Timber Framed Houses

Zutz

I am planning to build a new detached two storey home and am seriously considering a timber framed house as opposed to block built structure for there speed of construction, termal & environmental qualities etc. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has built a detached timber framed home and if so what were their impressions? Thks

This is not direct experience, but a neighbour recently put up a timber-framed house and if nothing else, it's fast! The roof was on within three weeks.

Zutz.....put up story and half timber frame, Century Homes, and at the painting and tiling stage of the build now..I got main contractor to do most of the build, as also had raft foundation, and had a few delays but nothing serious. Packed the house with insulation so a candle should heat it....house frame when up very quickly when it eventually arrived but were delayed by CH for a month...need to plan well in order to save time...but in the end I would highly recommend timber frame..

Hi,

How long do you think it will take the timber frame to be fully finished? Just about to start house with CH as well but we are going to go down the direct labour route as contrators as so expensive.

Regards

I recently bought a timber frame and if we had given the tf manafacturer the complete job he guaranteed us that we would be living in the house in 12 weeks.

Dun na nGall-
I'm curious - do tell more - what TF manuf. is guaranteeing you'll be in in 12 weeks?

The Germans guarantee about a week, including the bathroom and the kitchen. But the concrete slab would have to be there. Try Google for "german timber frame manufacturers" , type in as well "schluesselfertig" which translates to "keyready" and means they give you the keys and you can move in.The Austrians and the Dutch have a similar work pattern.The Poles promise it but quite often fail to deliver on time, but they are cheaper.

classic timber frames from dungannon. it is your responsibility to have finished up to subfloor or finished floor but from the time they start erecting he can have you in the house in 12 weeks.

I am also interested in building a timber frame house and have found this and other threads regarding timber frame homes very informative.

I would like to know if anyone had used Modern Timber Frame Homes, Letterkenny or North West Timber Frame, Ballybofey?

Obviously I want to build in Donegal and would prefer to support local companies but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with either company.

Appreciate any help. Thanks Daisy

I am going to build using Kingspan TEK SIP boards. A crowd in Wexford are going to build it. This is the dogs ***** of TF!! It is airtihght so need to put in a ventilation system. But it will cost about one thrid of the heating costs of a conventional home. Worth taking a look .Google Kingspan or SIP (structural insulated panels).

Redlady]Hi,

Well its a year now since we broke ground and we just got electricity turned on today....!!! builder good but not the quickest and in fairness i didnt push to hard as not renting...could do it in much shorted if better planning, eg CH held us up for a month, but going direct labour I would say best case a year...

Parents house almost ready for moving in, foundations dug out the week before Christmas. They went with Envirohomes from Ardee and are very happy with the build quality and the service they've received.

AJL said:
I am going to build using Kingspan TEK SIP boards. A crowd in Wexford are going to build it. This is the dogs ***** of TF!! It is airtihght so need to put in a ventilation system. But it will cost about one thrid of the heating costs of a conventional home. Worth taking a look .Google Kingspan or SIP (structural insulated panels).

What's the ame of the co in Wexford AJL?

Hi Nisaga

The Timber frame company in wexford. Ask for Brendan Byrne or Stewart Mason.

Thanks AJL...how does the cost of TEK SIP compare with other Timber Frame... or did you go about doing that?

ninsaga

I have had a timber framed house done by a very good company call turn key solutions everything was very fast and finished well.
074 9177364 or feel free to email me

There's now a SIP company actually manufacturing the SIP panels in Ireland, as distinct from importing them - SIP Energy, Athenry, Co Galway.

The SIP panels are available in sizes up to 3m x 15m - so, conceivably, you could have your whole front wall of your house......in one piece. Obviously very, very good for airtightness as well as insulation.

Hi All,

We will be applying for planning this week and are deciding whether to go timber frame or block. We are edging more towards timber for various reasons one being that it’s more energy efficient. We would get the kit from a timber frame company so my question is what does a builder charge to do the extras ie. Complete build minus the shell and erection of timber? I understand its one of those questions how long is a piece of string but what I would be looking for is the square footage cost?

Back