Took details of Litter Bug: Who do I give details to?

At that stage you should have complained about the lack of PP and had enforcement action taken against him.

I assume this is for me.

I used to believe there are people in the council who go out and try to uphold the law regarding planning permission.

I now know this is not correct what happens is they want YOU to get the proof for them.

They will send a letter to the offender and warn them then after about 2 months they will send someone out, this is what they told me.

The reality is they send a letter out then if the offender has a good excuse eg he doesn't do it for money (in spite of the thousands he spends on advertising), then the inspector doesn't go out and visit the premises but they tell you that he does (at least that is what happened in my case).

I know this because I got talking to the enforcement inspector who told me he had not called to the premises to inspect what was going on.

So I had to go out and get more evidence of what was going on I left leaflets with the characters name and address and what he was doing, I left details of his web sites and details of how to find him in the phone book in the business section.

You know what I was told then, I had to go out and find one of his customers and get them to sign a sworn affidavit.

You can understand why DLRCC has a dismal record on enforcement issues.

I called in one day to report a listed building had its old sash windows removed illegally and uPVC installed I was told to bring them proof and they would act.

As an aside from the fag butts, what is the story with all the black bags and green plastic bags that just magically appear on the roadside. Was driving up a particular stretch in Clondalkin and every 100metres or so was a bag of rubbish, neatly tied at the top. Some were black bags and some appeared to be the free bags you get off the bogus charity collectors. It is an ongoing problem and I have seen it more than once. I would love to see someone depositing their bag.

Was behind a convertible car in Naas when one woman just threw her cigarette on the ground. Beside her on the second lane was a garda jeep waiting to turn right. Ban Garda gets out and woman told to pull in. Dont know what happened after that.

Would this also include mooners? Or should they just get a slap on the wrist (because they recover the butt)?

If you were a motorcyclist following behind this inconsiderate person you could get their butt in your face with possible fatal consequences.

There should be zero tolerance on butt throwers. They are the scourge of Ireland.
This is the post to which I was alluding.

I recall that one judge had a policy of dismissing all littering prosecutions for cigarette butts unless the butt was produced in court. I doubt if there is much that dodo can do in this case. I'd guess that the polite personal confrontation may well be most effective in preventing this in the long term, i.e. make it socially unacceptable.

My brother used to hop out of his car if he saw a dumped fag end and toss it back in through the open window. Quite effective, but probably bound to end in violence at some stage when he picks the wrong person.

My brother used to hop out of his car if he saw a dumped fag end and toss it back in through the open window. Quite effective, but probably bound to end in violence at some stage when he picks the wrong person.

I have been so tempted to do this :D

Or to follow the offenders home and dump all my litter in their garden.

Basically, most smokers are litterbugs. One even refused to pick up and deposit it in a bin which was less than 2 feet away.

Back