TV licence:how strict they are with issuing fines?

is watching videos on youtube (for example) classed as watching broadcasts from a broadcasting station?

then again, if you have an internet capable pc with which you can watch youtube videos - presumably it would only be a matter of surfing to a site that IS showing streamed broadcasts (like say channel 4's website) - therefore your internet capable pc is indeed a receiving device and subject to tv license laws.

then again, if you have an internet capable pc with which you can watch youtube videos - presumably it would only be a matter of surfing to a site that IS showing streamed broadcasts (like say channel 4's website) - therefore your internet capable pc is indeed a receiving device and subject to tv license laws.
You can actually go one further and pick up TV tuners for your PC, [broken link removed], so the lines between TV and PC are getting blurred more and more.

You can actually go one further and pick up TV tuners for your PC, [broken link removed], so the lines between TV and PC are getting blurred more and more.
Yes thats very true - and likely to continue as technology moves forward - so pc's will likely come 'tv ready' in time.

And if that's the case can you be done for having a coat hanger, which can be used as a tv aerial
The wording of the legislation is slightly archaic and clumsy but most reasonable people will know what the intent is - basically if you have any sort of TV tuning gear that can receive TV broadcasts (terrestrial, cable, satellite) then you need a license. Having a PC and viewing YouTube clips does not require a license if the PC does not also include a TV tuner. And so on. No need to think up wacky situations that match the letter but not the spirit of the law in my opinion folks. Obviously nobody is expecting people to have a TV license for their coat hanger or iron in their blood stream etc...

To go back to the OP, yes they are strict issuing fines. If its the first time its €634 and double that if its a repeat offence.

The fine is for not having the licence. You will have to pay it and still have to get a TV Licence.

Write to An Post TV Licence Section in the GPO requesting a 3 month extension to allow you to get the money to purchase the licence. Never heard of a situation yet where they refused the period of grace requested......................

When I first moved into my house - TV License inspector called around (had no letters before hand) it was a new build with everything else had not thought about it. He was very reasonable got them to post me a Direct Debit and pay about €13 a month.

To go back to the OP, yes they are strict issuing fines. If its the first time its €634 and double that if its a repeat offence.

There is a difference between what the fine is , and how strict they are at enforcing it....

Someone I know who was caught was given 30 days to get a license , and if they did that was the end of it...

What level of fines are actually issued in court ?

How about we try the same as Beverly just don't pay them and then do a deal in court to pay half the bill.

Once sorted get back into the party.

Poor bev skint.

Someone I know who was caught was given 30 days to get a license , and if they did that was the end of it...

I interviewed a postman who did TV inspector when they were backlogged & I was surprised when he said on first call the standard practice was to give a warning to get a licence within a certain time (can't remember if it was 30 days) and after that they issued fines (automatically as they would have the address & could check). I was really surprised as why wouldn't everyone wait for the knock & then go and get the licence.

I moved house a couple of years back and my new house was in a bad state of repair and needed extensive work done on it so before I moved in it was a building site - no windows, doors etc, partition walls removed, site fenced off.
In that time I got about five letters from the tv licence crowd each one more threatening than the last. After the first one I'd phoned and explained that there was no tv on the premises as there was building work going on. They were nice on the phgone but the letters kept coming - culminating in one which said an inspector had called and had noted the hpouse was connected for tv - which it wasn't. In fact at that stage the house wwasn't even connected for electricity. The letter said if I didn't get a licence I'd be fined. I ignored the letter (addressed to "The occupier") and never heard from them again. I reckon they've a standard set of letters they send out before they visit a premises and that in most cases the letters do the trick

The fine is for not having the licence. You will have to pay it and still have to get a TV Licence.

An Post say they took over 10,000 prosecutions in 2005. Prosecution is a last resort after offenders receive two reminders and a visit by an inspector to issue a final warning. Apparently 167 people have been jailed since 2003 for non-payment of the licence fee. (They must love their telly to face jail for it!!)

Broadcasting Bill due next month will make some changes. People caught without a TV licence will have three weeks to buy a licence AND pay a €53 fine, otherwise they will face prosecution. (Presumably this three week period is after the two written warnings and the friendly visit? I'm not clear on this.)

Stories about this in today's press, as Minister announces online payment facility.

Also confirms that licences are not yet required for mobile phones or pcs capable of receiving tv signals, but the Bill makes that possible in the future if/when they represent a threat to revenue levels.

Last edited:
Just to add something here.

My polish friend (I am irish by the way) was caught without one a couple of weeks ago. He let on that he knew nothing about it and was told to get one ASAP. A week later he got a letter saying that if has not one got within the next 28 days, he would have top appear before a court and fined. He got on the week later so all is well.

This topic was on the Last Word this evening. Changes are being brought in with regard to fines which are going to be increased substantially.

Prosecution is a last resort after offenders receive two reminders and a visit by an inspector to issue a final warning

So basically there's never any point getting a license until they catch you & give you warnings to pay.

I wonder if this tactic works every year? Ie: Don't pay in 2008 unless you get a letter from them (which may not happen for months, if at all). Then in 2009 don't pay again until contacted, etc.

Your license is valid for 12 months from date of purchase I assume, so not paying until you get a second letter in the post would save you a bit of cash.

If they fined you immediately more people would pay on time!

Not sure on this, open to correction, but I was told that what matters is the receiving equipment rather than the TV itself, IYSWIM? So if you don't have a sat dish or a cable hookup or and aeriel of any kind and therefore no capability for watching broadcasts, then you don't need a TV license.

On a similar note, if I don't have a TV and watch streamed programmes on my laptop eg 4OD etc, do I need a TV license?

Jay

heard on the news this morning that your exempt from needing a licence if you go down this route

the Jackal, no you cant save cash because once you have a tv licence, if it ends in March, then you dont renew till May, its automatically back dated to March, so you cant gain a couple of months grace.

I think once they have you on the database, then you are stuck. Thats why in new Estates they are so quick to come around.

As MandaC says, once you're in their system you're stuck. You could try applying subsequently with different details for a non-renewal, but the site says they reserve the right to treat as a renewal if they see fit which would back date.

Upc, Sky etc. are obliged to notify them when they connect up a new customer.

Back