Trees growing over from next door & over sized fence panels

Circa 2015 information - taken from a news article:

There is no legislation in Ireland regulating the height of trees or hedges and there is no right to sunlight or natural light to your garden. Your options are therefore limited.

Section 45 of the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 provides a mechanism for property owners to apply to the courts for a Works Order to carry out boundary related remedial work on adjoining property to prevent adverse effects to their property in situations where a neighbour is unco-operative.

the UK is more ahead in this area...good luck....sounds way worse than Laurels.

Sorted now took 4 hours of cutting, Neighbour told me it was my responsibility and that he wouldn't be cutting them, as for transgressions...….we're talking about someone who knows well, and is too arrogant and lazy to ameliorate the situation. #societyofindividualism

Well done. Legally of course the neighbour is correct, but a decent obliging neighbour would obviously do more to maintain a good relationship. While it's a pain having to do the pruning and clean up yourself, you did the right thing talking to them first. Any other option could see an unobliging neighbour become a true nightmare, and life's too short for that.

Well I guess I can take comfort in the fact my folks who are in their 80's maintained their decent neighbour trait their whole lives - they are no longer able to cut the trees on the path along side their grounds where there is a right of way for other homes - but have the goodness to ensure they get a man in to cut them back to enable people to pass by without getting branches protruding. I hope that when I move I have either No Neighbours or Lovely Neighbours! Thanks for all the input on here.

I did as an interim measure (with green canvas), but it's looking like an encampment....I tried talking to him, but he was too busy frothing at the mouth...

I am tempted to edit to 'parts' - the funny side of me that is - obviously the sensible legal side will quash that thought!

Do you have any Pics Lone Star? Do you think that its possible you did cut back too agressively and go over the boundary line in an avoidable way?

Do you have any Pics Lone Star? Do you think that its possible you did cut back too agressively and go over the boundary line in an avoidable way?
There is a good chance the above happened cutting back a hedge this time of year if you happen to start cutting back agressively you often keep going so hedge looks the same when finished if this happened if possible he should speak ot the other person before he goes away,

How much of his airspace is he suggesting you infringed?

There are 2 points with trimming slightly past the boundary.
1. If you just cut back to the boundary rather than properly back to the joint, the risk of infection is higher
2. If you trim directly along the boundary line, then the plants will be invading your property again within a matter of weeks.

They have already spoken since...
I read that
I would expect both by now have reflective on what they said if loan star did in fact cut beyond his own boundary he may need to acknowledge doing so ,
The old saying the need to Mend there fences come to mind,

I went in a bit to save cutting twice in a couple of weeks as 'Seagull' says it would be a matter of weeks before it would be back in over my side again - we're talking a few inches into his airspace..

Last edited:
Your neighbour is officially a nutter. It's a pretty antisocial act to just leave your shrubs or trees to grow into your neighbour's property and expect them to maintain it. To then complain about it being cut back slightly past the boundary is ridiculous.

ok - it's now getting insane - such a pity as the people before him were so nice and we'd have great ol chats over the fence!

Last edited:
Back