Timber Framed Houses

Hi,

How long do you think it will take the timber frame to be fully finished? Just about to start house with CH as well but we are going to go down the direct labour route as contrators as so expensive.

Regards
Me and the wife built a timber frame house by direct labour. It took a year and a half from digging out the foundations to moving in. That was 7 years ago and it is still not (fully) finished!

August, just finishing TF build myself, I felt it important to make the builder buy the kit I spec'd. This way, there is no ambiguity over any potential issues with one crowd pointing the finger at the other, and both wanting to charge you, to fix.

I had an issue in mine, and the builder had to fix it at his cost as the TF supply was part of his contract. Sure he got his % for doing so.........but there again, he had to do the fixing...........

Galway at this stage you probaly know Im a bit green when it comes to all this!! I did not realise that you could get the builder to buy the kit etc. Can you tell him who you want him to go to or is it up to the builder? Do you mind me asking how much did your in total cost exc. kitchen, bathrooms etc?

This will be an interesting reply ;)

Ha, Nutty - is You Know Who -watching ?............shhhhhhh

TBH - I got 3 quotes. One of them, was, and my architect agreed - just too cheap to be true. Did not inspire confidence.....that and pics from a site visit put me off.

Which left 2. I from down here, 1 from "Norn Iron". I actually ordered from 'down here', on the proviso that a del date be met - some 10 weeks awary iirc..........however, 4 weeks into the programme, I was advised that they'd be late, and that nothing could be done. Faced with a planning deadline, I had no option but to cancel, and proceed with the 'Norn Iron' guys who, in fairness did deliver on time. There were some problems with on-site work, which, as I mention, my builder had to fix, and which the TF company should have stepped up for. But either way, I wasn't paying to fix, and I didn't.

......and here's where it gets all very interesting..........in the midst of this process, an opportunity came up to change careers and work with a company in the industry..........and that's where I am now. :)

I Shall Say No More For Fear of Incurring the Wrath of XXXXX - isn't that right, nutty nut? ;)

Mickeyg - naturally, therefore, my answer would be 'biased'.........

August - you can specify anything you like, and I would strongly advise that you specify as much as possible if you have specific requirements. Otherwise the 'extras' bill goes AWOL - and you'd be shocked at what some builders consider 'extras'. In fact, I'd recommend you use a QS to generate your spec, and use that for getting your quotes. That way you'll be comparing like quote with like quote, when you get them.......

A company that does these in Dublin is Log Art Ltd - check the internet for contact details.

An important part of this is to make sure that whereever you source from, they have some sort of environmental policy to speak of - check that for the trees they cut down for your house, other trees are planted in their stead. This is the only (simple) way of ensuring that, in the hopeful event that these beautiful houses take off, they know that people also want them to not be detrimental to the environment.

Galway,

How much did it end up costing in the end? WOuld my engineer be able to do up a spec or would it be better to have a QS do it?

my (conventional) TF will have cost Eu1518 per sq m when finished. two-storey + convertible attic over basement.

Includes everything, including Tarmac.

I say this now, having received 11k+ worth of water damaged doors today.........not a good day........

We also went down the TF route, we did a lot of the house ourselves so in reality we don;t give a true picture. It was delivered and erected in the 3 days.
I also shopped around probably getting up to 10 quotes, I then sourced as many people who got the TF companies to give them their kits, it was down between 2, Riverview and Clarkes,
I visted 2 builds, 1 using each of the above and was convinced to go with Clarkes due to their superior timbers been used, also at the time RV were not offering us a solid stairs.
Also at the time I had a mate who worked for Clarkes so it meant I could badger them more!! ;)

Galway,

How much did it end up costing in the end? WOuld my engineer be able to do up a spec or would it be better to have a QS do it?

Sorry, yes, get your architect/engineer to come up with a spec, and incorporate your own requirements. When that's done, get a QS to do his magic on it. Use the QS info for the builders quotes, along with your arch/eng spec.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Galway & Yop. I was hoping to get a 2681 dormer built for €250K, am I way out?

Thats a nasty bill Galway. Will you have to pay this??
[/FONT]

It can be done. depends on the spec of the interior, your site cost, direct labour or not etc.

Yop,

The 250k would exclude site cost and interior finish. Also I dont know much about building so a self build would be out of the question. Do you think 250 would cover a 2681sf house include UFH, good insulation, footpaths and a small driveway?

What are you excluding in the finish of the interior?

A bit of "piece of string" to be totally honest.

You are looking at 93 euro per sq ft, builders from what I gather here is that at a min builders are charging 100 euro per sq ft and then up to 130 sq ft.

But it all depends on different factors. I suppose for your Geo and UFH you are probably looking circa 30k going by what people are saying here.

Insulation - Ummm, dont know between walls and floors in or about 6k.

After that, windows 10k, roof 20k, blocks 11k, plastering 15k, tarmac 10k, guttering/facia 4k, septic tank 2k, groundworks 10k!

All ball park and based on reading other peoples threads and that!!

So you can see how quick u start to pile on the 10k figures!!!

Best bet is to give your plans to a few builders and get your prices in!!

Sorry now I cud not be more help

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Galway & Yop. I was hoping to get a 2681 dormer built for €250K, am I way out?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thats a nasty bill Galway. Will you have to pay this??[/FONT]

You could get a builders' finish for that, I'd say. Also, it's a 'buyers' market right now for employing builders, so you can bargain very hard and get what you want right now.........

Re: my doors, rep came round to see, and admits they're unusable......tbh, he, like me, was very depressed over the whole thing.........he's re-ordering the entire amount from Germany, so off we go again. BTW, it was the transport co's fault, not the co who sold them, so he's going to claim on their insurance afaik...........I know I would.......

A company that does these in Dublin is Log Art Ltd - check the internet for contact details.

An important part of this is to make sure that whereever you source from, they have some sort of environmental policy to speak of - check that for the trees they cut down for your house, other trees are planted in their stead. This is the only (simple) way of ensuring that, in the hopeful event that these beautiful houses take off, they know that people also want them to not be detrimental to the environment.

Has anyone here ever dealt with LogArt ? Any comments ?

Thanks,

M

Once again thanks for the info Galway & Yop. I really cant understand how timber frame can work out to be the same price as block!! I got a quote from cygnum for supply and erect which works out at about 70k. Now I just need to speak to a contractor who can finish the rest.

Back