Travel - would you go?

As I mentioned earlier Joe I suspect RT-PCR tests will also feature in the summer tourist season plans of the Med countries.

The Covid outbreak in the French rugby squad originated with a player who had a negative PCR test prior to entering the bubble, so testing alone isn't a solution.

The Covid outbreak in the French rugby squad originated with a player who had a negative PCR test prior to entering the bubble, so testing alone isn't a solution.

I agree.
But negative testing from a country where most adults have had a least one vaccine and herd immunity has been reached for visitors to a Greek island where all locals have also been vaccinated is a different matter and is the current objective of the Greek government intent on saving their summer tourist season.

I agree.
But negative testing from a country where most adults have had a least one vaccine and herd immunity has been reached for visitors to a Greek island where all locals have also been vaccinated is a different matter and is the current objective of the Greek government intent on saving their summer tourist season.

Yeah, it's a numbers game. All about lowering probability to a level chosen as acceptable.

Greece are opening up to U.K. tourists from May 14th. Dunno what the requirements are (UK passport/UK departure/Covid passport?).

Greece are opening up to U.K. tourists from May 14th. Dunno what the requirements are (UK passport/UK departure/Covid passport?).

I agree.
Vaccines won't be the only key to unlock travel this summer.
Family holidays don't happen if only the parents have been vaxxed.
I think it will be a mixture of vaccines and PCR tests on an app with QR code readability.
In the UK the NHS app seems an obvious candidate and the HSE app here could easily be reworked.
That's if preparations are being made now ...

As I mentioned earlier a combination of vaccines and Negative PCR tests - it looks like the Greeks are considering the first vaccine as being sufficient.
Corfu here we come.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9344431/Greece-gives-green-light-tourists-14.html

What does that mean for irish tourists though travelling from for example the UK? also will Ireland open up to UK travel aswell since they will largely be vaccinated, last year was very easy for irish government, just stop everything, now they have some very tricky decisions to make. It would look really bad if UK travellers were free to enter the country but irish travellers would have to present a negative PCR test.

What does that mean for irish tourists though travelling from for example the UK? also will Ireland open up to UK travel aswell since they will largely be vaccinated, last year was very easy for irish government, just stop everything, now they have some very tricky decisions to make. It would look really bad if UK travellers were free to enter the country but irish travellers would have to present a negative PCR test.

As bad as now where Irish travellers are free to enter the UK without a negative PCR Test but on their return from that country which has vaccinated a third of its adult population and has a lower rate of infection than here still require a Negative PCR Test to enter and even then must self-isolate for two weeks.
But you're fine coming down over the border ...

@Wahaay but in fairness to the government they only introduced that after the UK variant was announced by boris at Christmas, the irish government was actually very reluctant to introduce restrictions with the UK. The UK variant was also the reason for the huge Christmas upsurge (however I don't understand why we need label it the UK variant when labeling the "China virus " was regarded as racist) But I think this new situation needs different heads, I think that Tony holohan off the scene again is a good thing, (albeit for tragic personal reasons), I think ronan glynn would be a better guy in charge as we open up again.

@Wahaay but in fairness to the government they only introduced that after the UK variant was announced by boris at Christmas, the irish government was actually very reluctant to introduce restrictions with the UK. The UK variant was also the reason for the huge Christmas upsurge (however I don't understand why we need label it the UK variant when labeling the "China virus " was regarded as racist) But I think this new situation needs different heads, I think that Tony holohan off the scene again is a good thing, (albeit for tragic personal reasons), I think ronan glynn would be a better guy in charge as we open up again.

I agree.
But that was then and this is now and it merely characterises the inability of this government to react quickly to changing events.
Or even slowly.
I presume it is still refusing to share information on its passenger locator forms with its NI counterparts.

Interesting piece by George Lee last night.
About one third of NI residents have received their first jab, but the 7-day and 14-day incidence rates are only marginally better than the Republic.

Interesting piece by George Lee last night.
About one third of NI residents have received their first jab, but the 7-day and 14-day incidence rates are only marginally better than the Republic.
At this moment I'd be delighted if one third of ROI people had had their first jab.

At this moment I'd be delighted if one third of ROI people had had their first jab.

I don’t doubt I didn’t explain it as well as George, but I think what he’s getting at is the Covid transmission rates in NI and ROI are very similar despite such a higher first jab rate in NI.

You would imagine that the transmission rates in NI should be much better than the Republic all the time considering there is only 6 counties.
For a long time they were much worse than us ..

You would imagine that the transmission rates in NI should be much better than the Republic all the time considering there is only 6 counties.
For a long time they were much worse than us ..
I heard some say that opening up one part of a country because it has low infection rates while there are high rates in the rest of the country is like having one end of a swimming pool that you are allowed to pee in.

Well the reason why transmission rates are now similar is that they were starting from a much higher level than us but now they will be going alot lower due to the success of their vaccination program. We spent all last year dissing them for their poor response to corona virus, we should at least give some credit for the success they are having now.
What will happen as they open up and we stay shut, all the young will be travelling to north and UK for holidays. I can't believe nobody in government or media is talking about this. The lockdown here will be effectively over

We spent all last year dissing them for their poor response to corona virus, we should at least give some credit for the success they are having now.

But what part of the improvement in NI is down to local action and not just a benefit of the UK vaccination program? The only credit here is being part of the union, not actually doing anything.

Further grim news this morning. A high profile Irish hotelier saying that based on current soundings he doesn’t believe he’ll be permitted to reopen until July.

I wonder will that happen.

The Greek figures have been on an upward trajectory since February.

The reported new cases and new deaths figures for the year up to March 12 show daily averages of:

New CasesDaily AverageNew DeathsDaily Average
Jan
18107​
584​
958​
31​
Feb
34143​
1219​
708​
25​
Mar
25918​
2160​
482​
40​

Last edited:
I wonder will that happen.

The Greek figures have been on an upward trajectory since February.

The reported new cases and new deaths figures for the year up to March 12 show daily averages of:

New CasesDaily AverageNew DeathsDaily Average
Jan
18107​
584​
958​
31​
Feb
34143​
1219​
708​
25​
Mar
25918​
2160​
482​
40​

Greece is targetting its main tourist islands with its vaccine programme because tourism is such a massive component of its economy.
And because they're islands it's much easier for them to control the spread.
Airports and ferry terminals are much easier to control arrivals with testing than say the Peleponnese.
Elswhere Cyprus and the Seychelles are also good examples - vaccinate the entire local population and rigidly control tourist arrivals.
I may be wrong but I have a very good feeling about the two Med holidays we now have booked for this summer even though it might involve a big of jiggery-pokery to get around Ireland's doomed attempts to surround this part of the island in barbed wire and watchtowers.

Back