Travel - would you go?

And that link discredits your earlier statement!
I read it differently - that link states basically that several studies found an impact but also that there are further variables. Certainity is low but findings were homogenous

I read it differently - that link states basically that several studies found an impact but also that there are further variables. Certainity is low but findings were homogenous

They noted bias in a number of them and concluded:

The certainty of evidence was graded as low for both outcomes evaluated.

The Eu looking at vaccine passports but can't really see that being a runner seen as only the old and vulnerable are likely to be vaccinated by summer. The main holidaying and spending population will still not be vaccinated, therefore I see Spain and Greece opening up to European countries at the same stage of vaccination but without need for vaccine passport. You can't impose a vaccine passport when who gets vaccinated is not an individual choice. The tourist industry needs to be opened by summer

Newest Holiday packages - one does three weeks of holidays in Russia and gets two vaccination shots - or you go to Russia, get a shot, go to Turkey for the beach, return to Russia for the second shot and then back home.

Google Translate to be used for the non German speakers
Details about the packages are on https://meine-impfreise.com/

In another article I read about a holiday package in the UAE where one could get the SinoVac shot. Not my cup of tea...

I am already considering myself to get vaccinated abroad in the summer (but not part of any holiday package).

Last edited:
Just an update as far as tourism in Spain is concerned. Senor Sanchez (Prime Minister) in a press interview about a month ago informed readers that Spain may not open to any incoming foreign tourism before December 2021. The tourism minister of Spain moved quickly and said she hoped tourism would be restored in August 2021. I think somewhere in between may be closer to the truth.

On the Ground Information:- The occupants of the coastal tourism areas fear influx from Madrid (where Covid was rampant) and other big Spanish cities more than they fear inflow of foreign tourism.

They noted bias in a number of them and concluded:
The latest research seems to proof here a connection between infection rate and temperature

The researchers compared daily low temperature data and logged cases of COVID-19 in 50 countries in the Northern Hemisphere between Jan. 22 and April 6, 2020. Their research, published this week in PLOS ONE, showed that as temperatures rose, the rate of new cases of COVID-19 decreased.

The data analysis showed that between 30 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a 1-degree Fahrenheit increase in daily low temperature was associated with a 1% decrease in the rate of increase in COVID-19 cases, and a 1-degree decrease in temperature was associated with an increase in that rate by 3.7%. By analyzing data from early in the pandemic, the results were obtained without significant influence by lockdowns, masking or other social efforts to contain the virus."

Not really surprising that Covid behaves similar to other seasonal respiratory viruses.

The latest research seems to proof here a connection between infection rate and temperature

Why use a study based solely on data from the northern hemisphere from January to April 2020 to support your assertion that cases will drop in the summer?

They conveniently chose a period before Covid became widespread, before far more contagious strains developed and stopped before spring was over? Their attempt to explain away the massive surge in the US as temperatures rose, 'well, it might have been worse if it was warmer'!

There hasn't been a lot of study on the driving mechanisms of the seasonal nature of the annual flu season, but it's believed that human behaviours are likely a far more significant factor than temperature. That's suggested as the reason that the season really gets underway after kids return to school and peaks are usually associated with Christmas holiday period regardless of temperature.

There's a reason why Ryanair has introduced 8 new routes to mainly Southern Europe from June from Belfast for the first time in more than a decade.
It's going to be very difficult for the Irish authorities to prevent people here using that route - particularly if certain countries are willing to accept a negative RT-PCR test as I suspect they might if the infection rare in the UK continues to plummet.
Fit-to-fly tests with a 24-hour turnaround costing £80 are being offered at all the main airports.
BA are offering them for half that price.

I heard this morning on the radio that most countries will have their own “vaccine passport” requirements.
So no seamless travel like a normal passport.

A “vaccine passport” discriminates against people who have had Covid and have antibodies.
A “Covid Clean” passport would be fairer.

I heard this morning on the radio that most countries will have their own “vaccine passport” requirements.
So no seamless travel like a normal passport.

A “vaccine passport” discriminates against people who have had Covid and have antibodies.
A “Covid Clean” passport would be fairer.

I agree.
Vaccines won't be the only key to unlock travel this summer.
Family holidays don't happen if only the parents have been vaxxed.
I think it will be a mixture of vaccines and PCR tests on an app with QR code readability.
In the UK the NHS app seems an obvious candidate and the HSE app here could easily be reworked.
That's if preparations are being made now ...

Have they sorted out the battery issue with the HSE Covid app?
Something like 500,000 people deleted the app because of it.

The Greek Tourism minister has said the country will open up this summer for either people with a vaccine or
if not a negative PCR test result.
I would imagine the Spanish islands to be similar.
I fail to see how Ireland can stop people having a summer holiday abroad.

Alas, by summertime a two week holiday in Greece will be followed by a two week mandatory quarantine in CitiWest.

@Wahaay and this is the first statement, i imagine alot more softening of barriers coming upto holiday time. However big problems for the government here if indeed vaccinations become the gateway to the sun, only the over 60s will be vaccinated by then. Is it tenable just to allow the older age group to travel but not the younger age group? Afterall vaccinations are not an individual choice but a government controlled one. Also this will be the same all over Europe, Ibiza be full of old age pensioners rather than young clubbers :rolleyes: !!

@Wahaay and this is the first statement, i imagine alot more softening of barriers coming upto holiday time. However big problems for the government here if indeed vaccinations become the gateway to the sun, only the over 60s will be vaccinated by then. Is it tenable just to allow the older age group to travel but not the younger age group? Afterall vaccinations are not an individual choice but a government controlled one. Also this will be the same all over Europe, Ibiza be full of old age pensioners rather than young clubbers :rolleyes: !!

As I mentioned earlier Joe I suspect RT-PCR tests will also feature in the summer tourist season plans of the Med countries.
£80 for a Fit to Fly Test at a walk-in centre at Gatwick with results guaranteed within 24 hours.
I suspect young Irish clubbers will factor in a couple of days on the sauce in London before heading off to the flesh-pots.

Yes but the PCR test is still a barrier to travel vis a vis the vaccine, so you are imposing hurdles on one group of people but not on the other. The only way that this divergence can be bridged is by allowing quick antigen testing for pan European travel , this way unvaccinated younger travellers are not "discriminated" against excessively. It cannot be forgotten that the order of vaccination is government controlled. Why should younger travellers have to get potentially 2 PCR test at a minimum cost of 180euros, while older vaccinated people are free of this. If the EU are not thinking of this it will be another shambles

Yes but the PCR test is still a barrier to travel vis a vis the vaccine, so you are imposing hurdles on one group of people but not on the other. The only way that this divergence can be bridged is by allowing quick antigen testing for pan European travel , this way unvaccinated younger travellers are not "discriminated" against excessively. It cannot be forgotten that the order of vaccination is government controlled. Why should younger travellers have to get potentially 2 PCR test at a minimum cost of 180euros, while older vaccinated people are free of this. If the EU are not thinking of this it will be another shambles

I still think much will change in the next 2-3 months as the vaccine roll-out, even in Ireland, kicks in and the virus recedes as it did last summer.
We managed a couple of weeks in Greece last September with no more than a forehead temperature check.

Have they sorted out the battery issue with the HSE Covid app?
Something like 500,000 people deleted the app because of it.

Yeah it was sorted within a day or so. There was a workaround at the time but it's been updated - no battery issues now

Back