Took details of Litter Bug: Who do I give details to?

dodo

I this morning was so disgusted that the driver in front of me thought it was ok to throw out his cigarette butt that I decided to take down his details, who do I give the details to ?

Re: Took details of Litter Bug

From litter.ie:

Litter Freephone

Further Information:
Dublin City Council 01 4114300
Description:
Members of the public have been urged "to blow the whistle" on litter offenders through a new freephone line which has been set up to alert wardens. It is aims at reporting indiscriminate littering, abandoned vehicles and graffitti.

What's to stop this being abused?
Surely then can't hand out fines based on just the word of the OP?

I'm not saying circle made this up but sure people could memorize their neighbours car reg and start a vendetta against them.

Description:
Members of the public have been urged "to blow the whistle" on litter offenders through a new freephone line which has been set up to alert wardens. It is aims at reporting indiscriminate littering, abandoned vehicles and graffitti.

I blew the whistle on a guy who was running a business from his house illegally.
I was told I had to prove he was running the business from that address.
I sent the council flyers, details of his web site, news paper adverts, his phone book listings.
The only thing I didn't do was drag the man in himself to confess.
He's still running the business from his house, in the year and a half since I sent them a letter only 1 inspector has called to his premises.

My experiences with councils colours my view of these new 'initatives'.

A great idea but the various councils do damn all when it comes to the crunch, they just don't have the staff.

I reported a guy I saw littering / dumping illegally to the litter warden. It went to court and he got fined by the judge despite the fact that he denied doing it. So it is definitely worth reporting these things and having the warden chase them up.

I this morning was so disgusted that the driver in front of me thought it was ok to throw out his cigarette butt that I decided to take down his details, who do I give the details to ?

Have you really nothing better to do?

You weren't a back seat passenger by any chance?

System is needed but not in the form it is.

Driving a few weeks ago and the guy in front threw something out his window (wrapper maybe). Pulled into the supermarket car park and a lady pulls up beside to give out to me for littering - she was behind my car and presumably thought I threw it.

Given the system that is in place, if she reported me I would probably get fined

Joe Duffy

Maybe the wind grabbed it out of his hand as he was trying to get the last drag off it and he didnt throw it out at all?

Dont you think there are more important issues you could invest time in instead of reporting 1 fag butt being thrown out of a car window?

About 5 years ago a friend received a summons to court for allegedly throwing a butt from a car window whilst in Bray. It wasn't her (but may have been her husband). The case was thrown out as she could show she wasn't in Bray on the day

Maybe the wind grabbed it out of his hand as he was trying to get the last drag off it and he didnt throw it out at all?

Dont you think there are more important issues you could invest time in instead of reporting 1 fag butt being thrown out of a car window?

Maybe if more people took an interest in, and action on issues of importance to them like dodo is doing, we could collectively improve our country.

But like so many issues in this country, too many people take the attitude that they're far too important and busy to worry about minor things like this and would prefer to let someone else take responsibility and do the work.

It doesn't matter if the litter bug mentioned in the original post doesn't get fined or prosecuted as a result of dodo's call. If he gets a call or letter from the authorities as a result of which he has to justify or deny his actions, he might just think twice about being such a lazy slob the next time. Cars have ashtrays. It's not exactly hard for someone to pop the ashtray out their car every so often and empty the contents into a bin.

Funny that people think reporting littering is minor yet if a sales assistant is rude they think nothing of writing a letter to the management or creating a stink over a price being marked wrong. No harm in reporting someone for doing something thats against the law at least there is no grey area, they did throw the litter and it is an offence.

Funny that people think reporting littering is minor yet if a sales assistant is rude they think nothing of writing a letter to the management or creating a stink over a price being marked wrong. No harm in reporting someone for doing something thats against the law at least there is no grey area, they did throw the litter and it is an offence.

Writing a letter to management or creating a stink is (a) something that happens to you directly and (b) not likely to result in management going to court.

While I agree that littering is an offence and not nice for people to do it, somewhere inside me I just feel for something so minor that its rather petty for someone to be reporting it. Id rather not live in a society where I think people are watching and reporting my every move, if a piece of lint falls out of my pocket am I to be taken to court for it?

Actually, I think its that I dislike the element of busy-bodyness more so than I dislike the action of an individual cigarette butt being thrown out of a window.

Thats just my own opinion, MrMan you are correct there is no grey area, littering is littering etc.....but I think the average person would be inclined not to even notice something like this, let alone be reporting it to the authorities.

Back