ray, and playing my video game consoles (I have PS3, 360 and Wii, just to make people jealous). Now, my mum pays the licence, but what legal position would I be in should I be required to pay the licence? What if I moved to my own place. I am thinking of removing the tuner from my tv, leaving only the connections for my consoles. Would that get me out of paying for the licence?

With that logic I could have a monitor (TV without a tuner) and plug it into a NTL box (which can only receive signals from a coaxial cable. AKA a wire) and then I wont need a TV Licence and da Plank's salary will have to drop by €160. Sounds good to me. :)

Nope. Cable boxes are designated as receivers, see my previous post.

Here is the setup in my house: there are three tvs, one in the living room connected to ntl digital, one in my sister's bedroom connected to a seperate ntl digital and my own. There is a cable running from my sister's room to my own that gives me analog channels (the basics e.g. RTE1 &2, Sky One, News, BBC 1 &2, TG4, TV3). However, for the past I dunno two years, I haven't used that cable. Its not even connected to my tv. I use my tv for watching dvds and blu-ray, and playing my video game consoles (I have PS3, 360 and Wii, just to make people jealous). Now, my mum pays the licence, but what legal position would I be in should I be required to pay the licence? What if I moved to my own place. I am thinking of removing the tuner from my tv, leaving only the connections for my consoles. Would that get me out of paying for the licence?

One licence per household regardless of how many licencable devices.

No device capable of receiving a TV signal, then no licence required.

BTW, an aerial is classed as capable of receiving a TV signal even if no devices present to user it.

OK I will be asked to renew my licence soon and was reading that the law on TV licence is STATUTE which is different the LAW. Does any one know the difference? I had no TV Just PC and monitor. I then got a LCD TV for use as my monitor. Even with a powered ariel I could not get RTE or any other station due to building I live in. So I have to pay for a licence yet can not get the signal. Apart from removing turner what can I do? Regards Gar32

Yes you will have to pay for a license as you have a TV that is quite capable of receiving a signal IMO.

Ok the reason I am asking is I have read about a man who did not pay he's TV lience but keep writing to them asking for a bill at 1st. Then saying that this law was passed by the govenement on behave of him jet he has never voted. Not even reistered to vote. He is a man of the land and does not give them the right to repersent him. Therefore this statute (A statute is a formal written enactment of a legislative authority that governs a country,) should not be pushed on him.

I believe he wrote 4 letters in total explaining in great detail he's resoning not to believe in this law. He still has not got a TV lience and has a TV.

Any idea's on this story?

Ok the reason I am asking is I have read about a man who did not pay he's TV lience but keep writing to them asking for a bill at 1st. Then saying that this law was passed by the govenement on behave of him jet he has never voted. Not even reistered to vote. He is a man of the land and does not give them the right to repersent him. Therefore this statute (A statute is a formal written enactment of a legislative authority that governs a country,) should not be pushed on him.

I believe he wrote 4 letters in total explaining in great detail he's resoning not to believe in this law. He still has not got a TV lience and has a TV.

Any idea's on this story?

I would say he really needs to brush up on a few things. First, it doesn't matter if you vote or who you vote for you are obliged to comply with the law of the land. Hey, I didn't vote for the guys who brought in laws on drink driving, does that mean I can run around half cut?

Second, TV licences are covered but the Broadcasting Act. Primary law, i.e. a statute is law.

What if I dont have a television yet I am paying for NTL broadband through my cable connection ?

Plus what if I have paid for NTL tv channels a year in advance, my television breaks down within the first month and I dont buy another one then my tv licence expires and I dont want to buy another ? This whole TV licence thing seems kind of sinister the way they chase you to pay it.

Back