Thomas Cook Workers-5 weeks pay for each year of service what are these guys thinking

Sunny

What the hell were these idiots thinking? They were offered 5 weeks pay for each year of service. There are plenty of people out there that would kill for the deal. It sounds like Thomas Cook dealt with the closure in a callous and unfair way but at least they offered a decent package. I heard some guy on the radio saying all they were looking for was a package that they could survive on for a year or two until they could get another travel agency job!! Hope they don't get a very ****ed off High Court Judge who asks them to explain why he had to order a major garda operation to get them in front of him. I see the trade union ran a mile from the dispute after getting legal advice!!

Re: Thomas Cook Workers

From listening to some of what the workers said, they seem to have an issue with loosing their job whilst the CEO takes a €7m bonus and 34% pay rise. I can understand why that would annoy them.

From listening to some of what the workers said, they seem to have an issue with loosing their job whilst the CEO takes a €7m bonus and 34% pay rise. I can understand why that would annoy them.

but its still a good deal

I am not clear of the basis on which they are looking for more than 5 weeks severance per year of service.

The amount the CEO is paid is a red herring.

The amount the CEO is paid is a red herring.
I agree; if the board thinks he or she is adding value to the business then that pay level is justified. If the office in Dublin is losing money then it should be closed down. 5 weeks per year is a very good pay off.

So the statutory redundancy payment is 2 weeks pay (maximum of €600 per week) for every year service and Thomas cook is offering 5 weeks?

While the Thomas Cook group is making money and hence can pay their CEO a bonus, the Irish Operation is not making money and hence closing. But they do it with a redundancy payment that is higher than what is required by law.

So I am fully behind the high court judge to order them out of the building. I really wonder where they finally found a high court judge that actually has some common sense.

I feel sorry for the workers that lost their job, everyone who loses his job faces bad challenges but doing an illegal sit in is just outrages.

Madness - only in Ireland would a bunch of redundant i.e. unemployed, people go on strike. What do they hope to achieve? Other than getting them out of the building so it can be handed back to the landlord, why would Thomas Cook even care about their strike?

And now 100 people are protesting outside the Four Courts in support of the ex Thomas cook workers that were arrested for breaching a High Court Order.

This is madness as CSIRL says, only in Ireland a bunch of unemployed could go on strike.

If I were an employer I would really think hard of opening a business in Ireland these days, is this the signal our fearless leader and his Muppet show want to send out to the world?

While the Thomas Cook group is making money and hence can pay their CEO a bonus, the Irish Operation is not making money and hence closing. But they do it with a redundancy payment that is higher than what is required by law.

I wouldn't call a loss of 110m in the 6 months to July making money. I guess they are paying the CEO a bonus because the loss was reduced but I don't have any details on his remuneration..

The bonus paid was obscene and there is no defence to it. Not when it is earned by slashing thousands of jobs following a merger. Anyone can reduce costs like that. It's not extraordinary management!

I wouldn't call a loss of 110m in the 6 months to July making money. I guess they are paying the CEO a bonus because the loss was reduced but I don't have any details on his remuneration..

Thank you diarmuidc.
Even if it’s not profit the CEO delivered, a 12.6% up on revenue in the middle of a depression with a dividend up by 15% is not bad. And as you can see UK & Ireland went down by 1.8% while everything else went up.
The discussion if he deserves his bonus is a different one from ex workers engaging in illegal action over a better than required package.

Thank you diarmuidc.
Even if it’s not profit the CEO delivered, a 12.6% up on revenue in the middle of a depression with a dividend up by 15% is not bad. And as you can see UK & Ireland went down by 1.8% while everything else went up.
The discussion if he deserves his bonus is a different one from ex workers engaging in illegal action over a better than required package.
I agree.

The company said it was offering five weeks per year of service as a redundancy package, which will drop to two weeks if the workers do not accept it.

Ha :)

Why RTE were covering these people was laughable.

What a stunt.

Well padded RTE giving these people air time.

What a stunt.

RTE have a strong pro-union left wing agenda. That's why they covered it.

Althought if i was working for thomas cook i wouldn't like the thought of losing my job, but 5 weeks is a very good redundancy package. I think it was just shock that made them react like that. Did i hear right that they turned up for work one morning and were just told to go home they were closed? Or am i thinking of something else? Sorry to say but there has been a lot of these stories lately, i could be getting it confused with something else.

I'm not surprised they haven't been making money. In June I went on a 2 week holiday, it cost me €1200, from thomas cook in Newry. For the exact same holiday, ( flights, dates and hotel ) it would of cost me €2150 to book from thomas cook in Dublin.

What a stunt.

In fairness they aren't the only ones covering it, newstalk, irishtimes and independent have covered it today that i've seen

Back