TUSLA Survey

cremeegg

TUSLA the child and family agency is surveying all parents of school children at the moment.

Given the recent media reports of their involvement in the McCabe controversy I cannot see how schools consider them a fit organisation to work with.

My own personal experience of Tusla (from wearing my "charity board" hat) is that there are some fine individuals within the organization but that the organisation is dysfunctional, badly led and badly organized and borderline shambolic.

Purple,

I have raised that question with my own kids school and been told that they do not.

Nevertheless, as teachers, as school management, as trustees, and as parents, we all have choices. The suggestions as to what happened in Tusla regarding the McCabe case are as disturbing, if less widespread, so far as is known, than the events uncovered in Tuam.

My own personal experience of Tusla (from wearing my "charity board" hat) is that there are some fine individuals within the organization but that the organisation is dysfunctional, badly led and badly organized and borderline shambolic.
That can be said for our entire health service, education sector and just about every other arm of the State (as well as many private companies and organisations, but they aren't suckling on the public tit).

That can be said for our entire health service, education sector and just about every other arm of the State (as well as many private companies and organisations, but they aren't suckling on the public tit).

True in many cases but there are degrees of incompetence and disfunction and to me, Tusla are one of the worst

True in many cases but there are degrees of incompetence and disfunction and to me, Tusla are one of the worst
I've had dealings with the Mental Health Services in relation to a family member and they are breathtakingly incompetent from a structural to an individual clinical level.
I spoke to a Garda about them and he said that they were utterly useless and there is no support for teenage boys and young men with mental health issues. They see them at 14 or 15 and try to get them help but they just end up seeing them go to prison or committing suicide a few years later. If you think Tusla are the worst there is then you haven't looked.

I do voluntary work .We have several retired Mental Health Services Nurses who help out Individually and collectively The best you will ever get.

I do voluntary work .We have several retired Mental Health Services Nurses who help out Individually and collectively The best you will ever get.
How do you know they are the best you will ever get?
Have you access to an international bench-marking system which establishes that statement as fact or is it your opinion based on their dedication and your personal experience of them? Have you worked in multiple countries with nurses in the same area? Being passionate about your job is not the same thing as being good at it.

I ask because we have a habit in Ireland of thinking people are brilliant because they can do something we can't.
I was at the funeral of a work colleague last week. He has battled cancer and won. He went into hospital for reconstructive surgery, got an infection and died. At the funeral the family thanked the "work class" doctors and Nurses who cared for him. They should have said that if the same people had done their jobs properly he would probably not have gotten an infection and would still be alive. He's dead because those doctors and nurses, as well as the other people working in the hospital, couldn't be bothered to follow procedure. That's why Irish hospitals are rife with MRSA and other infections... and yet we still talk in glowing terms about the people working there. I really don't understand it.

Maybe it is time for less opinions based on emotion and more based on empirical facts.
Opinions and conjecture have no place in the formation of policy and how we judge the quality or value of the delivery of services.

Maybe it is time for less opinions based on emotion and more based on empirical facts.
Opinions and conjecture have no place in the formation of policy and how we judge the quality or value of the delivery of services.

Maybe you should follow your own advice. Presume you have a report to back up your assertion that it was a medical person who killed your friend. Do you know for sure it wasn't a family member or member of the public who came to visit when sick and who like 90% of visitors to hospitals think the signs about about cleaning hands and using the cleaning machines are just there for decoration. So maybe instead of blaming doctors and nurses, we should ban non-patients from visiting apart from one dedicated family member and they are forced to adhere to the standards.

Maybe you should follow your own advice. Presume you have a report to back up your assertion that it was a medical person who killed your friend. Do you know for sure it wasn't a family member or member of the public who came to visit when sick and who like 90% of visitors to hospitals think the signs about about cleaning hands and using the cleaning machines are just there for decoration. So maybe instead of blaming doctors and nurses, we should ban non-patients from visiting apart from one dedicated family member and they are forced to adhere to the standards.
Our hospitals are have a deplorable record for MRSA and other infections. It is up to the hospitals to set and enforce protocols. Shifting the blame onto members of the public is a cop-out. If the patient is vulnerable then the hospital should make sure that only one family member is admitted (or whatever is necessary to at least improve the existing deplorable situation).
I was in the eye and ear hospital many years ago and watched a doctor examine a guy while wearing gloves. During the examination he took notes. He removed his gloves and washed his hands before moving on to me. He examined me, took more notes. I stopped him touching me again after he had held his pen and told him that the pen was causing cross contamination. He got quite angry and asked me if I was a doctor. I said no and asked him if he was a doctor. Even as a 20 year old I was amazed at the bad practice and lack of common sense.
I had an angiogram of my brain done 2 years ago. A Stent was passed into my brain through my femoral artery. People were walking in and out of the room during the procedure. The Stent packaging was opened when I entered the room. I'm no expert but I doubt that's best practice.

In my job I have to receive training on the European Medical Device Directive. The lady who does the training is an auditor for the Irish Medicines Board. She said that doctors have utter contempt for procedures and the more senior they are the more they think the rules don't apply to them. Anyone who works in a food production facility, a clean room or a Lab could easily point out the bad practice which is endemic in Irish hospitals.

I was not going to waste my time replying but I feel I have To.First off I have worked in multiple countries all over the world in Manufacturing engineering I have not seen better Employees than the plant in Ireland'I have reason to visited many of our suppliers in multiple countries Taken on tours of there facilities in return they have visited our plants all over the World The Irish plant is the benchmark the rest follow this is down to the Employees I believe Irish nurses are no different .I work in costings in costings you can see all of the way down to the bottom and right up to the top.This also allowed me to meet lots of people who overestimate there Competence in the engineering world around Ireland some of them though the were Ist class only to find out when margins got tight the market took care of them they were 3rd rate lucky to hold on to there Jobs at half the money others got ran only to find out there real worth was from 40%/ 45% to 50% when the arrived in the real World. .I have being up close to cancer chemotherapy before and after limb sparing surgery carried out In Ireland so successful surgical teams from all over the world came to see the results followed by construct reconstruction surgery followed by stem cell transplant followed by several more bouts of chemotherapy. any one who knows anything about construct reconstruction after chemotherapy knows there are risks of infection because the chemotharapy has weakened there immune system The problem as I understand is lots of people who overestimated there competence got hired to put in best practices in the public sector you cannot blame Nurses they knew it was not going to work but they could do nothing about it.

jjm, let me get this straight; you rate Irish Engineers highly based on your experience and therefore also rate Irish nurses by association? That seems tenuous in the extreme. I am not saying that people here aren't competent but our outcomes are certainly not world class, not in medicine, not in education, not in public sector administration, not in indigenous industry, not in any area I can think of.
I work in manufacturing. By Irish standards we are excellent. In how we service our key customers we are world class (measured by their supplier matrix we are consistently within the top 0.1 of 1% of their suppliers and they employ nearly half a million people globally). That said I don't consider us world class. There are many areas of the business in which we are very weak. As a management team we have a responsibility to the people who work here to get better at what we do and to get better at a faster rate than our competitors are getting better. If the key production staff are not engaged and active in helping to drive the business in the right direction then they are not doing their job and should be replaced. If the management are not seeking that engagement then they are not doing their job and should be replaced. Anyone who seeks to stifle that engagement or obstruct change (say by looking for a pay rise for implementing improvements which don't add to their work load) should certainly by kicked out as they are a cancer within the organisation.
In my experience working in manufacturing for over 25 years some Irish Engineers are excellent and where LEAN is properly implemented if yields excellent results. Where there is a culture of innovation, from both a process and product perspective, we are superb but I've met loads of home grown duds and just as many excellent British, Dutch, American and German Engineers. I mentioned in another thread that the best engineer I ever met was a woman from Mongolia who works in Germany for an American company. She's probably the most impressive person I ever met.

Improvement is everyone's job. If you see a better way of doing things and you don't say anything you are doing a disservice to everyone you work with and, if you are a State employee, then you are doing a disservice to the State.
So, if experienced and well paid nurses think that procedures are inadequate and are putting patients in danger but say nothing because it's "not their job" they are not only bad nurses but bad people and should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:
I was not going to waste my time replying but I feel I have To.First off I have worked in multiple countries all over the world in Manufacturing engineering I have not seen better Employees than the plant in Ireland'I have reason to visited many of our suppliers in multiple countries Taken on tours of there facilities in return they have visited our plants all over the World The Irish plant is the benchmark the rest follow this is down to the Employees I believe Irish nurses are no different .I work in costings in costings you can see all of the way down to the bottom and right up to the top.This also allowed me to meet lots of people who overestimate there Competence in the engineering world around Ireland some of them though the were Ist class only to find out when margins got tight the market took care of them they were 3rd rate lucky to hold on to there Jobs at half the money others got ran only to find out there real worth was from 40%/ 45% to 50% when the arrived in the real World. .I have being up close to cancer chemotherapy before and after limb sparing surgery carried out In Ireland so successful surgical teams from all over the world came to see the results followed by construct reconstruction surgery followed by stem cell transplant followed by several more bouts of chemotherapy. any one who knows anything about construct reconstruction after chemotherapy knows there are risks of infection because the chemotharapy has weakened there immune system The problem as I understand is lots of people who overestimated there competence got hired to put in best practices in the public sector you cannot blame Nurses they knew it was not going to work but they could do nothing about it.
No offence jjm but if you cannot even put together a coherent sentence, with correct use of punctuation, correct spacing, correct use of uppercase and lowercase and correct spelling then it is very hard to give your post any credibility or to put any value on what your opinion is. If you expect to be taken seriously then please take the time to post something that is legible and coherent.

No offence jjm but if you cannot even put together a coherent sentence, with correct use of punctuation, correct spacing, correct use of uppercase and lowercase and correct spelling then it is very hard to give your post any credibility or to put any value on what your opinion is. If you expect to be taken seriously then please take the time to post something that is legible and coherent.
CB, lots of people have trouble with writing and punctuation. It doesn't invalidate their points or opinions or make them less intelligent than someone with good writing skills. I've met many the well spoken fool.

CB, lots of people have trouble with writing and punctuation. It doesn't invalidate their points or opinions or make them less intelligent than someone with good writing skills. I've met many the well spoken fool.
I don't disagree Purple but I don't think the post from jjm is simply a case of not knowing where to put commas and full stops. There is random use of uppercase letters as well. I don't think it is too much to ask someone to read over their posts to see if they could be tidied up a bit.

I live near a general hospital. I dont know how many times I have seen nurses doing grocery shopping on their break in their uniform. I also doctor walking around the stoe with a stethoscope around his neck.
I dont believe that the nurses chnged into new uniforms on return to the hospital

Back