Tourist giving birth in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatima001

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask what happens of a tourist couple gives birth in Ireland. Does the government of Ireland grant such babies Irish passport and citizenship?
It would be a great help if anyone guides or inform me about the laws... thanks a lot.

No, not since 2004. Children born in Ireland are only entitled to automatic citizenship if at least one of their parents is a citizen or is entitled to be.

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask what happens of a tourist couple gives birth in Ireland. Does the government of Ireland grant such babies Irish passport and citizenship?
It would be a great help if anyone guides or inform me about the laws... thanks a lot.
Hello everyone,
No, not since 2004. Children born in Ireland are only entitled to automatic citizenship if at least one of their parents is a citizen or is entitled to be.
Well how are we supposed to get Irish citizenship because I am an Indian women and my husband is Pakistani we cannot give birth in our homeland because of indo-pak disputes and we dont want our child to have Indian or Pakistani citizenship because I cannot move to Pakistan and my husband cannot come to India because of the law... so we want to choose a third country and live in a peaceful country as family together with one citizenship.

This right to a passport was removed in 2004 partly due to the risk of mother's arriving to hospitals in labour without any medical support or history endangering mother and child.
I guess the answer is to move to somewhere you have a right of residence and work towards citizenship ?

Well how are we supposed to get Irish citizenship

Same as any other non-Irish or EU national, you would need to go through that naturalisation process. That would require you living here for more than 5 years during which time you and your husband would need to be providing for the needs of your family. Depending on your qualifications, you or your husband might qualify for a critical skills visa which would simplify the process if you can find an employer willing to do their part to facilitate.

This right to a passport was removed in 2004 partly due to the risk of mother's arriving to hospitals in labour without any medical support or history endangering mother and child.
I guess the answer is to move to somewhere you have a right of residence and work towards citizenship ?

The biggest reason for the referendum was because of exactly what the OP has titled was thinking of doing.

As Leo has said, there are processes that you can go through. The Irish economy are crying out for workers at the moment. Details on the process can be found here

Well how are we supposed to get Irish citizenship because I am an Indian women and my husband is Pakistani we cannot give birth in our homeland because of indo-pak disputes and we dont want our child to have Indian or Pakistani citizenship because I cannot move to Pakistan and my husband cannot come to India because of the law... so we want to choose a third country and live in a peaceful country as family together with one citizenship.

You need to do a lot more research on this. In addition to what other posters have said here, you should be aware that it is unlikely that you will be allowed to board a plane to Europe in the late stages of pregnancy unless you can show that you have sufficient funds to cover all medical costs.

Thank you everyone for the information. Yes ofcourse we will gather sufficient funds for medical care. We just want to find a right (peaceful) country which gives nationality easily and is safe to stay in future.

...because I cannot move to Pakistan and my husband cannot come to India because of the law...
not to be unecessarily inquisitive, but a fair degree of proximity is needed to achieve pregnancy? :)

In any event, if you are educated / qualified / skilled, there is a high demand here; go through the proper channels and you have every chance of getting what you want.

Yes we are searching for job as well, and so I also wanted to ask that Is annual salary of 27,000 euro worth for moving to Ireland?

Not exactly.

Before the referendum, a CHILD born in Ireland was entitled to Irish citizenship in their own right without reference to the citizenship, residence or any other matter relating to the parents.

After the referendum and McDowells law a child can obtain Irish citizenship if the THE PARENTS fulfil certain conditions.

One of which may be of interest to the OP

A person born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is automatically an Irish citizen if he or she is not entitled to the citizenship of any other country. Section 6(3) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts 2004.

Irish people living in other countries illegally are "undocumented".
People living here illegally are "illegal immigrants" (especially if they have dark skin).
We are excellent at hypocrisy.

Irish people living in other countries illegally are "undocumented".
People living here illegally are "illegal immigrants" (especially if they have dark skin).
We are excellent at hypocrisy.

We naturally favour our own (rightfully so).
Both groups are illegal and should be deported. Dogooders and fools stopping this will become a costly liability to the state when the population of Africa goes from 1 to 4 billion in this century.

We naturally favour our own (rightfully so).
When you say "our own" do you mean all Irish citizens, regardless of their country of birth, everyone born here regardless of citizenship or just citizens born here to Irish citizens?

when the population of Africa goes from 1 to 4 billion in this century.
Where'd you get that from?
The forecasts I've read say that it will increase in Africa by 1.3 billion by 2050 but the total global population will stabilise by 2100 and may start to decline (from a peak of around 9 billion).

When you say "our own" do you mean all Irish citizens, regardless of their country of birth, everyone born here regardless of citizenship or just citizens born here to Irish citizens?

From an Irish states perspective the answer would be all Irish citizens. Personally I and most people know exactly who our own are without the need to reference a bit of paper.

Where'd you get that from?
The forecasts I've read say that it will increase in Africa by 1.3 billion by 2050 but the total global population will stabilise by 2100 and may start to decline (from a peak of around 9 billion).

Can't post a link because of my post count but google:

population-growth-africans-will-be-a-third-of-all-people-on-earth-by-2100

Or "the world's most important graph" by Steve Sailer.

Of course the problem is 4 billion probably won't live/stay in Africa. Migratory pressure will build up immensely over the coming decades and countries like Ireland will have existential decisions to make.

Not the first or last time this question has popped up...
"The poor old Duke of Wellington! what shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse."
- Daniel O'Connell, in a speech (16 October 1843)

Currently, the law tallies with that, being born in Ireland does not necessarily make you Irish.
And I should not dare to disagree with both O'Connell and Wellington on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back